How about ditching your damn turntables...

brikus

• Members

It's really ironic that the people who dismiss new styles and genre's of music are generally left behind. Remember when the electric guitars first came out? Many traditional musicians called it nothing but "noise". And how about when jazz first emerged? It was dismissed as being "unfocused trash". When will musicians stop bashing new and unfamiliar artist. I would like to think that the most open minded musicians are the one's that are most likely to push musical boundaries and leave a mark. Go ahead and put on a DJ Shadow or a Portishead record and try to convince yourself you can't feel emotion in their music. It's impossible. Ignorance has no place in music. Think about music as an art form. Are only the most technical painters the one's that are the most celebrated? Hell no. It's innovation that brings about true artist. If a musician is conveying emotion through sound, why would you care what they are playing?

• Members

Originally posted by phatboy444

It's really ironic that the people who dismiss new styles and genre's of music are generally left behind. Remember when the electric guitars first came out? Many traditional musicians called it nothing but "noise". And how about when jazz first emerged? It was dismissed as being "unfocused trash". When will musicians stop bashing new and unfamiliar artist. I would like to think that the most open minded musicians are the one's that are most likely to push musical boundaries and leave a mark. Go ahead and put on a DJ Shadow or a Portishead record and try to convince yourself you can't feel emotion in their music. It's impossible. Ignorance has no place in music. Think about music as an art form. Are only the most technical painters the one's that are the most celebrated? Hell no. It's innovation that brings about true artist. If a musician is conveying emotion through sound, why would you care what they are playing?

ok, but still....those turds ain't music instruments....

• Members

I, like many other people here, have played many "musical instruments" and I didn't like any of them as much as I like my turntables. Not everybody wants to do the same thing you do, and thank god for that. Our musical world would be pretty boring if everybody thought their only option was to learn stairway to heaven and collect distortion pedals.

I don't care if you or anybody else thinks my turntables are musical instruments, or if you think I'm wasting my time doing what I do with them. They make me happy whether or not you approve of/understand them, and that's all that matters. In no way do I feel the same way about my old bass guitar as I do about all my dj gear and my record collection, and you just can't argue with that.

Phatboy is right, ignorance has no place in music...:o

• Members

Originally posted by wysiwyg

That topic (djs as musicians) has been beat to death.

Word.

Anyone who thinks we aren't musicians has never tried to mix. I'm sick of trying to convince people who have no idea what it is that we actually do.

• Members

Originally posted by ghowell

Word.

Anyone who thinks we aren't musicians has never tried to mix. I'm sick of trying to convince people who have no idea what it is that we actually do.

sick of trying ? How about starting to play a real instrument ?

• Members

Originally posted by wysiwyg

That topic (djs as musicians) has been beat to death.

It has absolutely been beaten to death, but at least it makes for something to discuss. I don't really think of dj's as musicians, but many of the same skills and knowledge, and every bit of the devotion to practice and improvement are required for both. I don't really mind that argument, just as long it stays relevant and respectful. The answer is probably different for everyone, and that's okay.

But what I do mind is when people persist in trying to change what we do because they don't like our hobby. Sitting around plucking strings bores me to death, but you don't see me going around telling guitar players to stop everything they're doing and pick up some wax. That would be disrespectful and stupid. I don't let the Jehovah's Witnesses that knock on my door change my faith, and nobody here is going to change what they do because a "real musician" is preaching on their doorstep. Especially if he doesn't start paying a little bit more attention and make better arguments than the above post.

I don't mind discussing things that have already been discussed if somebody still has a point to make, but there was no point to this thread since it's very beginning.

• Members

Originally posted by Steverino

Hey, I can do that!

*wacka wacka wacka*

Now what?

It's learning to make that "wacka wacka wacka" sound good that is the difficult part. And if you get into turntablism, you realize that the "wacka wacka wacka" is the simplest of many sounds you can get out of a record.

And then there is always the art of mixing, which sounds theoretically easy, but actually takes practice and dedication.

Mixing (and scratching) both involve a good understanding of music theory. After all, any musician knows that sometimes it sounds really bad if you play certain sounds together. There is the drumming side of it (avoiding double hits and maintaining a sense of funk throughout) as well.

I assume that you play an instrument.

You know how you get into a zone where you can feel what your audience is feeling? Their energy propels you forward and you find yourself floating on this massive rush?? I experience the same feeling whether I'm playing on a piano, a trumpet, or on turntables. Each instrument is a totally different experience, but they are each instruments. Each has it's drawbacks, as well as it's strengths.

The strength with playing records is that you are able to really adapt to your crowd. Face it, if you are in a band, you can't always completely switch styles. I have never seen a jazz band start playing heavy metal :-)

When I am playing a more traditional instrument out, sometimes most of the crowd just isn't really into what my band and I are doing?? I have the ability to totally switch styles, try different things and bring the audience into my set.

Isn't that what music is all about?? Entertaining people??

• Members

Originally posted by brikus

sick of trying ? How about starting to play a real instrument ?

I almost play three - the piano, trumpet, and a bit of violin. I started playing the violin when I was 4 and played for 4 years, then got back into it about a year ago - hence the 'almost'.

They are each a different manifestation of the same principles and skills.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

most of the people who bash you guys are the same people who spend thousands of dollars attempting to replicate another famous player's tone and/or play their songs. these people aren't exactly interested in creative development so much as they are capturing a few intoxicated teenage years because it represented a freedom they no longer have working their cubicle jobs and buying {censored} they don't need...

• Members

Man, I play guitar, a bit of bass & drums. I'm into heavy metal.

BUT I can appreciate the skills that go into genuine DJ artists (or whatever you call them :p). I've tried all this {censored}ing mixing & scratching & I can assure you it's a hard process!

I'm all for it, keep up the good work. If you enjoy it, i'm all for it.

I can get into stuff like Portishead, it's just stupid {censored}ing repetitive {censored} that gives me a headache :mad:

• Members

as with rock and all other forms of music

a lot of the mainstream is really bad crap

ddr does no justice to the djs music nor does the mtv

its creative to me at least and it can be really fun

and despite what people say it took me a damn year to be able to mix and its hell due to the lack of teachers in the industry

• Members

Originally posted by kevins

its creative to me at least and it can be really fun

But the creativity has to come from the person behind the decks, not just from the music they play.

I think we've all heard dj's that will mix tracks just by cueing up the bare intro beats of a song and just fade it into the equally simple outro of the other track. These guys are just kind of sliding between tracks, hopefully without anybody really noticing the transition between songs until the new song identifies itself on its own. I don't really see the creativity in that, and think it's pretty boring to boot.

The creativity comes in finding pieces of music that compliment each other and finding ways to balance them together for long enough to keep your mix from being more than 10 seconds of slowly changing kicks & snares. I'm happy with a mix when the overlap is is long enough and the sounds jive enough together to let the feeling and momentum of one song translate cleanly over into the next. But I like it best when the mix takes on a sound and feel all its own, like the sum of the parts of the two tracks adds up to something completely different and greater than what you'd imagine it might sound like just from listening to the individual songs on their own. Almost to the point where it's a bit of a letdown when the mix is over and I have to listen to just that new track until it's possible to bring the next one in.

Originally posted by kevins

and despite what people say it took me a damn year to be able to mix and its hell due to the lack of teachers in the industry

I've been spinning for 5 years and I'm still convinced I suck most of the time. I think it's probably much the same as anything else, as you get better you have higher expectations and your tolerance for your own mistakes gets smaller. Probably comes from listening to so many pro tools mastered, technically perfect dj mix cd's and constantly comparing my sound to those.

What little technical and musical aptitude I have concerning this stuff has been all but completely self taught, and it sounds like that's a pretty common thing. It might be harder to learn like that, but I think it might be better that way. I think learning things on your own is the best way to create your own sound and style. After all, there really is no "right" way to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived