Floyd Rose Troubles

eosdoom

• Members

I have a Jackson Warrior with locking nut and tremolo. It's a decent guitar for the price, however when i use the whammy, the bridge doesn't go back to the original position and as a result the guitar stays slightly sharp or flat. I have tried a few things, including adding additional springs, but nothing helps. There is also a creaking sound that happens when I use the whammy. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I thought about maybe trying to oil the mounting posts. Not really wanting to take this guitar to a tech, because I am broke and usually stick to DIY remedies. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

• Members

Below is why it is not staying in tune:

"Trouble Shooting the Floyd Rose Tremolo;

Step 1:

Check to see if the base plate is sitting parallel with the top surface of the guitar. If it seems to be tilted forward, toward the pickups, then you need to tighten the springs and retune the guitar and check the tilt again. If it is tilted back toward the body of the guitar loosen the springs and retune the guitar. Repeat this procedure until the bridge sits level."

http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/OriginalFloydRoseInfo.php#basic_topic_5

• Members

Ok, I removed the bridge and checked it out. Also, thanks for the advice, guys. But I found this aftermarket spring, and to be honest, I have no idea what the appropriate tension should be for it.

spring1.jpg

After working it back and forth, I noticed that the spring is very rigid and does not slide smoothly. Wondering if this could be the source of the 'creaking' noise I am hearing, and maybe the tuning slip issues as well. Any ideas or suggestions on how to set this piece correctly? Thanks again.

Archived