Getting started...electronic kit?

Dark Ice

• Members

Hi. I'm new to this forum, although I do lurk from time to time. Right now I'm a guitarist but I've always wanted to get into drums, and this year I've been giving it a lot more thought, although my finances right now aren't too great (student).

Given that I cant see myself investing in anything better than a Pearl Export or a Premier Artist for example in the next few years, and given that I'd probably have to dampen them for practice anyway, I was considering electronic drums. They'd also work out a lot better considering the space I have available.

I am concerned though that learning solely on an electronic kit might get me into bad habits, or screw up my coordination, or give me a misleading sense of feel for dynamics or...something along those lines.

So I'd be most obliged if you offered your thoughts on learning drums on an electronic kit. Are there any potential pitfalls that you can forsee doing this? Is it just a bad idea? Am I worrying about nothing? All advice is welcome.

Steve.

• Members

An electronic kit, especially low level electronic kits, certainly don't match an acoustic kit in terms of feel and dynamics. However, an electronic kit is definitely better than no kit at all, so if its electronic or nothing, go electronic. Dampening an acoustic kit will also change the feel and limit the dynamic range of the kit, however there is the advantage of being able to remove the dampening. I'm stuck in the situation at the moment of not being able to practice any where near as much as i would like as i live with a cranky female who is home alot...... hence no smashy smashy on the drums. I'm going to get an electronic kit once i've saved up the $$$ for unlimited practice any time i want, and will still have the acoustic kit to bash on when no one is home. So... ideal solution, get both (for me anyway), but bottom line..... i would prefer to have an electronic kit with the possibility of endless hours of practice than an acoustic kit that gets little use because of the noise.

• Members

I'm new to drumming as well, and picked up an e-kit just recently, since an acoustic kit would be impossible as I live in an apartment. I'm having lots of fun - while the electric pads don't have the intricadies of an acoustic one, at least I'm improving on rhythm and coordination. To my surprise, though, turns out that the stomping can still be transmitted through the floor, and some neighbors have complained during late hours. I'm currently looking to build a platform to elevate and dampen the vibrations through the floor...

-Mike

Archived