Tell me about Univox guitars please.

glassberg

• Members
  • Members

This page seems to sum it up.. I know it isn't counterfeit because the persons grandfather purchased it new many years ago.. Maybe I'll email the guitar specs like the person on this page asks..

Thanks for those links!

If you had the original brochure-case candy, that would be amazing!

• Members

I agree, I think it's fair to assume it's one of the Univox's destined for Canada since that is where I live and I got word back from the person I got it from and it was purchased in 1974-75. It really plays well, I don't understand all the different Logo Idea's the company had but, from what I read they have put out a number of guitars with different logo's.

If anyone else has more info or any idea of it's value I would like to hear your thoughts. I own a phase 1 Hi-Flyer and this guitar is of much better quality. I don't think it's worth the reckless price of the cheesy Hi-Flyers but, it is 100% better built/feel.

• Members

I bought this in '70 for $25. I use it for slide only and it sounds great for that. I installed a new nut and a Gotoh bridge and tailpiece a few years ago. It used to have those dreadful nylon saddles on it. Also, there is no tear in the chair. I don't know what that white splotch is?

univox.jpg

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hi folks, I'm the new guy here....

I was given a Univox "Mother" by a friend, in it's original case.  Never played one, but remember a lot of guys had them back in the day.  This one looked real nice...just a little wear.  I brought it to the studio and they fell over it!  Played nice, sounded great, but needed a little work.  We replaced the crap tuners, and the selector switch, general 'clean-up, new strings and a setup.  The neck (bolt on) was almost perfect.  I guess I finally hit on one of the better knock-offs of the day.  I use it a lot.

Univox3.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived