Do we have any chicken pickers here?

Visconti

• Members

Great stuff! I have David Grissom's Hot Licks Video. He incorporates a lot of the pedal steel/banjo roll country stuff as well as pretty convincing Blues/ Rock chops. All done with more than a touch of overdrive. Both guys are truly monstrous! Vince Gill doesn't get his props for great Country guitar. He should. Not as "busy" as Brent or David, Vince plays it sweet and tasty only occasionaly ripping off a "What tha?" moment. I only dabble in it but I love Country guitar.

• Members

I don't know, I think people that listen to and know country music and keep track of things like players names definitely know Vince Gill as being a great player.
He is as well respected in country music as a guitar player as any of the other big names ad far as guitar players go and will always be mentioned pretty quickly on that list right along with Brent Mason and others. I don't think he is under rated ir doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he gets plenty. Difference between Vince and some of the other guys is that he can sing like a mofo too so half the time you would be talking about him, its about his vocals and not specifically guitar, but I think among people that keep track of players names, Vince will always be one of the first dudes mentioned when it comes to great country players.

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

I don't know, I think people that listen to and know country music and keep track of things like players names definitely know Vince Gill as being a great player.

He is as well respected in country music as a guitar player as any of the other big names ad far as guitar players go and will always be mentioned pretty quickly on that list right along with Brent Mason and others. I don't think he is under rated ir doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he gets plenty. Difference between Vince and some of the other guys is that he can sing like a mofo too so half the time you would be talking about him, its about his vocals and not specifically guitar, but I think among people that keep track of players names, Vince will always be one of the first dudes mentioned when it comes to great country players.

Yeah I know. Vince Gill is a great player. That's why Eric Clapton keeps inviting him to the Crossroads Festivals.

The difference between Vince and Brent is Vince is a touring artist and Brent just stays in Nashville and plays on about 80% of all the records of well known acts.

Brent plays all the electric guitars on the Toby Keith record that has the song Beer for my horses. The opening riff is Brent Mason.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Country records always have great instrumenals. I would like to be able to play country lead guitar, but I just haven't learned. I was the bass player in a country band for a while, though.

Yeah, you just have to get some DVD's and get into it. I have been into Country guitar playing a long time, but I can play metal. I used to tune my guitars down to C#.

Watch this video of Brent Mason playing some cool jazz with a bunch of his buddies at the NAMM show in Nashville. Brent is playing his new PRS signature guitar. Korina body, maple neck with maple or rosewood fretboard. Custom pups that cover a lot of sounds.

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

I became aware of Vince's stellar guitar chops at the first Crossroads Festival in Dallas. I knew about Brent, Johnny Hiland and David Grissom, and dug the "old guard"; James Burton( For me, The King) Glen Campbell, Roy Clark, Don Rich, Roy Nichols etc. but Vince's vocals were what I was aware of. His set at the Crossroads Festival was an eye/ear opener for me. He did a ( ironically) "Crossroads" TV concert with Sting recently that allows him a lot of guitar space. Dominic Miller, Sting's excellent guitarist gives Vince free reign. Recommended.

Archived