Ddrum triggers VS rolands?

freakk guitarist

• Members

im gonna be doing some triggering in my studio, and im just curious as to which triggers are better for the money, or just better overall...

ive heard that the roland tom triggers suck, better off just buying 4 snare triggers, yes more costly, but doesnt cut out nearly as much

what about the Ddrum triggers, not hte redshots, the ones with the XLR out. how are those? im going to be recording all types of music, metal/soft rock (prolly wont trigger on soft bands, but id like to be able to)

Ian

• Members

I have Roland Triggers for my kicks and they are great. The tom triggers are absolutely horrible.

The Ddrum triggers seem to be the standard and if I had a choice I would buy Ddrums to trigger anything but my kicks (Though I have not tried them for my kicks, so I might find I like them better than my Rolands).

• Members

You're right, the roland tom triggers are not happening. BUT......I did however find a use for mine (not my idea, I saw a guy doing this in Vegas). Instead of bringing extra pads, I use the rims of my toms for triggering extra sounds.

Here's the story:

I have the tom triggers on the rims of the toms (as usual) but have the threashold of the module's trigger input settings really high. The regular tom head hitting (and minor rim hits) doesn't trigger the sound, but if I bash the rim, it will trigger the sound.

I actually purchased a few more since GC had a blowout on the tome trigger in a hard case a month or two ago. The blowout signals to me that I bet roland will come out with new ones soon (fingers crossed). The kick and snare triggers work great!

- MF

Archived