LP-style pickup upgrade for Yamaha RGX520FZ?

AlexMC

• Members

I've got a Yammie RGX520FZ with carved maple over a mahogony body, mahogany neck, dual humbuckers and tune-o-matic style bridge.

It's my rock and metal guitar, but is underused as I've never been happy with the stock pickups.  I'd like some recommendations on a neck/brige combo to push my sound into LP territory.  I use it for Guns n Roses, Metallica, Peter Green, Rage Against The Machine, AC/DC, Gary Moore so I figure I need something vintage sounding but with lots of power available for heavier tones...

Any suggestions, please?

• Members

I dig those guitars, shame they discontinued them.  Gee, you have options, many.

Duncan Custom Bridge, 59 neck

Duncan Alnico II pro's both bridge and neck

Pearly gates

Burstbuckers, pick your output

Dimarzio Tone Zone Bridge, Paf 36 anniversary neck

BG Bucker Dark Bridge, Lizard neck

And so on, do you like a certain brand or anything?  All of the above pickups and more will give you what you want. I like a meaty, powerful bridge and use a Hellabucker by BG.  It's high output with smooth highs.  Conversly, while many love the JB in the bridge, it hurts my ears but does have great harmonics.  I like clarity in the neck and no boominess, so I don't really like the 59, prefer the Jazz to it actually.  My point is it's pretty particular and part of the problem is there are so many options.  Rose pickups are supposed to be good too but I haven't tried them.

Archived