Need expert drum advice!

Wrawl

• Members

Tama Imperialstar listed in the newspaper for $1200. I go look at it. It has 2 Imperialstar bass drums, 5 Imperialstar toms (double headed), and 4 unknown concert toms (single headed). I'm pretty sure it has all the hardware, missing a couple drum heads, and supposedly vintage zildjians. There's like 3 crashes, 2 rides, and a pair of hats. I'm pretty sure they are zildjians because I recognize the font; I never did see where it said "Zildjian" but I'm pretty sure.

This is what the Tama website has on Imperialstar: "Imperialstar drums were originally offered until 1986, when they were discontinued in favor of newer style drums. Mahogany shells contributed to their popularity and enormous, deep sound."

There are some scratches on the drums, but no major damage that would hinder the sound. They are asking $1200 for it, and he tells me he bought them for $4000, but this was at least before 1985.

It looks like a great deal to me, but I would really appreciate some expert advice. Is this a good deal or not?

• Members

I've seen an advertisment on a dutch site (www.marktplaats.nl) of an Imperial Star too! It was a 2x22" bass + 5toms (3 mounted, 2 floor) + snare + rack + zildjian cymbals for about 1200 euro's.

Buying them new would cost you MORE than twice the money, so for the money it's a very good deal. But try them first because they have a very characteristic sound. Some drummers love them for life, but others just hate the the sound. I'm not an expert but I can say one thing, the price you pay is really low.

• Members

Thanks Yokozuna, I appreciate the help. Anyway, I bought the set! And I only had to pay $1000! The cymbals alone should be more than $1000, but I told them that the drums needed new heads, which they do, and new heads would cost about $200, so they gave it to me for $1000. I'm so excited!

• Members

I don't have it yet, we're going to go pick it up tomorrow. It's been sitting around for about 10 years, so I'm going to need to dust it off and clean it up. Then I'll need some new heads, and that'll be probably another week before those come in. When I get it all cleaned up and playable, I try to get you guys some pics. It's like a silverish chrome wrap.

• Members

I just got home from getting my new drums! They need some work, but I still got a good deal. The vintage Zildjians made up for all the rust on the hardware. It won't be too bad, just need to soak some stuff in rust remover or something. It'll look incredible when I'm done!:D

Archived