Best wooden snares for up to 300 $

Hanisch

• Members

Originally posted by Hanisch

Hey!

and thanks for opening

What do you guys think is the best wooden snares you can get for not more than 300 dollars? I'd like a really phat and punchy sound, not that piccolo style clicks ... you know.

thanks!!!

michael

Brand new, it's about $350, but you should be able to find a Steve Jordan snare for under $300 used. Phat and punchy, with great definition IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Blastem

Ulank you beat me to it. I have the Yamaha Steve Jordan snare. This is the drum you are looking for. You have got to try this drum it is exactly what you described. Let us know what you think if you try one!!

:D

You just got one a few months ago, right? Or was that someone else?

I need a damn money tree! :mad:

• Members

i use a pacific SX maple snare, the 6x14 model... i think it sells for $150-$185 new. i LOVE this snare. i know exactly the fat tone you're talking about, and i think the 6 inch depth is probably contributing to that. that's probably a lot cheaper than you wanted though. :(

• Members

One Word...................

USED

Ayotte Custom 6.5x14........Ayotte Price 1100.00........in nearly new condition at the local Music Go Round, $300.00...........perfect drum, great response.

Rogers Dynasonic Big R Maple, 6.5x14 ..........170.00 Ebay. Enough said if you know Rogers.

• Members

try and find an 8x14. my pick was an ludwig classic maple, but it might be a little more than $300. pacific has an 8x14 below $300 and if tama still has artcores they are as well. yamaha has some decnt price snares, but don't know about an 8x14 though, yamahas 7x14 oak is priced pretty low.

• Members

Ulank - That was me. I bought the Jordan snare about 5-6 months ago. Its Sweet!!! Rhino mentioned another great snare. The Oak series by Yamaha. I played on a 13X7 and it sounded great as well. That is one of the reasons I went after the Steve Jordan model. 13X6.5 in maple just sounds great to me. There are so many ways to tune this drum too!! Overall though I really liked the warmth of the drum.

• Members

Originally posted by Blastem

Ulank - That was me. I bought the Jordan snare about 5-6 months ago. Its Sweet!!! Rhino mentioned another great snare. The Oak series by Yamaha. I played on a 13X7 and it sounded great as well. That is one of the reasons I went after the Steve Jordan model. 13X6.5 in maple just sounds great to me. There are so many ways to tune this drum too!! Overall though I really liked the warmth of the drum.

Outstanding. Glad you're still diggin it. Yamaha rules. :D:cool:

• Members

Hey,

You can find some nice GMS snares in the $300-350 price range on ebay. The GMS snare I own are awesome. I have all 14" head sizes in 5.5" 6.5" and a 6.5" 10 year ann. model-Birds eye 1 piece shell. My bud bought a 13x5 for $285.00 on Ebay. It screams!

• Members

You can usually get a good deal on Tama Artwood maple snare drums. They're solid and good quality.

I've always wanted to get a Pearl Free Floating drum and then get a bunch of shells to swap in/out of it....steel, maple, birch, brass, etc.

you're also right on the cusp of being able to build a custom one for $300, depending on what you want.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

You can usually get a good deal on Tama Artwood maple snare drums. They're solid and good quality.

I've always wanted to get a Pearl Free Floating drum and then get a bunch of shells to swap in/out of it....steel, maple, birch, brass, etc.

you're also right on the cusp of being able to build a custom one for $300, depending on what you want.

How do free floaters work. I've played them and they sound awesome. I just cant figure out how they work.

• Members

Originally posted by drmrdude

How do free floaters work. I've played them and they sound awesome. I just cant figure out how they work.

I'm not 100% sure on the specifics, but from what I can tell, all of the hardware (lugs, stainer, butt plate) are attached to a second hoop structure at the bottom of the drum. So all of the tension is applied to this extra hoop. Because it's a fairly beefy looking die cast (I think) piece, it doesn't deform with the tension on the lugs keeps everything even. The shell doesn't contact this thing..it sits inside it, so the only thing really keeping the shell in place is the tension on the heads. So when all is said and done, the only thing touching the shell is the heads.

While it's a cool design from the "free floating" standpoint, to me the really cool thing is that you could potentially buy one free floating snare, and then buy or build any number of shells to use with it...as long as they're the same size. So instead of buying a 6.5" x 14" maple, and then a 6.5" x 14" brass or whatever, you could just get shells. Want a thick maple shell? Put it in. Want a thinner one? Put that in there. Because you'd have to remove the heads to swap out the shells, it's not like you could swap them out in the middle of a gig, but if you were recording and wanted to switch from one shell to another for different songs and/or takes, it's a cool concept IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I recorded a demo a couple of years ago and the studio presented me with about 10 snare drums to choose from. After trying them all, including my own Pacific which I had tuned exactly how I though I liked it, I chose the free-floating snare drum. It was just exactly what I always imagine a snare drum should sound like. When the time comes for me to buy a new snare drum, it is definitely going to be this one and, the maples are all under $300 if you get the natural finish. I swear, my heart skips a beat when I think about how that thing sounded.

Archived