Pedalboard dilemma. Can't decide on new pedalboard. Any suggestions?

guitarman3001

• Members

I posted a similar thread on another site and wanted to get some more opinions from different people so I'll ask here too.

I've outgrown my pedaltrain Jr and am looking to get a new board.  I've looked all over the place and have come across a bunch of cool ones but I think I've narrowed it down to maybe 3 or 4 options.  I looked at Holeyboards, Trailer Trash, Lyt, and Leprechaun and while I liked the Holeyboard, I've started to think that what I really want is a pedalboard/case combo that you just take the top cover off and the bottom is the board.  No need to pull the board out of a bag or box.  

Here's my short list and what I like and don't like about them.

Pop up and Tilt Pedalboard with ATA case.  Price (after shipping) Approx $140

$(KGrHqV,!jUE9HsbmL0iBPZ2THF8QQ~~60_12.J

popuppedaldone.JPG

Looks pretty cool, I like the storage space underneath the board, but I've read reviews that say it's a little flimsy and that the tilt angle is uncomfortably high.  It also doesn't have any kind of rubber feet on the bottom so it would rest on the metal corners which on a concrete or wood or even carpet stage would be prone to slide around all over the place.  

Pedal Pad - Price $170 shipped

fab50336-61a1-4e37-d459-271b3ed2093a.jpg

41912129.jpg

I think I like this one better than the Pop-Up one but I've read that the carpet covering tends to come off after a while.  Also, the idea of those panels with storage space underneath them looks good at first but I realized that once you put pedals on the board and cable them all up, it would be impossible to open just one panel at a time and would be very difficult and awkward to open the panels without yanking on the cables.  I suppose that could be fixed by just taking a couple of pieces of metal and attaching it to both panels to connect them to each other.   I also haven't been able to find out if there is any kind of foam inside the top lid to keep the pedals secure and keep the panels from opening up and bouncing around when the case is being transported.  I sent them an email and got no reply and called but got a machine.  

NYC Pedalboards Gigman -    Price roughly $210 shipped with the options I'd want.

prod2__09476.1350441629.1280.1280.jpgprod4__60777.1350441630.1280.1280.jpg

I'm really liking this one.  Biggest drawback is it's the heaviest one and most expensive.  Actually a little out of my price range.  But it seems to have almost everything I want although it doesn't have any kind of storage space inside like the others.  It also has that shelf/riser in the back which is removable.   I can also have them put a thick piece of foam in the lid to keep things from bouncing around if a pedal happens to come loose.  Price is the real killer for me on this one.

Or I could just go back to the tried and true and get a bigger Pedaltrain and live without having an all-in-one board/case solution.  

Anyone here have any experience with either of the boards I listed?  Other thoughts?  Other suggestions that I may have overlooked?

• Members

The angle on that first one will hinder your usage, unless all your pedals have big Boss-style footswitches, which usually isn't the case. The Pedal Pad looks better, but the hinges make me think it will not last so long. The Gigman looks good, but it is pricey. I would think that the shelf would be useful.

I would just get a bigger Pedaltrain, and you can get them with the ATA case.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

The angle on that first one will hinder your usage, unless all your pedals have big Boss-style footswitches, which usually isn't the case. The Pedal Pad looks better, but the hinges make me think it will not last so long. The Gigman looks good, but it is pricey. I would think that the shelf would be useful.

I would just get a bigger Pedaltrain, and you can get them with the ATA case.

The cost of the bigger Pedaltrain with the ATA case is not much cheaper than the NYC Gigman case, although there's a used Pedaltrain 2 with case for sale near me for less. But if I'm going to spend almost as much on a PT as I would the Gigman, I think I'd rather get the nicer one with the all in one design.  And yeah, that shelf looks pretty useful.  I could actually stick my wireless receiver under it so it doesn't take up any space on the actual board. As it is right now I have a problem with my Pedaltrain where whenever I reach to turn on one of the pedals on the back row, I always hit the knobs on the pedals in the front row and knock everything all out of whack.  The shelf would fix that.  

• Members

Not digging the first one at all. The angle looks awkward, no under-storage, and without even touching it, it screams cheap to me. 1/4 ply, and no feet? mmmm...nope.

The second and third ones are a bit better. Rat fur covering sucks and will wear and tear very poorly. The gigman would be my choice out of those though.

I use a LYT 32 with a well-padded keyboard bag. 

• Members

Special J wrote:

Not digging the first one at all. The angle looks awkward, no under-storage, and without even touching it, it screams cheap to me. 1/4 ply, and no feet? mmmm...nope.

The second and third ones are a bit better. Rat fur covering sucks and will wear and tear very poorly. The gigman would be my choice out of those though.

I use a LYT 32 with a well-padded keyboard bag. 

Cool.  I'm not sure about the second one but the Gigman is all handmade, made to order.  Yesterday I talked to the guy who makes them.  From what I understood, he runs a one man shop and handmakes everything.   http://www.nycpedalboards.com/   I'm sure the quality is much better than the first one and looks to be at least a little better than the second one.  That's the one I'm really leaning towards.  BTW, the riser is removable, attaches with velcro so it can be either removed or placed anywhere on the board, and can be made any size you want.  The board also comes with a lifetime warranty.  

• Members

I guess it comes down to whether you want the frame structure on the bottom, or the flat bottom with the shelf.

My main board has a flat bottom, and the inability to tuck cables underneath isn't really an issue. I like the idea of the shelf on the Gigman.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

I guess it comes down to whether you want the frame structure on the bottom, or the flat bottom with the shelf.

My main board has a flat bottom, and the inability to tuck cables underneath isn't really an issue. I like the idea of the shelf on the Gigman.

How do you manage the cables to keep the board from looking like a rat's nest?  A long time ago I had a flat pedalboard and the cables were a mess.  

• Members

Hmmm... Well maybe I just have a high tolerance for unkempt cables. I can't post a pic from my phone, but I'll try to remember to post a pic of my pedalboard when I get home. It's not so bad - nothing is in the way of anything else, but it certainly isn't as clean as you can get it on a Pedaltrain.

• Members

The SKB PS tends to be a little more expensive, but are more easily found used than most and MF has the PS-45 on sale right now.  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/skb-ps-45-professional-pedalboard?tandt_rdir=1&nN=true

I like that the SKB gear tends to be a little lighter than traditional construction, are pretty damn tough, and they have lots of different models with different features. 

D

• Members

I looked at the SKB a while ago.  It looks awesome, I like the built in jacks and fx loop and I almost bought one but I didn't because it's just too big.  Compared to the gigman which is basically 24x16, the SKB is 29x21.

I play on some very small cramped stages and a pedalboard the size of the SKB would take up too much floor space. I know it's only 5 inches difference in both directions but on a cramped stage where I can't move without my guitar's headstock poking the singer in the eye, that makes a difference.  

Archived