adding reso side to the Rhythm Traveler

FearMeWithMyLP

• Members

Hey doods!

I was thinking of adding a reso side to the Rhythm Traveler drum set. The thing I wanted to know is everything I need to do the job. I've only been playing the drums for about 2 weeks now, but I wanted to be able to switch from the silent heads to the other side with the appropriate heads (think of it as being like the Chameleon, but only it is the RT), or I was just going to add a reso side, since many people on the Pearl Forum say that it would make the sound better.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

• Members

uhh, if you wanted drums with two sides (like most of us do) then you probably shouldn't have gone with the rhythm traveler. nonetheless, i don't think there is anyway to put a hoop on the bottom is there? there aren't lug castings on the bottom (i don't think).

jesse

• Members

First of all, if you've only been playing for 2 weeks, don't EVEN worry about messing with your kit like that. Worry about learning to play.

Adding resonant heads to your kit will

1.) be a ton of work, that if not done properly will ruin your kit

2.) might result in WORSE sound even if done properly

3.) distract you from what you need to be doing: learning to play!!!

There's nothing wrong with single-sided drums. They're just different from 2 headed drums. They were HUGE in the 70's, but now the shift is back to 2 heads. It doesn't make your kit "wrong" it just makes it different. The rhythm traveler kit is designed as a practice kit that can also do light gigging...no amout of work will ever turn it into a top-end pro kit...so don't try. It's like dropping a trubo V-8 engine with nitris into a honda civic...it won't work, it'll cause bigger problems, and will end up costing you MORE than if you just went out and bought a porsche in the first place.

As someone with 2 weeks of experience, you're probably still unsure about head selection and tuning, so the last thing you need to do is complicate your life with drum alteration. You've got to get the right lugs, align them properly, drill the holes accurately, and install the hardware. Then you have to make sure the bearing edge on the reso side is set up properly. You'll probably have to cut one or have one cut.....still sure this is a good idea? Do you know how to cut bearing edges, or even know what the specs would be for the sound you want?!? Remember, if you do it wrong, the drum is toast. Still wanna risk it?!?

Assuming you do the work right, you'll have some very shallow 2-headed drums. Are you sure this is what you want? Most 12" toms are anywhere from 8" to 12" in depth. A 16" floor tom can be as many as 16" deep. Your drums will be considerably shallower. Are you familiar with the differences between shallow toms, standard ones, and deep ones? The rhythm traveler toms are all 5" deep, AND they're all the same depth (regardless of the head size)...this will also have a (probably negative) effect on the sound.

Bottom line, you've got what you've got. An economical, workable kit that you can use to practice and do light gigging. Trying to turn it into something it's not isn't going to make it sound any better, and it certainly won't make you a better drummer.

Put a great drummer on ANY kit and he'll be great. Put a so-so drummer on a great kit, and he'll still be so-so. Strive to be the guy who amazes people with drumming, not gear.

Archived