Neck damage, best method to repair?

bdwgml@gMail.com

• Members

I was having a little fun trying to compete in a challenge on Rocksmith last Friday and had the sudden urge to deficate.

Like an idiot, I leaned by Fender Stratocaster up against the TV tray table next to my chair, then I heard it go bump against my coffee table while I was immobile.

It put a nasty gash in the neck & I could have kicked myself across the room for not laying it down for my bathroom break.

S5000485-PS.jpg

I tried some silly things first, to avoid sanding the whole thing down. Some clear coat sealer for automobiles, some clear acrylic fingernail paint.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I got a can of Satin lacquer which seems to be similar to whatever Fender used, but it still leaves a dark mark where it banged the table.

• Members

it's a ding.  i've got several on my strat.  file under "do not lean guitar up against things"....and move on.

yer NOT gonna get that out of there without serious sanding AND re shooting the neck.

it's "war wounds".  it happens.  and anyone who does NOT have some....doesn't PLAY guitar.

• Moderators

MONGOOZ wrote:

it's a ding.  i've got several on my strat.  file under "do not lean guitar up against things"....and move on.

yer NOT gonna get that out of there without serious sanding AND re shooting the neck.

it's "war wounds".  it happens.  and anyone who does NOT have some....doesn't PLAY guitar.

Mongooz is spot on....move on and learn

• Members

MONGOOZ wrote:

This. I get the feeling, though. If any harm came to my Tele, I'd be mortified. But it happens. Had one of my Strats since I was 11, (which was eleven years ago) and it's pretty beat up. Your main will get battered and scarred.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A little late to try...but, go to the drug store and get a bottle of 90% isopropol rubbing alcohol. Drop a drop into the ding and light the (small amount) of alcohol which has "pooled" in the ding, on fire (with a small match). The alcohol/fire will "pull" the ding out (don't catch you, or your guitar on fire, be careful). You might have to "flame cure" the ding a few times before it takes to the original form (no ding). It works. 

• Members

I really appreciate the feedback. What I've done so far is iron the spot, then I sanded it, dropped some poly drops on the spot to fill it, then sanded & re-sprayed it a few times (between sanding).

I will definitely refer to this thread when/if it happens again, and I thank everyone for their inputs.

Archived