Tama Rockstar Custom or Tama Rockstar

SublimeOi

• Members

Doesn't matter much... they're both discontinued. :)

If you're looking for used ones, the big difference between the Custom is the fact that the bass drum has claws instead of whatever tuning system the Rockstar Std one uses. As well, the Customs are finished/stained, while the Rockstars have wraps. Not that it really ultimately makes much of a difference. Wraps, if damaged, could be re-done... but they could also bubble and peel down the line.

• Members

The hardware with the Rockstar kit would be fine but remember it's got a single kick pedal. If you're planning on playing double bass, it starts to become a waste of money at that point. Personally, I'd go with the shell kit (like the Custom) and just add on exactly what you want. I was going to get a full set but realized half the stands wouldn't be of any use for me so I decided against it.

The Superstar kits, which are the new ones, are only a little more expensive, and you're getting something that's going to have current hardware.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

The Superstar kits, which are the new ones, are only a little more expensive, and you're getting something that's going to have current hardware.

i agree with that reccomendation. many disagree with me, but i've always found the rockstars to be kind of a rip off new. i'm not saying they're not well made or good sounding, but for the price you can get the same worksmanship, better shell materials, nicer looking finishes... if you've decided on tama for good, i wouldn't want to steer you away. but i think unless you're getting a ridiculous deal on them (and judging by those links you posted Sublime, it doesn't look like you are) you might want to explore some other brands. and never forget to see what's available used- i got a mapex M series kit in perfect condition in a very similar setup to the one you posted, and a pacific 6x14 maple snare also in perfect condition, for only $475, because i bought it "lightly used." This included more than half the hardware i needed too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

check out Brook Mays Music. I work there and we put the rockstar series on clearance for 799. during january all clearance items are reduced 15 percent or more. i wound up buying a set of rockstar customs for $653. (799 with 25 percent off). this was 150 dollars under cost, what a deal! Surely there are more in other BMM stores around the country.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The big difference (as posted above) is wrapped vs. lacquered. The wrapped kits tend to hold up better in my experience if you're going to be playing a lot of gigs, whereas the lacquered kits are, well, lacquered. There's no difference sound wise, IMHO.

Other than that, the Custom gives you a "wood" snare drum vs. the stainless steel version on the non-Custom. The "wood" isn't maple, birch, oak, or any other high-end "wood"...it's the same basswood or whatever that they make the toms and kick out of. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but again it's kind of a toss up quality wise between the steel and the "wood".

Other than that, I don't think there's any other difference. Now that Tama is replacing that line with the Superstars, I imagine you'll continue to see stores blowing out their stock of Rockstars to make room for the new drums.

Archived