File sharing of your music.

dmguitar0

• Members

Originally posted by Staticnz

I'm not broke and I can get a job, just the ridiculous music prices + my extreme love of music (hence need to get a LOT of it) would render life unliveable. I buy music when I can, which isn't so often. What am I supposed to do, just go without music!? No way in hell.

Don't need music!? Some music fan!

I'm definitely a fan. Fan enough to PAY for music. You can't afford it...that's a personal problem. Don't make it the artist who creates the work. If everyone had that attitude there wouldn't be anymore new artist for you to steal from.

-J.P. LUX

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by dmguitar0

its thought lines like this one that make some of us hungry musicians. this is a bad way to state it, because if you dont have the money to buy it...then you shouldnt "steal"/download it! you are almost likening this to a beggar who needs a loaf of bread for his family! its not like you NEED the music..just sayin'....

Like I said, I buy music when I can. It's great that others have the inclination to spend their money on music when they don't really have a lot of it, but I'm not one of those people. Don't forget I'm a hungry musician too. Plus the price of music is ridiculous. The fact is also musicians don't see that much for what is bought either, it all goes into the hands of the companies and corporations. The industry would benefit from more money going into the hands of the musicians too.

With my music I would encourage and facilitate the selling of my music but I would tolerate people downloading it just fine. All I can do is make the selling route available, say 'it would be cool if you bought it', and then putting up with whatever happens.

• Members

Originally posted by jplux1

I'm definitely a fan. Fan enough to PAY for music. You can't afford it...that's a personal problem. Don't make it the artist who creates the work. If everyone had that attitude there wouldn't be anymore new artist for you to steal from.

-J.P. LUX

When did I say I don't pay for music? I download it, yes, but I buy it when I can too.

Downloading can only be negative when it stops people from buying it. I don't feel that is what has happened to me.

+ it's no justification but I've never bought it much before in the first place.

• Members

Yeah, but that's a moot point for reasons already defined.

I've had this argument before and I know that it's pretty much impossible to justify downloading music in these kinds of places. However I know when I'm doing something wrong and I don't think I am. My behaviour in a way reflects the times. I know that the industry is turning to financial crap and there has to be an alternative future for all this.

/ramble

• Members

When you make money with music, as I do...all of this becomes very personal. If you don't mind downloading music, that's up to you, but please do understand that you're part of the problem, and not a part of the solution in the misery of "this business we call show". If the music is important enough for you to own...save the money and buy it. I'm sure that person would really appreciate it.

-J.P. LUX

• Members

It may sound arrogant but to get my own music off the ground I need to spend money on my music. I'm kinda cheap with money and only spend it when absolutely necessary. I think that when I'm in a better position I would support artists and music as much as possible.

I don't think you can waste too much time decrying people who download music...this is the age we live in. It's deeply ingrained, you have to accept it, move on, and figure out how to make the best of the situation.

I know it's a negative situation, but that's how it is. It's not all MY fault just for doing it. People always act like one guy's attitude is the entire reason for everything...honestly the whole downloading world doesn't share MY attitude, because I do care about supporting artists in the long run.

• Members

It may sound arrogant but to get my own music off the ground I need to spend money on my music. I'm kinda cheap with money and only spend it when absolutely necessary. I think that when I'm in a better position I would support artists and music as much as possible.

I don't think you can waste too much time decrying people who download music...this is the age we live in. It's deeply ingrained, you have to accept it, move on, and figure out how to make the best of the situation.

I know it's a negative situation, but that's how it is. It's not all MY fault just for doing it. People always act like one guy's attitude is the entire reason for everything...honestly the whole downloading world doesn't share MY attitude, because I do care about supporting artists in the long run.

:eek:

• Members

I'm all for sharing my band's songs and my personal recordings with anyone who wants to hear them. I do this as a hobby and it's not a proffesion so piracy does not affect me. However, I still believe that most people who download full albums and don't buy the albums wouldn't have ever bought the album to begin with anyways. I download full albums all the time, but I buy the cd's I like. If the cd's suck then I don't buy it and that's fair right? Why should consumers be suckered into buying a cd that has a killer single but a bunch of filler. I think file sharing forces artists to continually bring their A game to the table because they can't hide a {censored}ty album as easily anymore.

• Members

Originally posted by edwards87

I'm all for sharing my band's songs and my personal recordings with anyone who wants to hear them. I do this as a hobby and it's not a proffesion so piracy does not affect me. However, I still believe that most people who download full albums and don't buy the albums wouldn't have ever bought the album to begin with anyways. I download full albums all the time, but I buy the cd's I like. If the cd's suck then I don't buy it and that's fair right? Why should consumers be suckered into buying a cd that has a killer single but a bunch of filler. I think file sharing forces artists to continually bring their A game to the table because they can't hide a {censored}ty album as easily anymore.

Ever hear of itunes? You can buy a song you like without buying the cd, and lots of sites like itunes are popping up all over. You don't have any excuse for ripping off music.

• Members

I'm not broke and I can get a job, just the ridiculous music prices + my extreme love of music (hence need to get a LOT of it) would render life unliveable. I buy music when I can, which isn't so often. What am I supposed to do, just go without music!? No way in hell.

Don't need music!? Some music fan!

I'm not broke and I do have a job, just the ridiculous prices of automobiles + my extreme love of driving (hence need to do a LOT of it) would render my life unliveable. I buy cars when I can, which isn't so often. So I just take one off the car sales lot at night - they have plenty to go around and won't miss it. What am I supposed to do, just go without driving!? No way in hell.

Don't need driving!? Some racing fan!

• Members

Haha last time I got into this conversation the people were basically baying for my blood.

I know I supposed to just say how sorry I am and how I'm personally destroying the entire music industry and I'm satan's child, but that won't happen.

No, you'd rather continue in ignorance, cutting the nose off the faces of the very musicians you pretend to support, and your own, all the while laboring under the delusion that you're somehow 'sticking it to the man.'

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Micky Z

I'm not broke and I do have a job, just the ridiculous prices of automobiles + my extreme love of driving (hence need to do a LOT of it) would render my life unliveable. I buy cars when I can, which isn't so often. So I just take one off the car sales lot at night - they have plenty to go around and won't miss it. What am I supposed to do, just go without driving!? No way in hell.

Don't need driving!? Some racing fan!

Makes alot of sense, huh? :rolleyes:

lol

-J.P. LUX

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

No, you'd rather continue in ignorance, cutting the nose off the faces of the very musicians you pretend to support, and your own, all the while laboring under the delusion that you're somehow 'sticking it to the man.'

:rolleyes:

I've never maintained any delusion of 'sticking it' to any man.

• Members

Too busy posting on the internet to judgemental random people that are absolutely unwilling on every single level to so much as try and even listen to a single thing you have to say.

You suck oh I hate you.
:love:

Let's fight.

Happy Christmas.

• Members

That's a crappy, irrelevant analogy.

Bull{censored}. It's exactly, directly relevant. It speaks directly to the aspect of stealing someone else's property, solely based on your desire for it. Self-control and fear of prosecution are the primary deterents to stealing cars, and should be the same deterents to stealing someone's livelihood in music, but you say you can't control yourself, and imply that enforcement of copyright law is not a consideration. Bull{censored}. Stealing music is stealing just as much as stealing cars or anything else. Can't live without stolen (something)? Learn to live with disapppointment, buddy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by dmguitar0

ok I am going to disregard the disagreement between Poker and myself over Finnkeeper's post.

On the topic: do you think there is hope of changing the consumer's mind about file-sharing? Is there a way to do so with the current system in place?

I've had a few thoughts on the subject:

1. Burned CDs- surely just making it less easy to burn the CDs is a start? Either making them more expensive, requiring some sort of licence to burn an audio CD using burning software?

2. Most of the file-sharing sites are able to keep going because of legal loopholes - hell, if they can shut down TAB sites, surely they can shut down the filesharer servers by removing the loopholes? (NB i know nothing about law...so this may be B-S)

3. a bit far-fetched, but i guess stating the facts (not in some terms and conditions thing but right there where everybody will read it) on the actual websites or something??

4. Some broadband packages have download limits, some are unlimited- surely unlimited broadband is a huge problem? Perhaps unlimited broadband should be made a lot more expensive or something?

there are more but i can't think right now..

anyway, please consider this!

Archived