PRS SE Opinions?

Sonnilon

• Members

Originally posted by GeorgeMonkey

The SE is good but uninteresting. It lacks personality.

Funny you mention that. I had a similar feeling a few weeks ago. I was really going to go for the SE Soapbar, liked the looks etc, but then played it and it felt too plastic, and sounded really sterile. Couldn't put my finger on it, but it just lacked mojo. I ended up with a Gibson DC P90 that wasn't as perfect as the PRS, but it just oozes character. YMMV of course:)

• Members

I bought a PRS SE Singlecut about a month and a half ago. I put in the seymour duncan Jazz and JB in it too!

{censored}ing love this guitar! Put some 0.10's on and it's just fantastic.

The stock pickups do rock as well but they for the bridge it isn't quite as full and crunchy sounding as the JB.

I liked the singlecut better because it has a little bit of a carved top to it as opposed to the customs.

July20010.jpg

• 6 years later...
  • Members

PRS SE guitars are made by a Korean company called World Musical Instruments, part of the Samick  WMI makes several replicas for PRS, Fender Squire models, Ibanez, all the cheapies.  I'd stay FAR away from that company as their goal is mass production with cheap, non-skilled labor. 

Gibson's Epiphone brand is made in a Chinese factory, ran by Gibson employees, and makes Epi's only.  You would be much better off with an Epiphone with USA-made pickups.  By the way, when you comare Gibson and PRS, the PRS design and materials show that PRS is just copying Les Paul's mahogany/maple/humbucker design.  PRS's look a little different but they are just copying Gibson. 

Your best bet right now is a US made Gibson LPJ for under $700, made in Nashville by Gibson's premier luthiers. 

• Members

iamkenman wrote:

PRS SE guitars are made by a Korean company called World Musical Instruments, part of the Samick  

You are wrong on several counts, idiot.  World Musical Instruments, Inc. Ltd. is a completely different company from Samick Musical Instruments, Inc. Ltd.  

• Members

iamkenman wrote:

PRS SE guitars are made by a Korean company called World Musical Instruments, part of the Samick  WMI makes several replicas for PRS, Fender Squire models, Ibanez, all the cheapies.  I'd stay FAR away from that company as their goal is mass production with cheap, non-skilled labor. 

Gibson's Epiphone brand is made in a Chinese factory, ran by Gibson employees, and makes Epi's only.  You would be much better off with an Epiphone with USA-made pickups.  By the way, when you comare Gibson and PRS, the PRS design and materials show that PRS is just copying Les Paul's mahogany/maple/humbucker design.  PRS's look a little different but they are just copying Gibson. 

Your best bet right now is a US made Gibson LPJ for under $700, made in Nashville by Gibson's premier luthiers. 

Why are you resurrecting 7 year old threads to bash PRS SE's is beyond me.  Nobody believes you anyway.  5 posts and you're the forum expert whose opinion we should respect?  C'mon dude.

• Members

I have the SE Singlecut. From reviews, I didn't expect much from the stock P-90s. The reviews were right, they weren't bad, just a bit bland. I put Lollar P-90s in and now it's an excellent no- frills guitar. Fabulous bang for the buck.

Archived