Type Of Stick

EdDrums

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My main concert stick I use is the Vater Los Angeles 5A wood-tip...I wrap the butt end with "stick handler" grip tape and away I go.... feels good in the hand.... has the bite i need and the stick lasts a long time for me.with little or no breakage.

• Members

Originally posted by HuskerDude

Cheap little "sound Percussion" 7a's, wood tip. A few cents a stick, and I haven't broken one yet.

aah! those sound percussion sticks are lamentable, i haven't found two yet that both have even remotely similar weight or feel.

Originally posted by ArtVandelay

I think you'd be surprised how fast you can play with a bigger stick if you play with proper technique, a relaxed grip, and let the stick do the work for you.

very true... about 4 months ago my Promark Japanese Oak 5B's never got used since they were so ridiculously heavy to me back then. Then for christmas i got a pair of zildjian rock dips, which are practically big enough to be marching sticks. i started warming up with those, and although i still can't play my fastest with the zildjians, those promarks feel PERFECT to me now. I'm a much stronger player because i built my chops on heavy sticks.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by locust tree

aah! those sound percussion sticks are lamentable, i haven't found two yet that both have even remotely similar weight or feel.

very true... about 4 months ago my Promark Japanese Oak 5B's never got used since they were so ridiculously heavy to me back then. Then for christmas i got a pair of zildjian rock dips, which are practically big enough to be marching sticks. i started warming up with those, and although i still can't play my fastest with the zildjians, those promarks feel PERFECT to me now. I'm a much stronger player because i built my chops on heavy sticks.

Yeah, proper technique is everything. I use 2b and I can keep up eighth notes on the ride/hat faster than a lot of guys I know who use lighter sticks. The 2bs bounce more.

• Members

I strted using some Pro Marks recently (just normal american hickory 5a's) and they lasted 6 weeks still going strong, I leant them toa friend and he snapped both 10 minutes later :mad: . Either way ive never had wooden sticks last so long I used to use jojo sticks which are regal tips b line but I snapped stupid amounts. My technique has definitley improved since tohugh.

• Members

I never thought I would say this, but I am now using 5A's. In just over two years, I've gone from using Vic Firth Rock sticks, to 5B's, to 3A's, and now finally to a 5A. I used to love using heavy sticks because it felt like I was swinging hammers. This was before I knew anything about technique, feel, and the subtleties of drumming. I also used to think it made me look cool to break a Z Custom cymbal 2 weeks after buying it :rolleyes:

I realize now that I should have been using 5A's all along. They fit my hand perfectly and I can play faster with them than any other stick I've used.

• Members
Originally posted by Ignited

I never thought I would say this, but I am now using 5A's. In just over two years, I've gone from using Vic Firth Rock sticks, to 5B's, to 3A's, and now finally to a 5A. I used to love using heavy sticks because it felt like I was swinging hammers. This was before I knew anything about technique, feel, and the subtleties of drumming. I also used to think it made me look cool to break a Z Custom cymbal 2 weeks after buying it
:rolleyes:

I realize now that I should have been using 5A's all along. They fit my hand perfectly and I can play faster with them than any other stick I've used.

Agreed. That's why I played with 7A's for a while, but then I tried some 5B's once and while they were uncomfortable, they freakin ROCKED soundwise. No matter how hard I hit, the 7A's just couldn't deliver that rock punch. So I ended up settling on the 727's - a little more stick than the 7A's, but still small enough to control and feel. If I play with anything heavier I'll be fatigued in a jiffy.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Vic Firth

SIGNATURE MODELS
Peter Erskine and Peter Erskine Ride Stick
Dave Weckl and Dave Weckl N

5A

Jazz Heritage Brush

Rute 202

I love the Vic Firth line they have so many different sticks to use. Even though I primarily use the Erskine and Weckl Sticks sometimes its fun to try other sticks from VF like the jam masters and harvey mason sticks

Archived