What's your stick?

acesclone

• Members

i got a pack of hickory 5a's from Guitar Center (generic brand). I get them in bulk. Pretty stable, and I always have a clean pair ready to go for my next show. No need to spend lots of $$ on something that is going to break eventually.

• Members

I use Promark 727's, oak, not hickory. I've found hickory splinters a lot easier. I had a pair of oak 7A Promarks last through 4 months of rim shots and heavy hitting.

But...if you're breaking Ahead's, you're going to break wooden sticks too, obviously. You'll probably break them at a faster rate than the Ahead's so if you're looking for $$ savings, I don't think it'll make too much of a difference here. It might be a good idea to figure out why you're breaking sticks. Sure, it's gonna happen sometimes, but IMO if it happens too frequently (or if you're breaking steel sticks on your kit :eek: ) it's a good idea to address your technique and your setup. You may just have a bad angle to some cymbals causing you to dig in awkwardly.

Every so often, I like to buy 3 or 4 different pairs of sticks and try them out during practices for extended periods. Try pairs at the store and pick out the 3 or 4 that feel best to you, buy them and them give them a real test on your kit for a few weeks and narrow it down from there.

Good luck and happy rockin!

• Members

Lately I been using Pro-Mark 747B in Oak I think I got a bad batch

the tips kept coming off and I broke every stick that I got. In the past I used the same stick in Hickory and didn't have a problem.

• Members

Originally posted by ulank

I

But...if you're breaking Ahead's, you're going to break wooden sticks too, obviously. You'll probably break them at a faster rate than the Ahead's so if you're looking for $$ savings, I don't think it'll make too much of a difference here. It might be a good idea to figure out why you're breaking sticks. Sure, it's gonna happen sometimes, but IMO if it happens too frequently (or if you're breaking steel sticks on your kit
:eek:
) it's a good idea to address your technique and your setup. You may just have a bad angle to some cymbals causing you to dig in awkwardly.

Honestly, I broke two pairs of the Ahead in 3 years, so that is not too bad. The problem is, it is getting harder and harder to get the sleeves, etc. I would like to find a set of wood sticks that I like. Maybe I should stick with the Ahead.

• Members

Originally posted by acesclone

Honestly, I broke two pairs of the Ahead in 3 years, so that is not too bad. The problem is, it is getting harder and harder to get the sleeves, etc. I would like to find a set of wood sticks that I like. Maybe I should stick with the Ahead.

That's not too bad. Yah, without clean sleeves they get tore up pretty easily. It never hurts to experiment. Go try a bunch of wood sticks, compare with your Ahead's and go from there.

• Members

As far as breaking sticks goes. It gets better after you are more experienced. It is the same with breaking Guitar strings. When you are first starting and your on stage and your mind is going crazy from excitment, you tend to play harder without even realizing it. Alot of it has to do with your playing techniques, which should be looked at. But I believe it is just as much a mental issue as well. Anyways this is all to say that as you get more experienced you break a lot less sticks, because your mind is more relaxed and you can focus on your technique more, while playing in a live situation. I still have sticks that I bought and have used from a year ago. I'm not a light hitter, but I don't kill the drumhead as well. Happy Playing, it does get cheaper.

• Members

Try the Aquarian Graphites...they are pretty great. A nice feel...about equal to wood in weight. They don't splinter at all and I havent broken mine in over 6months of playing. At the same time I'm not cracking them on the rims or slicing them thru cymbals...I'm not saying you are either....but form goes along way to not breaking sticks...unless the sticks are just junk anyway.

But give those a try. You might have to just order them because not many places stock them. But I dig em.

I also use Pro 747 oaks. and those are really nice...they splinter eventually but i havent had one break on me yet...

good luck

• Members

I'm a noob drummer. I use Lar Ulrich sig Ahead sticks. I bought them cause they had his name on 'em. But as it turns out I really dig them. More so than wood sticks.

Oddly enough, a drummer friend I have breaks those same stick at the rate of one every 4 months....

• Members

ok i was very questionable about doing this but i bought a pair of travis barker sig. sticks and i found them to be rather durable, they just kinda chopped up but they are very strong internally. they are slightly skinnier than a 2b and a lil longer, so they are very easy to play.

• Members

originally posted by iplayloudly

i use zildjian 7A nylon tips. pretty light and i dont have any problems with them breaking.

Man... you must not play that loudly

Anyway, I use Weckl sig's and vic firth 5A's. Nicely balanced sticks.

• Members

Originally posted by Liverneck

Man... you must not play that loudly

lol!? heheh

I used a pair of Promark 7A's that lasted about four months and I definitely don't play quietly. Rim shots 80% of the time on the snare. In the end, they technically didn't "break". Basically, the side of the stick just came off. I've since "upgraded" to Promark 727's for a fuller tone, but I truly believe the player has a lot more control over breaking sticks than is typically believed.

I got in a funk once and my techninque was all over the place. I was shaving and breaking 5A sticks like an epilleptic in a chandellier store. Came to my senses and haven't broken a stick since.

• Members

Originally posted by acesclone

I have decided to get rid of my Aheads(just broke another pair!) and was wondering what you guys suggest for a durable, good, stick choice. been using 5B but I am willing to learn.

Go here and order a pair of AQUARIAN X-10 sticks.

You won't be breaking these babies!

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/ms_detail.html?sku=0000422&cart=32101596085655011&searchtitle=drumsticks

You want the ones with the red grip on them. They are super comfortable.

Tim

Archived