how often do you guys change your heads?

acesclone

• Members

If it's a coated head and the coating is coming off, then it's time to change.

Otherwise, if the head has alot of dents or seems to have a "crater" in the middle, it's time to get a new one.

For me, that's every few months, but it will be different depending on your sons playing habits, that will be different.

• Members

Alot depends on how you play. Some drummers have a neanderthal style that they try to put the stick through the head with every beat. Others play lightly.

It also depends on the type of heads you use. If you are using single ply clear, they are likely to get dented easily, stretched easily, or worse.

I use Attack heads on most things with terrific results. I also have one kit that has Remo Renaissance heads in the emperor weight. They have been on 4 different kits and still play well. They are at least 3 years old. The Attack 2 ply Old school calf like heads are about the same.

IMISS is correct that if it gets alot of dents or craters in the middle, then they will definitely need changing. However, before that happens, the tuning should probably be out of whack. As the heads stretch out, they are more difficult to tune and keep in tune. That's my usual criteria for changing heads. When the drum won't stay in tune, the heads go. That's way before I get tons of dents and such.

Wes

• Members

Originally posted by imissthewar

If it's a coated head and the coating is coming off, then it's time to change.

Otherwise, if the head has alot of dents or seems to have a "crater" in the middle, it's time to get a new one.

For me, that's every few months, but it will be different depending on your sons playing habits, that will be different.

Indeed. Personally I replace my heads 2 times a year. Some drummers replace their drumheads every week, some drummers prefere to never replace thear heads. It's really personally I guess.

I can say one thing, when you are beginning drummer and hit the heads the right way you can use the heads for a long period!

• Members

I replace mine every 6 months or so. A good foundation based on technique will be very benefical. I re-tune my drums about every 2-3 months and this is a good time to check for wear. Dimples/dents in the head, wear of the coating (you'll be able to tell) or sagging in the middle are all signs to get new heads. Resonance heads (the underside heads) usually aren't replaced because they don't get nearly as much wear as the batter. Hope this helps.

Archived