Mapex Mars Pro = Mapex M-Pro? Differences?

Private Viper

• Members

Hey!

Just a quick question, really. Making the leap from electronic to acoustic (at least, I haven't played acoustic for about 10 years), and I am looking at this kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=622&item=7308720956&rd=1

...and I was wondering if the Mapex Mars series is what's now called Mapex M, and what are the differences between them if that's the case. I know the M series is maple, and from what I've seen and heard, they sound really good. I can't seem to find a single comment about Mars online though (I must be doing something wrong), so if anyone could give me a really quick rundown, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

• Members

Well, I believe the old mapex Venus and Mars have magically metamorphosed into the V and M series, respectively. They have not gone by the former titles for quite some time, and the switch from multiple-wood shells to strictly maple on the M series has been a very recent one. Those mars look like fantastic drums, the one-piece lugs are a bit of a tipoff as to their age, but they look almost like tube lugs. way cool. I would want to advise you, the mars series was maple/mahogany shells, and when they switched it to M series it became maple/basswood. Most would agree that basswood is slightly more preferable, although they're both cheap woods and it won't make a big difference in the sound anyway.

i still really don't think you can go wrong with this brand, i own an m series kit and it's been a fantastic experience... gigged with 'em, recorded with 'em. Slap some evans g2 clears on those toms and heads will turn.

• Members

Well, I went for a Mapex M-series 5-piece, fusion sizes in a beautiful red woodgrain finish. With it, I'm going with a Zildjian ZXT pro cymbal pack (hi-hat, crash and ride), and I'll buy an extra ZXT 16-inch titanium crash to go with it. I'm selling my Roland electronic kit to pay for this one, so I'll probably get a set of rubber dampeners for home practice (I don't think I can live with only one night per week, at band practice ;) ).

Thanks for all your comments. I'll post pictures when I get the kit, hopefully by wednesday.

Archived