Upgrade heads or upgrade drum kit?

Grayson73

• Members

Originally posted by ulank

HEADS!

From there, it's just about practicing tuning your drums. Unless your drums are oval, or the bearing edges are like James Hetfield's face, you should be able to get a solid sound out of that kit.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with the kit if it's in good shape. Unless you KNOW exactly what you want in a kit if/when you upgrade, get some new heads, and learn to tune.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

Exactly. Nothing wrong with the kit if it's in good shape. Unless you KNOW exactly what you want in a kit if/when you upgrade, get some new heads, and learn to tune.

And to add to this I've been in a similar quandry with my Stage Custom.. but at the end of the day, the places I gig don't justify splashing out on a "better" kit.

Mine sounds plenty decent enough for the types of venue I play. Some decent compression and EQing combined with good skins can do wonders.

Besides, I'd rather spend my money on new toys such as Paiste Signature cymbals... Yummy - great cymbals can make even the worst kits sound passable IMO.

- DM

• Members

Here is my setup:

Pearl Export:

22" Bass drum, Remo Weatherking Powerstroke 3 Bass

12" tom, 13" tom, 16" floor tom, Remo Weatherking Pinstripe

14" Yamaha SD5565MA Snare, Remo Weatherking Coated Ambassador

Cymbals:

16" Paiste 802 Crash

20" Paiste 802 Ride

13" Paiste 802 Hi-Hat

10" Paiste 802 Splash

18" Paiste 802 Crash/Ride

18" Zildjian K Dark Crash Thin

8" Zildjian Custom A Splash

For my first upgrade, I was thinking about upgrading the bass heads with the Super Kick II and Regulator.

What's the next upgrade? A better Hi-Hat?

• Members

Originally posted by Grayson73

Here is my setup:

Pearl Export:

Cymbals:

16" Paiste 802 Crash

20" Paiste 802 Ride

13" Paiste 802 Hi-Hat

10" Paiste 802 Splash

For my first upgrade, I was thinking about upgrading the bass heads with the Super Kick II and Regulator.

Personally, I'd go for a better Crash.

Whilst you will use the hats more, crash will be used for accenting parts of the song, can be used to wash for a chorus (instead of ride or hats) and of course the big endings with lots of crash hitting...

IMO its hard to find really REALLY nice hats, but decent crashes are ten a penny. For me, there's nothing that jolts more than a horrible clangy crash.

- DM

• Members

Here is my setup:

Pearl Export:

Cymbals:

16" Paiste 802 Crash

20" Paiste 802 Ride

13" Paiste 802 Hi-Hat

10" Paiste 802 Splash

Dude, it really seems like you want to spend some money....what's up? You win the lottery or something. Right now, you don't NEED anything, IMHO (and by the other thread) other than some help tuning your kit.

If you're going to upgrade something, it reallly doesn't matter what WE think anyway. What DON'T you like about your kit? If it's the sound of the drums themselves, do some research, read the Drum Tuning Bible (posted the link on the other thread) and see if you can get your drums sounding the way you want them to (takes work, not cash). If you don't like one or any of your cymbals, then decide which one you like the least and go out and look for a replacement. Sure, the 802's aren't Paiste's "top-of-the-line", but if you like the sound of them keep playing them. If not, YOU decide what YOU don't like...not us...we don't have to play YOUR kit.

You've got a bad case of G.A.S. right now (gear aquisition syndrome). Asking US what you should replace is like me asking the board what I should order for lunch today (I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows what I'm hungry for).

• Members

The only thing I don't like about your kit is that damn 13" tom...or maybe the 12". Silly standard sizes never made sense to me.

If you really think you need heads, coated Evans G2s will sound great on kit. Normally I wouldn't recommend a coating along with a 2 ply head but I heard it on a friend's Tama Rockstar and it blew me away. Of course, rumor has it a famous drumtech tuned it which probably made the biggest difference.

Right now I'm not in a band and I've had the same heads (clear G2s) on my kit for well over a year. They don't look quite like James Hetfield's acne scars but with a little tweaking and I can them to sound pretty good within a couple of minutes. Learning how to tune is the best thing you can do for your sound. Beware though, it might take a couple of years before you get the hang of it.

• Members

I have the Pearl Export drum kit. Would you recommend upgrading to a better drum kit or upgrading the heads (i.e. to Evans G2s)?

Since you're debating whether to get new heads or a new kit, get both.

Merry Christmas (oops!) I mean Happy Holidays.

• Members

For the record, I made a "break for the border" and had some Taco Bell. Sure, it's hazardous waste wrapped in a corn-chip shell, but sure does get through your system in a hurry!
:thu:

For me, Taco Bell is like Russian Roulette. I once got sick as a dog a couple hours after eating there. Puked for 12 hours, it was terrible. I begged my wife for mercy. Told her where the baseball bat was and where to hit me, just behind the ear. Fortunately she didn't listen because we had to fly to NY for vacation the next morning. Worst flight of my life but I lived.

Just last weekend my wife ate a TB bean burrito and had awful abdominal pains for a couple of days. This too was just a couple of hours after eating there. She said she's gotten sick before from eating TB a few years back, the puking kind of sick where she thought she was going to die.

I always thought that "pooping in the beans" story was an old wives tale. I'm writing Myth Busters right now and asking them to investigate it. After my wife got sick the last time, I'm convinced. I'll never eat TB again.

No big loss since TB's food kinda sucks anyway. I've always been a Taco Johns man. Better burritos and tacos.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

For me, Taco Bell is like Russian Roulette. I once got sick as a dog a couple hours after eating there. Puked for 12 hours, it was terrible. I begged my wife for mercy. Told her where the baseball bat was and where to hit me, just behind the ear. Fortunately she didn't listen because we had to fly to NY for vacation the next morning. Worst flight of my life but I lived.

Just last weekend my wife ate a TB bean burrito and had awful abdominal pains for a couple of days. This too was just a couple of hours after eating there. She said she's gotten sick before from eating TB a few years back, the puking kind of sick where she thought she was going to die.

I always thought that "pooping in the beans" story was an old wives tale. I'm writing Myth Busters right now and asking them to investigate it. After my wife got sick the last time, I'm convinced. I'll never eat TB again.

No big loss since TB's food kinda sucks anyway. I've always been a Taco Johns man. Better burritos and tacos.

My God, you're a wuss! :cry:

Whaaaaa....my tummy hurts.....suck it up, man! Have another Chalupa! If you can't take the heat (or staphylococcus mixed with microbes and fecal matter and a hint of squirrel meat), get out of the drive thru! All your little pity-party tells me is that you can't handle the truth....aka, a realistic Tijuana street vendor mean experience!

Be a man, for chrissakes! Get back in the game! Drag your pimply ass back to the Bell and get neck deep in some Gorditas, and don't stop until you feel the afterburners kicking in on your backside.

I'm so disappointed right now.

• Members

Cymbols after heads. The 802 ride and splash are ok, the hats aren't even realy that bad but the crash (yuck). I would go with Aquarian performance II's on the batters and a Super Kick II on the kick. That is what I have on my Export that I use for gigging and they tune up nicely.

• Members

My God, you're a wuss!
:cry:

Whaaaaa....my tummy hurts.....suck it up, man! Have another Chalupa! If you can't take the heat (or staphylococcus mixed with microbes and fecal matter and a hint of squirrel meat), get out of the drive thru! All your little pity-party tells me is that you can't handle the truth....aka, a realistic Tijuana street vendor mean experience!

Be a man, for chrissakes! Get back in the game! Drag your pimply ass back to the Bell and get neck deep in some Gorditas, and don't stop until you feel the afterburners kicking in on your backside.

I'm so disappointed right now.

Seriously, I rarely get food poisoning. It aint funny, my wife could have put me out of my misery.

On the other hand, my wife gets sick easy. We went to my dad's last year for Thanksgiving and he was experimenting with the dressing. He thought it would be a great idea to put raw eggs in fully cooked dressing, then heat it up a bit to get it warm. My wife was puking for two days, I thought I was going to have to take her to the hospital. I started digging around in my old man's fridge and noticed those eggs he threw in expired over a month ago. Nobody else in my family got sick, just her. And how dare you call me a {censored}!

• Members

... and he was experimenting with the dressing....

Now there's some fodder for some seriously distrubing mental images. :D

And how dare you call me a {censored}!

Sorry. Actually it was "wuss", but that's a technicality, and I admit it was probaby out of line. I just don't like people dissing the Bell. Actually, Taco Bell is one of those "sausage factory" kind of deals....you really don't want to know what's involved in the process, IMHO.

Anyway, I've never gotten REALLY sick from Taco Bell, but I've had my fair share of other bad food experiences to know where you're coming from. To me, food poisoning and sinus headaches are the only two things I've ever suffered where I've longed for the sweet embrace of death.

Greyson: good call on the superkicks. While you wait for them to arrive, read the drum tuing bible so you're ready to go when they get there. Try 'em without the patch first and see if you like how they sound. If you feel like you're wearing them out after an hour or so, then put a patch on. Depending on your playing style, you might not need one at all.

Archived