My third try at using Sharpie paint pens.

honeyiscool

• Members

575589_10100818277981161_1367946320_n.jp

Hey, it turned out well this time!

I did this a few months ago but messed up by not using good clear coat, so I decided to do it right this time. So I did the following:

1. Sand down to bare wood, prep with 220 grit.

2. Spray five coats with Minwax semi-gloss polyurethane. Let sit for a week.

3. Lightly sand with a finishing pad (the in-between coat they sell at Home Depot).

4. Scribble scribble w/ Sharpie paint pens. In areas where I was overlapping one section with different colors, I let the first coat fully dry, as you should with any painting. Let sit for 2-3 days.

5. Spray five coats with satin nitrocellulose. Spray light at first and then a bit heavier for the last few. Let sit for 3-4 days.

6. Lightly sand with a finishing pad and then a 800 grit. Let sit for a few weeks, longer the better. You can probably reassemble the guitar in a week or so.

I think this process should hold up a lot better. There are a certain number of reasons I used a poly base with a nitro topcoat. I found that the Sharpie paint pens just didn't go on nitro very well. They flowed a lot smoother on polyurethane, and since it's no problem to spray nitro on poly, I went that route. As for the reason I used nitro instead of poly for the top coat, I found that after you use the paint pen, there's quite a bit of texture caused by the paint build up from the pens. Since I didn't want to sand before I applied the final clear coat, I figured that nitro would be better at smoothing it out, as the solvents in it would dissolve the existing paint and be a little more seamless. I think it's the right call, the nitro has blended in seamlessly with the paint. Poly might have done that, too, but I figured nitro is easier for touch ups and other things like that. Plus, poly might be a little too aggressive.

Anyway, happy with how it turned out. I'll definitely do it again.

Archived