Hi, a girl friend of mine wants to start on drums... verve or pulse set???

hangwire

• Members

They are both absolute crap and my only suggestion is to stay far far away from them...the reasons being

1) The bearing edges on the drums are more than likely un-even, making the drum near-impossible to tune

2) the resale value on them is non-existant

3) the hardware rusts and falls apart

4) The snare drums you get with those sets are complete trash

5) Any cymbals that come with them are equally useless

There are plenty of cheap drums from respectable companies that you can get. Tama Swingstar and Rockstar are both well priced, Pacific (subsidary of DW) offers some decent drums for cheap, Premier's cabria is decent and not that expensive. With these drums comes another $200 or so dollars but they are DEFINATELY worth it. When buying a first set don't go with the cheap stuff because it will only turn you off to the instrument

• Members

Try to find a Name-brand drumset that will accomodate you friend's size.

If she is sort of a petite size, get her a Tama Stagestar (a good student set)...with bassdrum sizes of 18" or 20"

If she is the big and husky type (lucky you...:p ), get her something bigger, like a Swingstar or Rockstar.

• Members

Originally posted by schecter_elite

Coming from me, I have a coda(basically a no name kit) with all the features of an export(same # lugs, same mounting hardware, etc....) I got it used off ebay for

tell me more about rondo kit please ;)

• Members

now on ebay i find this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2549589378&category=38097

for $140 and I can pick them up here in Milwaukee...

so If I am buying at the bottom anyway, why should I not go for these???

also, out of the pulse, verve, rondo (which one? 300 or the 70 cheaper one? I can't tell the diff.) and this ebay cheapy... which woudl you get to start out and play shows with.... basically keeping a beat, hitting hard, not too much fancy drumming.

• Members

Originally posted by hangwire

is there REALLY that much of a difference? we have to stay around $300, do any ebay retailers have decent sets (gig worthy in the garage) in that range???

Yes there really is a difference. Drums are a musical instrument. You get what you pay for.

Student kits ($250 to $600 if you buy a brand name) are basically the same no matter which brand you buy. I have heard that Pacific makes the best, but they all suffer from cheap construction and too few lugs making tuning extremely difficult for even an experienced drummer, much less a beginner. The common solution is to put heavy double ply heads like pinstripes on them to get rid of the over ring (and all the top frequencies with it). They are fine for rehersals, but not gigs (unless you trigger all your sounds). The cymbals that you get with student kits are not suitable for anything but the trash can. The hardware is usually junk too.

Much better would be to look for a used entry level kit like Pearl Export, Tama Rockstar, Yamaha Stage Custom, etc. There are lots of them for sale with cymbals and hardware in the $400 to $600 depending on condition. They sell new with hardware and without cymbals for about $800 or so. They don't sound as good as a professional kit, but lots of drummers gig with them.

With $1500, you could look for a used professional kit.

There is no subsitute for good cymbals. To start, its best to have a ride, crash and high hats. You can buy them one at a time if money is a problem. High hats first, then ride, then crash. Quality of the crash is not as important as the hats and ride. There are tons of old 14" Zildjian A hats around. Buy used cymbals if you can. If not abused they last for decades. Avoid cracks and keyholing (notch worn in center hole).

If you buy any hardware, double braced stands is overkill. Gilbrater and I am sure other companies too make good single braced stands that weigh much less than the double braced stuff and work just as well. Pacific, Pearl, Yamaha and Tama all make decent stuff. DW is expensive.

• Members

Tunning is very important on drums. You will be able to tell how {censored}ty the sound of "the human metronome" is if drums are not tuned correctly. Or if they are a good human metrenome they will get annoyed by how {censored}ty their drums sound.

And about the drumset I think it is wort spending a few extra hundred bucks on a Tama swingstar.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Dash OH drummer

They are both absolute crap and my only suggestion is to stay far far away from them...the reasons being

1) The bearing edges on the drums are more than likely un-even, making the drum near-impossible to tune

2) the resale value on them is non-existant

3) the hardware rusts and falls apart

4) The snare drums you get with those sets are complete trash

5) Any cymbals that come with them are equally useless

This guy has definitely got the right idea. My first set was a Pulse one and it was a piece of {censored}. Sets like the one you (Hangwire) mentioned literally limit what you can do as a drummer. The hardware - bass pedal, tom arms, and hi-hat stand, especially - is TERRIBLE. Everything breaks. I don't just mean you might have to adjust it a lot and {censored} like that; I mean it BREAKS. My Pulse snare stand broke in half . I was jamming with a couple friends and the snare stand literally broke in two pieces. Do you want a drumset with hardware like that? I sure as hell hope you don't. Spend a couple extra bucks and get a decent entry-level set, like the ones mentioned by all the other that have responded.

The BEST thing about my {censored}ty Pulse drums were how they sounded, and they sounded really bad....which means that everything else was even worse. Don't spend $350 on a set now and then spend $800 on a set in 2 years...that's a waste of money. Get a decent set now so you won't waste that first $350.

• Members
Originally posted by Bigjohn

Get her a practice pad

Let her learn the rudiments

If she's still interested in drumming, then get her a set

;)

I disagree - drumming should be FUN not a chore - rudiments can be like golf at first - very very humbling - and NOT much fun.....sit her on a kit and let her bang her ass off for 6 months - get her some lessons on technigue right away so she doesn't follow bad habit and buy the book stick control. From there - she can work on the rudiments.

• Members

hey hangwire, looks like i found somebody from the same area!

you should go down to music-go-round (layton & 76th in the strip joint across from the mall) they have a mini-kit in there, but is a sonor kit and has the options of any other decent kit.

yes quality is a huge difference. i have the export, and i can barely stand it. (sure it sounds good with proper heads/tuning, but i want the BEST) if i had started out with even a forum or anything lower i would have had a hard time getting along. already (i've had it for about 1.6 years) i'm overworking myself to upgrade to BRX.

the blackhawk is a student level kit, which means that it'll be appealing for a while, but you can't do anything fantastic with it. (entry cheapy)

you are best off buying used. go down and check out MGR, they have used gear (and new) but more importantly is that they know what they're talking about there and can point you in the right direction.

• Members

Dont be turned away, especially if she doesnt know if she will stick with drumming, so if you pay the extra couple hundred, it could actually be a waste of money either way!

Cheap set = she likes playing and sticks with it = buy better set

buy expensive set = she doesnt like it = still looses out pretty much

I only started playing drums in January, and I bought a low end set. But with some new heads, new cymbals, it sounds really good actually. About the bearing edges, you can get them recut I heard at drum shops, I know my bearing edges are not even, but my toms still sound really good IMO. I use Smooth White emperor batters and ambassador resos, Superkick2 bass, and regulator reso.. People who hear my set are impressed how much I paid for it, so who knows.. I am now saving up for a Tama Rockstar, hopefully to get it before next year. But I bought the low end cause I didnt know if I would stick with the "hobby" but i cant get enough of it now. I think its easier to tell someone to get a more expensive set if you play one, then to be just starting out not knowing anything about drums. Oh well, my rant may not make sense, but thats what i think IMO. :rolleyes:

EDIT : but I did have the normal problems of what people are saying about cheap hardware and whatnot, that IS true.. I had to replace my snare stand with a Tama stand.. I had to vaseline my lugs so they would turn with ease, and my snare was SH*t.. So I bought a pearl snare for 130$ I believe, which is so much better.. Was it worth it? Yes overall.. The sound was greatly improved extremely with the new heads, new cymbals, new snare, and learning to tune them. Just know now, she will probley have to make many adjustments to get a good sound.

• Members

Originally posted by Invertalon

...I only started playing drums in January, and I bought a low end set. But with some new heads, new cymbals, it sounds really good actually. About the bearing edges, you can get them recut I heard at drum shops, . . . I use Smooth White emperor batters and ambassador resos, Superkick2 bass, and regulator reso... I am now saving up for a Tama Rockstar, . . . but I did have the normal problems of what people are saying about cheap hardware and whatnot, that IS true.. I had to replace my snare stand with a Tama stand.. I had to vaseline my lugs so they would turn with ease, and my snare was SH*t.. So I bought a pearl snare for 130$

Heads---$100

Snare--$130

Snare stand--$50

Next things will be

a new pedal--$90

and a new highhat--$75

Get the point? I hope that anyone who works on drums for a living would refuse to recut bearing edges on a student kit. Save the money for better drums. Look for a used entry level kit.

• Members

save longer get better

i've got an export, which is close to the rockstar, and i'm sick of it just cause i've had a chance to play a masters series.

you've got a set to play, so wait long and buy the best, that way you don't have to upgrade a third time down the road. not that there's anything wrong with rockstars or exports, but you get what you pay for.

Archived