New drummer here: need advice on throne and tuning...

hangwire

• Members

hey all, I just starting playing drums for this band and I had a few questions:

- what kind of throne/or anything to sit on, can I get cheap and be decent. I have had past drummers compalin of aches when using chairs with the backs sawed off ...etc. Give me somthing to look for used that is decent.

- tuning. I have heard that every drum set has it's own right pitch... bla bla... I just nee dto knw if there is a website with clips of what the drums "should" generally sound like... also any helpful tips woul dbe appreciated.

Thanks for any/all help... I usually post in the effcts forum, buT i wanted to see if the drum forum could help first...

• Members

Phew!! I thought I was doing something wrong! I've NEVER tuned my throne :o

As far as "how" a drum should sound, generally speaking, it should sound "open" (i.e. sustain/resonate), have a consistent pitch, and decay pleasantly. It shouldn't be a dead "thud" with little tonal characterics...unless you want to sound like this.

• Members

I will look at that tuning thing later tonight , thanks!~

about the throne, I passed a few shops today over lunch.

Music Go Round [ had a $15 throne, and others were more cushion-y at $25-29... about as much as I would consider spending ]

Uncle Bob's [ "cheapest would be that one (looked in between the $14 and $25 MRG ones as far as cushion width) for $40 ]

so... what do you say? folding a throne would be much easier than hauling a chair :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by hangwire

I will look at that tuning thing later tonight , thanks!~

about the throne, I passed a few shops today over lunch.

Music Go Round [ had a $15 throne, and others were more cushion-y at $25-29... about as much as I would consider spending ]

Uncle Bob's [ "cheapest would be that one (looked in between the $14 and $25 MRG ones as far as cushion width) for $40 ]

so... what do you say? folding a throne would be much easier than hauling a chair
:eek:

I say never underestimate the benefit of a good throne to make you comfortable and keep you in proper position for playing. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's really no different than a guitar player with a {censored}ty strap that doesn't keep the guitar in position or is hung too low.

• Members

I guess what I will ask you then is a $25 throne with about 4-6" of cushion something that won't be a waste of money? Am I buying a cheap plastic strap, or a decent one that works...

Hmm, maybe I can get one of those big "excersice ball" that hip and trendy office people use :D

• Members

I guess what I will ask you then is a $25 throne with about 4-6" of cushion something that won't be a waste of money? Am I buying a cheap plastic strap, or a decent one that works...

Hmm, maybe I can get one of those big "excersice ball" that hip and trendy office people use
:D

I can't tell you what feels right to you, but I would suggest looking for something that first and foremost is comfortable for you to sit on. Everybody's ass is different, find the one that molds to yours. Second, make sure it is sturdy and supports you. If it's brand new and already wobbles a bit or you can't keep your center of gravity on it, I'd stay away from it. Third, check out how durable it is. Do the legs appear heavy duty? How does the seat attach to the legs? Are there a lot of cheap lookin rivets, screws or bolts? Fourth, do you want a back or no back? Personally, I like to have it there. It doesn't get in the way of my playing and when it's a nice chillin groove, it's nice to sit back a bit and go with it. There's also the round vs. the saddle. Personally, I don't like round because, well, my ass ain't round. I see a saddle and think, "hey, that looks like an ass would fit right there." You don't have to get the most expensive throne, or even a drum throne at all. Just keep these characteristics in mind and use whatever delivers for you. Anyone else have any other ideas I might have missed in what to look for in a throne?

The exercise ball would be entertaining to see. :)

• Members
Originally posted by P.Sound

Might I suggest that a good throne is money better spent than having the post removed from your ass when a cheap one fails.
:D

how could the $25-29 throne break... please let me know so I know what to look for in poor thrones...

• Members

how could the $25-29 throne break... please let me know so I know what to look for in poor thrones...

well things do eventually break...remember this saying, especially when coming to music equipment "you get what you pay for". if you pay 25-30 bux for a throne, you won't be getting anything fancy. but then again i use one of those cheap fold up seats from bed bath and beyond which only cost like 15 and it seems to hold up nicely (although my ass does hurt more often :mad: )

• Members

"You get what you pay for" is one of the most inaccurate rules of thumb I've ever heard. It is very often wrong...especially when it comes to musical instruments. I see stuff (guitar stuff, drum stuff...any music stuff) selling for hundreds, thousands of dollars...and then I see other stuff that is better that sells for fraction of that, simply because it doesn't have a big name or powerful reputation.

Don't think about how much something costs, think about how good it is. That should be your primary concern. Then say "how much is that worth to me?" So take a look at the throne. Sit on it. Look at the legs, the brackets, all the little pieces. Use some common sense. Does anything appear to be broken or soon-to-be broken? If so, don't get it. If it looks OK, it's worth $20-$30.

• Members

uh...yea ernie explained it better. :o but that was the point i was trying to make, but obviously it didn't go through. i meant, if u look at a certain throne from any manufacturer in that price range, usually there is a higher chance of getting a lower quality product, hence the lower price. so of course, higher the price, it SHOULD be higher quality, but in some cases that is not so. but yea, just use common sense and inspect the equipment thoroughly.

Archived