I want to take up drums at some point

bikehorn

• Members

right now i play bass. i love bass. but i also always wanted to play drums, so at some point in the future, i'm going to have to buy a drumset. nothing too fancy though, like not over $500 US in total. i thought about that Slingerland Jam Slam thing. what do i want? what don't i want? what do i look out for? thanks in advance

• Members

haha, poor bikehorn. I know you don't want a reply from me, but i've been wandering all the threads of the drum forum for a couple days... and whenever anyone asks a question like this...

Someone sticks up this link

http://www.drumguru.com/aboutbuyingdrumsets.htm

Hmmm, so yeah. I dunno, have you seen it?:confused:

I printed it out and gave it to "santa" for help on buying me drums. Muahaha :cool:

• Members

if you want to stay under 500 US...

tama offers a entry-level drumset for 399 (swingstar).../w hardware.

a step up from that you can get a rockstar for 749, /w hardware.

if you want to stay under that, a swingstar would be fine. just because they're labeled "entry-level" doesn't mean they're bad. same with some other manufacturers.

each company has entry level kits and 'midrange' kits to take into consideration....just depends on what you're going for.

.......or you could save some $$$, and go used. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by MisfitPixie

haha, poor bikehorn. I know you don't want a reply from me, but i've been wandering all the threads of the drum forum for a couple days... and whenever anyone asks a question like this...

Someone sticks up this link

http://www.drumguru.com/aboutbuyingdrumsets.htm

Hmmm, so yeah. I dunno, have you seen it?
:confused:

I printed it out and gave it to "santa" for help on buying me drums. Muahaha
:cool:

y'know, every time one of the drum forumites comes to the guitar, amp or bass forum(all places i hang out at), i do my {censored}ing best to help his or her sorry ass out. i ask for 2 or 3 useful responses and all i get is 35 views, 0 replies in 2 days!! i just can't understand why other forums don't like you guys much.

• Members

Well, definetly don't hesistate to look for used kits. Harmony-central has an excellent classified page and so do drums.com.

A good drumset needs to have sturdy hardware and decent cymbals, especially for a beginner. Since you are a beginner, I'd say get a drumset with a wrap. But if you want lacquered, you can get it I suppose. Good used kits to look for are.

Pearl Export or Export Select

Yamaha Stage Custom

Tama Rockstar or Rockstar Custom

Those would be my top three choices. The Tama Rockstar Custom would be my top choice though.

• Members

Originally posted by bikehorn

y'know, every time one of the drum forumites comes to the guitar, amp or bass forum(all places i hang out at), i do my {censored}ing best to help his or her sorry ass out. i ask for 2 or 3 useful responses and all i get is 35 views, 0 replies in 2 days!! i just
can't
understand why other forums don't like you guys much.

ah-phf... maybe if you babble off like that some more, you'll get four more replies! ;)

But don't listen to me.

[takes notes]:)

• Members

My suggestion is to find a used kit. If you have a local paper that is just for selling stuff (as opposed to classifieds in the regular paper), that's the way to go.

Or ask around at the local music store - there's bound to be someone local who bought a decent kit, played it for a month or two, then let it collect dust...

If your budget is only $500 - that's really the way to go. Look for Pearl Exports and Tama Rockstars - those are really good entry/mid level kits and used, you could probably score the whole shebang (drums, cymbals, stands).

One option would be the Pearl Rhythm Traveler - it's designed mostly for practice and the cymbals that come with it a re cheap, BUT it's only 400 bucks new and comes with everything you need but sticks. Plus it's smaller than a 'regular' kit so it's easier to move and store. Sure, it doesn't SOUND like a big kit but it also doesn't cost as much...

• Members

y'know, every time one of the drum forumites comes to the guitar, amp or bass forum(all places i hang out at), i do my {censored}ing best to help his or her sorry ass out. i ask for 2 or 3 useful responses and all i get is 35 views, 0 replies in 2 days!! i just
can't
understand why other forums don't like you guys much.

Hey, man, look at the attendance here in the drum forum - there's an average of 3-5 people in here at a time, not 500 like the Open Jam :D

Quality over quantity, my man... ;)

• Members
Originally posted by mR.dnA

Hey, man, look at the attendance here in the drum forum - there's an average of 3-5 people in here at a time, not 500 like the Open Jam
:D

Quality over quantity, my man...
;)

i woulda let it slide if it was in the middle of the first page. but when it ends up at the end of the second page behind all the "what bass drum head to use?" or "what kind of cymbals do you use?" threads, it gets pretty irritating.

• Members

i woulda let it slide if it was in the middle of the first page. but when it ends up at the end of the second page behind all the "what bass drum head to use?" or "what kind of cymbals do you use?" threads, it gets pretty irritating.

I feel yah... But also note the way the topic was worded... no offense but it comes across as "eh, I might try out bangin' the skins at some point, maybe, dunno"... so a lot of people prolly passed it up. (personally I missed it 'cause I haven't been paying attention the last couple days).

Maybe something like "bass player that realized drums are more fun" would have gotten more hits :p

Just pullin' your leg, man... but still - it is true, guys around here seem more likely to just hop in and post about their favorite cymbal or head than to actually write out suggestions about starter kits and stuff.

Let us know if you find anything used local and have questions! Use this thread tho' so it notifies us instead of being buried under "NEAL PEART IS GOD" and "WHY PAISTE SUCKS" threads. :rolleyes:

• Members

Paiste sucks? there's a drummer at my school who uses Paiste, and he sounds awesome.

Hey man - we already went over the "what cymbals do you use" thread problem!! :D

(btw, I play whatever sounds good :cool: )

• Members
Originally posted by Kingnome

Man....you guys have some long and time consuming signatures !!!

Buy local and buy used, the heaviest-dutiest thing you can find.

you ain't seen nothin, biatch. one guy at the guitar forum ahd one so long, the mods cut it short! anyway thanks y'all

Archived