Yum yum, my new Pacific FS kit...and to those green drum buyers

rumblebelly

• Members

Are the tom tuning heads dicast metal on the Pacific FS? They don't seem very sturdy like some Gretsch kits I've seen. After talking with a Jazz band drummer, he mentioned that perhaps Gretsch kits get their sound from the fact that they use dicast tuning hoops on the toms instead of the normal thin metal hoops. It also got me thinking about the the wood tuning hoop on the kick drum and the affect it had on resonance and overall sound?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, they aren't di cast. It hasn't been an issue for me because I'm pretty happy with the sound and ease of tuning these drums have.

I heard Gretch, at least the newer ones, have a unique sound because they cut their bearing edges at a different angle.

Actually, I think most drummers prefer wood hoops on their kick.

• Members

I just found this:

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/bass_spec.asp

Several people have mentioned the aqaurain resonator head as being one of the best out there, so I'm going to keep it. But, from this chart and the type of "more rich" sound I'm going for, which batter heads would you all recommend I try? And Darick, would a coated EQ4 or clear EQ4 suit my needs better? Also, which EQ4 did you use (clear, coated, powdered)? thanks, this thread is REALLY informative :D !

• Members

I'd say go with the clear EQ4 first as its the most versatile.

BTW, I have tried die cast off my starclassics and regular 2.3 hoops on the 12" FS tom. Didn't like the cold sound of the die cast but liked the focused yet open sound of the 2.3's. Then right before selling the kit I switched back to the thin regular hoops and found they fit the birch tone best IMO.

Its all about personal taste/experimentation till you find your sound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I made a mp3 recording my pacific FS (w/ aquarian I superkick batter+resonator on kick drum) and here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/cheslermusic.htm

^pls tell me what you think of the sound or what you'd recommend after hearing this :).

Recording Method:

NO FX or EQ added..this a dry recording from

Mics-->SMPro Audio PR8 Preamp-->RME Multiface-->DAW

2 overhead mics (Oktava MK012)

--> 2-stick length directly above snare, and the other at 45-degree angle slightly behind drummers right shoulder pointing at snare. Both overhead mics are same distance from center of kick drum

1 Kick Drum Mic (Audio Technica AT3035)

AT3035 2-inches away from resonant sound hole[bottom right side when facing front of kit] (directly in front), but pointing exactly towards center of resonante head.

• Members

it tends to sound VERY "boingy" and lacks that depth/punch when put inside the bass drum..Also it captures too much annoying "tap/attack" sound of the beater hitting the batter head. Putting the mic outside gives me fuller tone I think..

hmm, perhaps I should put it inside with the mic facing away from the batter then?

• Members

Originally posted by dejacky

hmm, perhaps I should put it inside with the mic facing away from the batter then?

Try aiming it partially towards the wood on the inside of the drum. Heard someone talking about that once and I managed to get a decent sound that way.

• Members

the sound of the kick from the set itself sounds kind of "hollow/scooped" in my opinion now. I talked with some guys at my local music store and they said they wouldn't put an Aquarian superkick I batter on there..instead they recommend the Evans EQ 2 or EQ 3...one commented that the EQ series will give it a "better" and more "natural" sounding "wet" tone...any1 familiar with this?

• Members

Hey, Rumblebelly...

My drummer is moving a Pacific LS (I'm pretty sure anyway...) kit to Ft. Collins in August when we move into our house. I'm pretty sure he has an Aquarian Super Kick II on there as well. So, I guess you won't be lonely anymore...

:)

Hey what are you favorite music stores there? I'm still trying to get a feeling for the town...

• Members

Originally posted by The*Ataris

Hey, Rumblebelly...

My drummer is moving a Pacific LS (I'm pretty sure anyway...) kit to Ft. Collins in August when we move into our house. I'm pretty sure he has an Aquarian Super Kick II on there as well. So, I guess you won't be lonely anymore...

:)

Hey what are you favorite music stores there? I'm still trying to get a feeling for the town...

So you are moving to Ft Collins? Hell, I didn't even realize you were in Monument. Where abouts in Fort Collins is this house? Will it be a band house?

Spotlight music on South College has a nice selection of guitar and bass equipment. It's very much lacking in the drum dept though and their sales staff tends to be a tad aggressive.

Colo Drum in old town is a great drum store. In fact, it's probably the nicest in Colo since Rupp's left town.

ABCDs is a nice little cd shop on North College. They have a great punk and alternative selection. Finest on West Elizabeth is a cool place as well.

• Members

the sound of the kick from the set itself sounds kind of "hollow/scooped" in my opinion now. I talked with some guys at my local music store and they said they wouldn't put an Aquarian superkick I batter on there..instead they recommend the Evans EQ 2 or EQ 3...one commented that the EQ series will give it a "better" and more "natural" sounding "wet" tone...any1 familiar with this?

Evans eh? They must be overstocked on Evans and trying to get rid of them;).

One thing I've noticed with drums is that their sound is so damn dependant on the room their in. I have my kit in the basement. It's probably a 12x12 room and I had the kick tuned a little high but damn, it just made the room resonate like crazy. It literally sounded like a subwoofer, I {censored} you not. It must be just at the right pitch for the room. However when I took it to our last show which was a party in a much larger L-shaped room the kick sounded kinda doinky. Instead of the BOOOOM BOOOM I was accustomed to is was doing DOINGGG, DOINGGG. Pretty frustrating if you ask me.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

So you are moving to Ft Collins? Hell, I didn't even realize you were in Monument. Where abouts in Fort Collins is this house? Will it be a band house?

Spotlight music on South College has a nice selection of guitar and bass equipment. It's very much lacking in the drum dept though and their sales staff tends to be a tad aggressive.

Colo Drum in old town is a great drum store. In fact, it's probably the nicest in Colo since Rupp's left town.

ABCDs is a nice little cd shop on North College. They have a great punk and alternative selection. Finest on West Elizabeth is a cool place as well.

Yep, Fort C, here I come. Finally got my transfer up there last spring. It will be a band house more or less. A singer, drummer, and me (a guitar player) will all be living there. We played in a band in high school but I haven't really been playing with them since. I can't imagine that I wouldn't in that living situation though.

The place is on the corner of Swallow and Remington, right off of College...god, I hope the neighbors are going to be condusive to this :)

Thank you for the store recommendations. I'm actually pretty familiar with Spotlight and ABCD's so that's good. I'll definitely tell the drummer about Colorado Drum.

Thanks, maybe I'll see you up there...

• Members

This is simply madness... Pacific FS kit w/ snare stand, hihat stand, AND cymbal stand for only $425 :eek: !

$425 Pacific FS kit!!!

I ended up paying $560 for the same setup, except I have better accessories :D . Pearl P-100 pedal, Pearl adj snare stand, and Gibraltar (EXTREMELY robust) Ride cymbal stand (holds tom :)). But still I didn't need these better stands and if this deal existed when I got my FS, coulda saved a few $ towards cymbals.

Rumblebelly,

could you record your kick drum with the Aquarian Superkick II? I'm just curious what it sounds like before I end up getting that hihgly recommended Evans EQ batter head...

• Members

just got the Evans EQ3 batter for kick drum and left the Aquarian Resonator head on...wow, while it's true the sound is a little more "wet" the tone still didn't help much...i'm still experimenting with tuning, but I just blew $25 on this and I'm poor.

So, my eyes are set on the Remo PowerStroke III (coated) and Aquarian Superkick II (coated).

I didn't really like the "wet" sound of Evans EQ3. it seems better suited for Funky type music, not some melodious punk rock type music where I need that dry fundamental tone, but w/ a nice rich "thump" sound.

• Members

This is simply madness... Pacific FS kit w/ snare stand, hihat stand, AND cymbal stand for only $425
:eek:
!
425 Pacific FS

I bought one of these from Steve Weiss and received it from UPS the next day! I love it. I didn't really need another kit, but for the money, I couldn't pass it up. I love the color, and they sound REALLY good for $425.

• Members

Rumblebelly,

could you record your kick drum with the Aquarian Superkick II? I'm just curious what it sounds like before I end up getting that hihgly recommended Evans EQ batter head...

We should have a couple of songs up on the net soon.

• Members

First of all,

nice recording quality! :cool: I'd really like to chat with your guitarist some time, he's getting some very cool mixes :). Also, liked the drumming. I listened closely and noticed your kick drum exhibited the similar sound issue as mine (you can feel the rumble and hear the high pitched attack...but lacks bass drum definition in the mids) --> which translates as a quiet kick drum as Darick mentioned...at least for my tastes.. Also, the snare drum exhibits kind of a wimpy feeling in my opinion. It has a nice crack, but the tone is just lacking some fullness...perhaps just a recording issue. The floor tom and cymbals are real nice though :).

What kind of room do you record in?

• Members

Well, through some speakers the kick comes out really well but yeah, I can see how it would get lost in the mix. I'll sometimes have a difficult time hearing the kick in certain live situations which will leave me feeling lost and that's very bad. However I've heard some live recordings we've done and it comes out really well. I guess if it's miced well it doesn't matter in the end.

Yeah, the toms are the true gems of these drums. It's hard to get a crappy sound out of them. The snare...I just slapped on an Evans Reverse Power Dot my pops bought me before we started recording. I had a tough time getting a crisp sound out of it. Just recently I went back to the old Remo Ambassador batter and it sounds mucho better. I also replaced the stock snare side head with a Remo snare side resonant head (I had the stock still on for the recording, bad mistake) The new snare side head made a world of difference. Now it's a wonderful sounding snare.

Our guitarist did all the mixing and we used his gear. He's really into that sort of thing. It was recorded at my place in a 12x12 room. It turned out okay but not as lively as I would have liked. He got a killer guitar sound though, he's got a good ear for tone so I should consider myself blessed.

• Members

Yea,

my remo emperor black dot top (i think it's called), really gives the snare a thick tone....just need to replace stock resonant head :D . Rumblebelly, this is my dilemma, I feel like if the toms can sound good, I/we just haven't found that optimum head combination/tuning ratio for the kick drum.. I think I really will take into guitar center and be like "here's my kick drum, with these heads...I bought it from you, now make it sound like one :D ." you think that'd work since I'm wasting way too much time on this...:eek:

• Members

I have an FS set too.:D

Originally posted by rumblebelly

Well, drums are loud. Period. Hearing protection is a must unless you wanna wear hearing aids in the future. And keep in mind, you'll never get an acoustic drumkit sound like what you hear in recordings. It's a totally different animal than guitar and piano.

why is that? cause of all the EQing?

• Members

It's 11:45pm... I've just finished another several hours of tuning and trying different head combinations (stock heads, Remo Powerstroke III, and Aquarian Superkick I) and it's seeming like the Aquarian Superkick I is the best head for creating a consistent (not overly harshly bright/attack) tone. I really liked the punch and almost-warm round tone of the Remo PowerStroke III, but it's plastic muffling wasn't enough to block those really annoying high-pitched "slap" overtones. The Aquarian Superkick I minimized it much better (thought slightly "choked sounding") and was more useable. I may end up sticking with the SKI... It's tuned much lower before right now actually sounds darn good...probably best I've ever heard it.. The batter is slightly lower than the resonant FWIW.

Darick,

if I still can't get the kick to satisfy my needs, I'll sell the kick only, and buy a Pacific LX kick...is there any adjustable bracket that would let me safely mount the pacific FS toms to the LX kick drum? I just can't sell the toms & snare because they sound freaking GREAT!:D My only concern w/ this is will the Pacific LX match sonically with my birch toms and snare? And also, will the Pacific LX kick drum record well?

Archived