Istanbul Alchemy???

Hanisch

• Members

Hey! thanks for opening

I've just got an Istanbul Alchemy, off e-bay. Just an experiement, actually.

WELL

What do you think of these cymbals? In particular the Alchemy 16" Rock Crash?

Are they comparable to Zildjians and Sabians (quality-wise)?

thanks for any info

bye

michael

• Members

Istanbul make awesome cymbals. I have a 16" agop which is pretty much identical in sound to my 16" K, only slightly different pitch. And their splashes and hihats are excellent too.

Alchemy is their budget range, see here:

http://www.456music.com/drums.cfm

so, they are only comparable to similarly priced zildjians, sabians, etc.

All you need to be concerned with is, does it sound good to you? If so, great! :)

• Members

There are actually three different series of Alchemy Cymbals; A.R.T. (entry level quality), A.R.T. Pro (semi-pro) and Alchemy Professional (professional quality). The cymbal Hanisch has bought must be an Alchemy Professional, since there is no Rock Crash available in A.R.T. or A.R.T. Pro lines.

I haven't heard the Rock Crash but I have a 20" Alchemy Professional Rock Ride and it sounds great. Very loud, but also musical. Before I bought it, I also tried some professional level Paistes, Sabians and Zildjians and qualitywise my Alchemy ride is definitely comparable to them. It was also considerably less expensive.

I have also tried a 17" Alchemy Professional Mellow Crash and while it was also a nice cymbal, it was not exactly as good as some professional level Zildjians and Sabians I have tried. But for the price, it was great.

• Members

Originally posted by Hanisch

but it's a fact that Alchemy is the budget brand of Istanbul, isn't it?

Well, you could call Alchemy A.R.T. and A.R.T. Pro budget cymbals, since quality- and pricewise they are comparable to e.g. Sabian B8 and B8 Pro. But Alchemy professionals are definitely professional cymbals.

• Members

Originally posted by seahawk

YEAH I AGREE..........Istanbul has great cymbals as well..............I use a sultan Agop. 10" splash its awesome. trashy and quick...............i don't think you can go wrong with an istanbul.....

I had a 10" istanbul agop splash and so did a friend. I absolutely loved it. Really trashy yes, but it got trashed in the end, it split :(

Now, I'm using sabian HHX evolution weckl cymbals, and I tell you, the 10" splash is as gorgeous and trashy as I can remember the agop was.

Archived