Squier 60's Classic Vibe Stratocaster? Thoughts?

MaxVolume

• Members

I might be trading an Xbox 360 for one of these. Possibly with a Line 6 15W Spider III. I'm not gonna use the Spider, so I'll either sell it or take it to my 2nd house in the country to leave down there. That's not what I'm after, though. I've been wanting to try a Strat with a rosewood fretboard. My American Standard has an all-maple neck and it's sweet. Due to the wonderful experience my US Strat has given me, I have no problem picking this Squier up. I have been looking and it seems it's a nice guitar. It has different pickups and a different neck than mine, so it should sound a bit differently. Even though it's Squier, it's a higher-end Squier. The higher-end ones, so I hear, are really good instruments, but I just don't have enough experience with them to know for myself.

So that leads me to you guys (and gals). Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Congrats on the CV60s Strat.  I have that same model in sunburst, and it's my go-to guitar over nicer ones a lot.  The stock pickups are just fine -- they are thinly disguised versions of Tonerider's Classic Blues pickup set and they sound great for most blues-rock applications.

Sonically, the only mods I did to mine were to add a Deaf Eddie Chromocaster Switch (a $30 rotary switch that replaces the neck tone knob; it keeps all the standard Strat tones and adds an additional 11 tones ranging from biting country brightness to dual humbucker fatness), a $12 Fralin baseplate under vthe bridge pup for more bawlz, an additional $15 worth of wiring/electronics upgrades and a Tusq nut (it has a minor tendency to bind a bit with the stock plastic nut).  I also replaced the pickguard and pickup covers with black.  It isn't necessarily the best sounding guitar I own -- even though it sounds really good  -- but it's by far the most versatile guitar in my arsenal. If I'm playing electric, I'm playing that guitar 80% of the time.

Enjoy yours, but if you can solder guitar wiring, the Deaf Eddie switch will greatly expand your guitar's capabilities for only $30.  And even if you have to pay a tech $20-25 to install it, it's still well worth the small investment for the huge diversity of tones available.  And because of the nature of the switch replacement, the stock tone knob can be soldered back in within 10 minutes, leaving the guitar bone stock for sale or trade.  

The price of the CV 60s+mods vs what it can do makes it the best bang-for-the-buck guitar I've ever owned.  At some point I'll probably replace the block with a fullsize steel or brass one, and I'll add roller string tree instead of the cheap stamped stock ones, but that will hardly change the sound, so I'm in no hurry.

Archived