Good site to learn one-handed roll?

CoolDrum3

• Members

Ok, I'm a little embarrassed. Even with my extensive marching and jazz background, I never learned this! Can anyone recommend a site that has a tutorial or the like? I'm dead set on learning this by the end of the summer. I need a new trick to take to fusion band in the fall :D!

Thanx,

Eric

• Members

I can tell you how to do it.

It can NOT be done using matched grip.

You do it using the left hand of the Traditional grip.

You actually move the stick back and forth by pressing down on it with your index and middle finger, and then raise it with you ring and pinkie fingers.

So 2 fingers make the strike, and 2 fingers raise the stick for the next strike..... There's very little wrist involved.

You're going to need some diggit stick weights.

So, if you want to learn it, just hold the traditional grip, and begin snapping the stick against the head using ONLY the fingers on top, while gripping the stick with the bottom two fingers, so that all 4 fingers move together.....that will help you build the muscles you'll need....it's different than traditional grip, in that you actually have to physically move the stick with your fingers.

It's a Brush technique applied to a stick. Jim Chapin was the one who came up with it, and after Buddy Rich an all those old timers died off, Chapin started teaching some of his more advanced students.

I played Traditional Grip for years, and I still had to put in almost a whole years worth of practice to really be able to pull it off the way that I wanted to.

There are some guys who claim to play a one handed roll with the matched grip, but what they are doing is a Moeller techniue of fast singles...but it still doesn't sound like a roll.

Then there are the guys who put the stick on the rim, using it as a fulcrum point, and they "rock" the stick back and forth like a teeter-totter.

There's a trick to the one handed roll that I'm leaving out.

IF you want to learn it, buy the video from Ballistic Bassdrums. I did when Joe first announced that he was going to sell it. IT was definitely worth the $35.

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by schecter_elite

Your a greedy ass, just tell the poor kid, if not, don't bother advertising your lame video.

Schecter_elite,

It's not my video.

It's Joe Stronisck of Ballistic Bassdrums that sells it.

I paid $35 for it just like everyone else.

I can tell you how to do it all day long, but until you see it done, it won't make any sense.

I tried making my own video and putting it online , but it was made with a webcam, so the video doesn't "stream" well....it looks like a bunch of jittery images....while you hear the audio.

Cooldrum3,

That is all that is on the video. It teaches you how to do a one handed roll, and it sounds just like an open multiple-stroke roll.

On the site they claim that it's easy to pick up, but in truth - it takes a while to really get it down, because your fingers aren't used to controlling the stick like they will need to, to be able to do this, and if you are not used to playing traditional grip, it may take you even longer.

I wanted to be able to hit just as hard using this method as I do playing a roll with 2 hands, which meant I had to put a lot of time into it.

http://www.ballisticdrums.com/one-hand-roll.htm

Tim

• Members

I play traditional grip as well. I also bought the Jim Chapin video to get some stick control and speed. He is amazing to watch but like you said does not give out any secrets but great advice along with some fabulous video of him playing. I think it would be a long road to get the snare hand to do a good one handed roll. I can do a good one with my cymbal hand but the other will certainly take practise. Anybody want to get the Jim Chapin video it is on ebay right now(mine). He is truly amazing.

• Members

Originally posted by 88Fingers

I can't do it myself, but the drummer in my band can play a one-handed roll matched grip... it doesn't have to be traditional; there's just a different technique for doing it the other way.

So, it sounds exactly like a roll he would do with two hands?

I've heard tons of guys claim to be able to do it, but I've met very few that can actually do one. Most of the time, what the guys who attempt it with a matched grip do, is a variation of the moeller technique. You cock and release your hand as fast as possible, I can do a 16 note strike (just like you were playing 16th notes on a hi-hat) with either hand, but it sounds nothing like a buzz roll, which is what a true one handed roll sounds like.

I'm waiting to see what Cooldrum3 thinks about my onehanded roll.:D

Tim

• Members

actually all of are answering the question wrong, when he says one handed roll, he means, playing a drum roll with one hand and fast as you could with two.

it can only be done in matched grip because of the leverage of the stick.

the basic idea is that you have the stick do a rimshot and then the head hits the top, it is really hard to explain. though for a good audible example, DL the song called "portal" by the band Origin. it opens up with a one handed roll and he uses them all over that specific CD.

kyle

• Members

Originally posted by the other kyle

actually all of are answering the question wrong, when he says one handed roll, he means, playing a drum roll with one hand and fast as you could with two.

it can only be done in matched grip because of the leverage of the stick.

the basic idea is that you have the stick do a rimshot and then the head hits the top, it is really hard to explain. though for a good audible example, DL the song called "portal" by the band Origin. it opens up with a one handed roll and he uses them all over that specific CD.

kyle

Kyle,

A handfull of the old bigband drummers (Buddy Rich was most famous for it) did what is called the onehanded roll....it sounds just like a buzz roll...and it is done with the left hand of traditional grip. The stick actually moves in a circular motion, once you get it moving.

It's the same basic principal as the heel toe technique becuase with the left hand of the traditional grip the fulcrum is BEHIND where you are raising and lowering the stick. You've got it backwards.

I know what you guys are talking about, and that is not a one handed roll.

What you are talking about is not a onehanded roll. What you are talking about is called a Rim press, where the rim of the drum is used as a fulcrum point.

What I'm talking about uses nothing of the sort. I can do a one handed roll with each hand, on 2 cymbals, or on the snare and a cymbal at the same time.. even on 2 toms at the same time.

My hand is up in the air, and the stick never touches the rim of the drum.

The technique that you are talking about is nothing more than placing the stick on the rim of the drum and "see-sawing" back and forth as fast as you can.

For what you are talking about, you can go to Mike Mangini's site and see a live video of him doing that.

Tim

• Members

Ok, this is a little off topic, but I noticed at the end of the first 'quote' in the link provided by Fafnir, the guy mentions something about purchasing the Ballistic Bass Drum System...any idea what that is?

Also, I have never even dabbled in traditional grip, so is it realistic to think that I might be able to play the one-handed-roll any time soon? That question is asked after making the assumption that there is NO way to do a one-handed-roll using matched grip - which I would be correct in assuming, right? :confused:

Thanks

• Members

Nick,

Anyone can learn the onehanded roll, it just takes time to build up your fingers, and that will solely depend upon how much time you invest in practicing it.

Joe Stronsick, the guy who sells the ballistic bassdrum system, which is nothing more than a Heel-Toe/doublestroke roll played with the feet, sells a Videotape for $35 shipped. The video is of John Matthews, who was one of Jim Chapin's students. At a "semi-secret" class for his more advanced students, Jim Chapin taught them how to do the one handed roll. And John Matthews made a video on how to do it, and it is only available through Stronsick/Ballistic Bassdrums.

Any of these techniques can be mastered, it solely depends upon how much time YOU are willing to put into it.

I practice 45 minutes a day, 7 days a week just on the drumpad. I haven't been able to play my kit regularly since January; I lost my bandroom, so in the time since then I began seriously woodshedding, and my hands are in better condition than they have ever been in. The same goes for my feet. I made a pair of bassdrum practice pads out of wood, metal, and foam so that I could hook my pedals up to them, and my feet are now faster than they have ever been as well.

A lot of people think Stronsick's stuff is a ripoff, but I think it's worth the money....okay so it's not made like a "pro" video, but personally I'm after the techniques contained on the video, not the actual quality of the video.

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by Fafnir777

Nick,

Anyone can learn the onehanded roll, it just takes time to build up your fingers, and that will solely depend upon how much time you invest in practicing it.

Joe Stronsick, the guy who sells the ballistic bassdrum system, which is nothing more than a Heel-Toe/doublestroke roll played with the feet, sells a Videotape for $35 shipped. The video is of John Matthews, who was one of Jim Chapin's students. At a "semi-secret" class for his more advanced students, Jim Chapin taught them how to do the one handed roll. And John Matthews made a video on how to do it, and it is only available through Stronsick/Ballistic Bassdrums.

Any of these techniques can be mastered, it solely depends upon how much time YOU are willing to put into it.

I practice 45 minutes a day, 7 days a week just on the drumpad. I haven't been able to play my kit regularly since January; I lost my bandroom, so in the time since then I began seriously woodshedding, and my hands are in better condition than they have ever been in. The same goes for my feet. I made a pair of bassdrum practice pads out of wood, metal, and foam so that I could hook my pedals up to them, and my feet are now faster than they have ever been as well.

A lot of people think Stronsick's stuff is a ripoff, but I think it's worth the money....okay so it's not made like a "pro" video, but personally I'm after the techniques contained on the video, not the actual quality of the video.

Tim

Thanks for the reply, Tim. From what you wrote, it seems like the 'Ballistic Bass Drum System' video is kind of a waste of money because there is no 'secret' to playing a double stroke roll using heel-toe method...agreed?

There was earlier mention of the 'rim press' technique that is used by Mike Mangini, among other drummers...is there any site that has a tutorial on how to do the rim press? I think I would rather try and learn the rim press first, instead of trying to learn the one-handed roll right off since I have no experience with traditional grip. Think this is a good idea?

Thanks again.

• Members

Originally posted by Nick

Thanks for the reply, Tim. From what you wrote, it seems like the 'Ballistic Bass Drum System' video is kind of a waste of money because there is no 'secret' to playing a double stroke roll using heel-toe method...agreed?

There was earlier mention of the 'rim press' technique that is used by Mike Mangini, among other drummers...is there any site that has a tutorial on how to do the rim press? I think I would rather try and learn the rim press first, instead of trying to learn the one-handed roll right off since I have no experience with traditional grip. Think this is a good idea?

Thanks again.

The Rim press roll is easy.(I've also heard it called a fulcrum press roll.)

Take the stick and hold it in your hand. place it across the rim and raise the butt end until the stick hits the head. then lower it and repeat the process.

You move it like a see-saw/teeter totter.

After you get it goibng fast enough, the stick WILL raise off of the Rim, and you will start getting some Rimshots out of it.

Tim

Archived