Iron cobra or DW 5000?

treb

• Members

Hey drummers which kick pedal do you prefer?Now I relize that there are many more pedals out there,But i'm interested in just these ones (unless somone has a better pedal like an axis or something like to hear your opinions between the 2 above mentioned

thanks

• Members

While I have yet to own an Iron cobra, I have played one. I think most drummers would agree the Dw5000 is the benchmark for modern quality pedals. (I used to own 2 beofre I switched to Mapex for cost reasons)I believe that the Iron cobra is a level above the DW5000 for several reasons:

1. More adjustements

2. newer design

3. expandability

4. cost

• Members

I personally believe that most DW hardware is well overpriced, buy yourself the iron cobra, you will be just as satisfied or more satisfied with it. The price is much more reasonable and i believe the feel is much more of a regular single pedal. There is no need to have to get used to the pedal, you will have enough to worry about learning how to make it sound like you arent a retard when you use it.

• Members

i have played both extensively, i like the dw pedals more, i wish i got the dw instead of the iron cobra. I don't like the power cam on the cobra for starters, and the pedals themselves seem over-engineered, ie they are so well made they are too heavy and too sluggish. I like the dw pedals with the single chain personally.

• Members

Originally posted by stapes2260

i have played both extensively, i like the dw pedals more, i wish i got the dw instead of the iron cobra. I don't like the power cam on the cobra for starters, and the pedals themselves seem over-engineered, ie they are so well made they are too heavy and too sluggish. I like the dw pedals with the single chain personally.

This is exactly how I feel about the Iron Cobras as well...they are SUPER SLUGGISH...compared to a set of DWs :D

Personally I just ordered some AXIS A's....can't wait to give them a shot. If this war would just end...:mad:

• Members

I hemmed and hawed between Cobra's, DW's and Pearl Eliminators. Ended up with the Cobra's. Feel wise, I liked the Pearls best, the DW's made me feel like I was RoboKick and the Iron Cobra's were sort of, eh, nice, but they "lacked something." (not too fond of the beaters either) But I went to the store the fourth time and asked the guy about the three pedals and in the end, the Cobra's seemed the most practical/economical for a gigging drummer and that's what I bought.

Every adjustment can be done with the "hammer" key that's conveniently attached to the left pedal.

The springs have a quick release.

The pedal height and beater angle can be adjusted separately (i.e. adjusting the beater won't affect the pedal height and vice versa)

Comes with a sturdy carrying case (though I wish it had a lock).

I'm really starting to like these pedals. I keep tweaking them for the right feel and I think I'm getting real close to what I'm after. Compared to some {censored}ty Gibralters it was a blessing to put these behind the kick.

Play the both extensively and ask yourself what you need out of it.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I just got an IC Power Glide. Left pedal is better than DW 5000. DW left pedal lags far behind right in that it's mushy and developed a lot of play. The IC adjustments are also better, especially separate foot board angle and beater angle adjustments. Maybe DW 9000 has that. Don't know. IC has very even feel between L & R.

• Members

the dw9000 are nice, not quite as good as the 5000's... the iron cobras i broke after a few days and they were hard to work on... needed to take them completly apart to adjust... done.

the trick pedals are what i'm getting when i get ready to upgrade. the trick pedals are sick. smoother and machined aluminum and less working parts and NO chain or belt...

check them out. trick is the future in peddles. :thu:

paradiddle? Please expound.

• Members

i have DW 5002 single chain. bought it used.

very happy.

before that I only had a Gibralter double pedal. I could never get the response from Gibralter, and I kept tightening the springs. Then I even got new springs from home depot to get it super tight. Still not quite the response I wanted.

then I got the DW 5002. it was 100% looser than the gibralter... but somehow the response is perfect. so I'm a big fan.

I'm sure both DW and IC are great, but I'm a fan of my DW pedal.

• Members

I've played various pedals over the years. I had a set of Gibraltar pedals that I used maybe 6-8 years ago. They were good for the price, but I always wanted Iron Cobras or DWs.

I had played a set of Iron Cobras back then and I liked them for sure. When I bought my own kit, I got a set of DW drums and a DW 9000 double kick to go with it. It's an incredible pedal.

A friend at work got a Roland TD-20 kit with the 9000 double kick and another guy at work (who has a real kit) sat down and fell in love with the pedal. In the week previous he had told me that I was insane for spending that much on a pedal. Now he wants one. :D

I really think any high end pedal is hard to go wrong with. You're going to have to get used to any new hardware that you've got to become one with. I'd be hard pressed to believe there's much of a difference.

• Members

the dw9000 are nice, not quite as good as the 5000's... the iron cobras i broke after a few days and they were hard to work on... needed to take them completly apart to adjust... done.

the trick pedals are what i'm getting when i get ready to upgrade. the trick pedals are sick. smother and machined aluminum and less working parts and NO chain or belt...

check them out. trick is the future in peddles.
:thu:

I owned IC Power Glides. Great pedals. I have Axis LB's now. I would and probably will own another set of IC's down the road. I bought the Pearl Eliminator strap double that was on the spam thread as back-ups to use in the blues band and when I play a single kick.

Paradiddle,if you broke your IC's after a few days, it must have been a spring or something like that. The IC's are beefy. I don't think they were hard to work on or adjust at all. And there is absolutely no reason to take them completely apart to adjust. That's just not necessary.

can't comment on the DW's. Never owned a set.

• Members

and they were hard to work on... needed to take them completly apart to adjust... done.

Only if you are a moron. Wait...

I recently bought a 5000 to try out. To adjust the foot board angle, I HAD to take the friggin' chain off the cam and move it to another position. I believe it had about four or five holes to set the angle.

On the IC all you have to do is stop playing, reach down, grab the allen head tool on the pedal, loosen one allen head screw [pedal still attached to the bass drum and ass still in throne] and set the foot board angle where I wanted it. Tighten screw, done.

I since took the 5000 back and got another IC.

• Members

the beater device (unit holding beater arm) is sliding to the left and right and it annoys the {censored} outta me and it makes a squeaking sound i can't stand... there is a aluminum wheel cylinder holding the beater where you tighten down the allen screw to adjust but the wheel itself it the part moving... only way to adjust that is by dismantling the entire peddle.

and i've NEVER had to work on my dw 5000 or 9000 peddles. only a slight camber adjustment and good to go. :blah:

also tama makes cheap {censored} for drum keys as it's already stripped out on the socket end... what the {censored} are they making these out of {censored}ing pewter for christ sakes. tama used to have my respect but the last 5 years they been producing third world {censored} in the quality of the metal and temper they use.

cheesydiddly you sir are a liar. i know what i'm talking about douche. anyone with a brain knows dw 9000 peddle kills the iron cobra. period. so as far as morons go i think you've been looking in your mirror too long, now go floss.

I owned IC Power Glides. Great pedals. I have Axis LB's now. I would and probably will own another set of IC's down the road. I bought the Pearl Eliminator strap double that was on the spam thread as back-ups to use in the blues band and when I play a single kick.

Paradiddle,if you broke your IC's after a few days, it must have been a spring or something like that. The IC's are beefy. I don't think they were hard to work on or adjust at all. And there is absolutely no reason to take them completely apart to adjust. That's just not necessary.

can't comment on the DW's. Never owned a set.

Archived