My brother is insane

Moltar

• Members

My brother is the drummer of our band. Anyway, yesterday he tells me he bought a 12 peice Tama recording kit from the 80s! Yes, TWELVE peices. Thats two bass drums, and TEN toms.... hes nuts... hes a good drummer but hes never going to be able to bring the whole kit to shows... should be great for recording though. I'll post pics once he gets it.

• Members

Insane??? INSANE?!?!

Man, a 12-piece kit is my dream. Just because he has the whole thing doesn't mean he has to bring every drum with him for live shows. He could leave a drum or two behind.

Better yet....give it to me! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Rumor

Have fun micing up 10 toms
:p

Changing heads and tuning would be hell.

I want one.
:o

Dustin

Good point, micing and tuning would be a bitch, wouldn't it?

Oh well, I still want one.....really, really badly.......

• Members

I'm sorry but I can not find a reason to justify having ten REAL toms in one particular set-up; That is plain ridiculous and stupid.:o

Give me a list of industry respected, talented drummers that have that many, and I might change my mind.;)

I think it is barely even justifiable to have even eight in one setup.

Eight toms, in even intervals, results in having a range in sizes from six inches in diameter to twenty inches.:eek:

Obviously, that's already pushing the limits of functionality.:o

Keep on dreaming though, if you wish.:thu::p

• Members

Originally posted by analog daniel

I'm sorry but I can not find a reason to justify having ten REAL toms in one particular set-up; That is plain ridiculous and stupid.

Give me a list of industry respected, talented drummers that have that many, and I might change my mind.
;)

I think it is barely even justifiable to have even eight in one setup.

Eight toms, in even intervals, results in having a range in sizes from six inches in diameter to twenty inches.
:eek:

Obviously, that's already pushing the limits of functionality.

Keep on dreaming though, if you wish.
:thu::p

Mike Portnoy's Siamese Monster is pretty big. It has 2 kicks, 2 snares, 6 octobans, 8 toms (Including the gong bass), 1 timbalito, 6 crash cymbals, 3 china cymbals, 3 hi-hats, 3 splashes, 4 max staxes, a ride, an ice bell, and a radia bell. That's big! (and he uses every piece, too).

• Members

Originally posted by Moltar

My brother is the drummer of our band. Anyway, yesterday he tells me he bought a 12 peice Tama recording kit from the 80s! Yes, TWELVE peices. Thats two bass drums, and TEN toms.... hes nuts... hes a good drummer but hes never going to be able to bring the whole kit to shows... should be great for recording though. I'll post pics once he gets it.

Hi, your brother is SMART! There`s no need to add-on to

his set, because he already has what he needs/wants.

Therefore, he has ALREADY WON THE GAME,

because

1. He doesn`t have to worry about trying to find extra

pieces on ebay later on, like I had to.

2. He doesn`t have to get into a bidding war on ebay

to get what he needs/wants.

3. He doesn`t have to worry about paying for shipping,

handling only to get ripped-off.

4. He doesn`t have to worry about calling lots of stores

to get want he wants/needs, like I had to.

5. And MOST IMPORTANT, JUST because he has ALL of those

drums, does NOT mean that he`s going to USE them on

stage OR at practice ALL the time.

My kit is ALOT bigger than that! And when I play out, I either

use a friends kit or a rental kit. It`s alot easier that way.

Even though the picture that i`m showing is a STOCK picture

from a catalog, my kit is ALOT bigger and has ALOT more drums.

The reason why I DON`T show an actual picture is because

of all the internet fraud going on these days.

And just recently, someone used a picture of my friends set

and posted it on ebay saying that it was theirs!

So for now, a stock picture is all i`ll show. :):D:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by DTportnoyDT

Mike Portnoy's Siamese Monster is pretty big. It has 2 kicks, 2 snares, 6 octobans, 8 toms (Including the gong bass), 1 timbalito, 6 crash cymbals, 3 china cymbals, 3 hi-hats, 3 splashes, 4 max staxes, a ride, an ice bell, and a radia bell. That's big! (and he uses every piece, too).

I know. It's still not ten toms though. Not to mention, that's it's really two sets in one convienant location.:o

So that doesn't help to convince me otherwise that anyone would need ten toms.

• Members

I know. It's still not ten toms though. Not to mention, that's it's really two sets in one convienant location.

So that doesn't help to convince me otherwise that anyone would need ten toms.

It may not be 10, but it is eight, and you yourself said that eight might not even be justifiable. However, it is two kits in one, so I guess the Siamese Monster is an exception.

However, the Purple Monster, which IS only one kit, still has 6 octobans, 6 toms, and 3 timbalitos, among other various things (all of which I want). But I suppose this one isn't 10 either, is it?

The point is, even if I don't know anyone right now who plays with 10+ toms, I would still like to have that big of a kit.

• Members

Originally posted by DTportnoyDT

Hey! I found someone who uses a huge kit. Take a look at Terri Bozzio!

I already know about Terrry Bozzio.

I wouldn't consider those "real" toms, Their all about the same size, with a slight difference in like sets of five with diameters. His biggest tom is a 14 inch.

This is because he tunes to actual notes, and plays melodies with them.

If you're actually doing such a thing, GREAT! Have 10579105876158906135806 TOMS!

However, if you do not, having 10 toms is just down right stupid.

• Members

Originally posted by Captain_howdy

what in the HELL would anyone do with that....good lord...

Actually I believe his kit is bigger now, if you go to dw and look at the wallpapers of the artists, you'll find his newer set up.

it's quite the neatest thing he does with hardware.

Tons of remote bass drums, hi-hats, and pedals, and he used to only use something like 2 stands for all of his cymbals. Now he's using a pacific rack.

His music is neat, at least some of the bls stuff, the classical solo pieces are sometimes good.

• Members

I'm sorry but I can not find a reason to justify having ten REAL toms in one particular set-up; That is plain ridiculous and stupid.:o

Give me a list of industry respected, talented drummers that have that many, and I might change my mind.;)

(1)peter criss and eric singer both were in kiss and both used a bunch 'o toms

(2)niel peart.

(3)terry bozzio

(4)mike portnoy

(5) carter beauford

(6) nicko mcbrain

(7) oscar seaton

(8) phill rudd

(9) alan white

(10) lars ulrich

but i do agree sort of : having that many toms is kinda unessisary! look at what john bonham can do with only 3 or 4 toms!!! but still i would like to have at the most 8 toms. don't know what do do with 2 more. when i played with 8 at my school i had a hard time with placement and tuning. everything took like 3 hours!!!!

• Members

Peter Criss and Lars Ulrich are not exactly well respected. With the exception of Bozio and *maybe* Nikko, I've never seen any of those drummers use a 12 piece kit. Timbales, roto-toms, extra snares, octobons, etc do not make a kit have more "pieces".

• Members

Originally posted by MikeK

Peter Criss and Lars Ulrich are not exactly well respected. With the exception of Bozio and *maybe* Nikko, I've never seen any of those drummers use a 12 piece kit. Timbales, roto-toms, extra snares, octobons, etc do not make a kit have more "pieces".

Why wouldn't tmbales, snares, octobans and such be considered extra pieces? They may not be toms, but that doesn't mean that they aren't pieces of the kit.

Just look at the standard 5-piece kit. 3 toms+1 bass+1 snare=a 5-piece. Under your logic, you shouldn't count the snare (or bass for that matter), so it is only a 3 piece.

No offense and not to be rude or anything, but it just doesn't make sense to not count extra snares as additional pieces.

Archived