recommend some drumsticks!

Happy_Thom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had been using Regal Tip 7As for most of my drumming life, but lately have switched to the Vic Firths, wood tip when using a regular stick. Most of the time I use Hot Rods to keep down the volume. I have hearing damage and use the Rods as the volume is much easier on my ears, and I can still get a nice crackin' rim shot sound with them.

I have another question though...has anyone found a stick that is fatter than a 7A, yet is lighter weight?

To me, the 7As feel too skinny and hard to control now after playing with the Hot Rods.

• Members
Regal Tip 7As are 15" x .510"
Pro Mark 7As are 15 3/8" x .512"
Vater 7As are 16" x .540"
Vater Sweet Rides are 16" x .530"
Vater Studios are 15 7/8" x .530"
Vic Firth 7As are 15 1/2" x .540"
Vic Firth AJ4s are 16" x .520"
Vic Firth Peter Erskine Originals are 16" x .525"
Vic Firth SWUVs are 15 1/2" x .533"
Zildjian 6As are 16" x .530"
Zildjian 7As are 15 1/2" x .525"
Zildjian Big Band Jazzes are 15 15/16" x .505"

Surely one of those will work. Can't say I never did anything for you. :p

• Members

Is there a good resource that covers the different stick types and their sizes? Clearly it varies by brand (as Snake's post shows), but are there any general standards?

I ask because out here in Hawaii there isn't a wide selection of sticks at the very few stores we have, so it's it's not as effective to simply go to a store and check out different sticks.

• Members

In the time you've spent reading this thread, you probably could have worked another hour and made up the difference in stick costs anyway!

Buy the ones you want man, its not like youre throwing away money at all. Youre getting what you want.

I know we arent here for financial advise, but seriously :D

Btw, ahead sticks are NOT indestructible. They have a very different feel to wood sticks though, and don't sound as natural as wood sticks on cymbals. Some people love them, some hate them. Simple as that.

I, myself, love them. They get rid of soooo much stick vibration and I feel they offer good control. You will need to griptape them or something though. Theyre like 30 a pair, but if you ever do end up breaking them, you would have gone way over that in the price of wood sticks by the time that happens.

Best of luck in your search for the right sticks!

• Members

I can't believe I forgot about this guy: customdrumsticks.com. I bought some custom sticks from him a few years ago and they weren't bad and only cost about $2.50/pair. The tips chipped sooner than name brand sticks, but otherwise they were fine. He can combine just about any length, diameter and tip, but he prefers to copy existing sticks (at least he did a few years ago). Tell him you want copies of Regal Tip 7As and chances are he can make them. Shoot him an email and see what he says. If that doesn't work out, grab a tree branch and start whittling. :thu:

• Members

I really like hitting things with sticks. i've got a pacific kit, and an electronic, and a pile of snares.

that being said, i like having a bunch of different sticks to hit things with. right now i'm playing with the elvin jones sigs. a 7a user might like 'em. when I play metal, i use the dave silvera, or the ahead sticks (which most certainly DO break), both the joey j's and the lars.

Technique will definately help on the breakage. All I'm saying, though, is that I like having a big bag of sticks :-)

• Members

I also use AHEAD's...

My current stick of choice is the Lars Ulrich signature (roughly a 5B), though I also have a set of Tommy Lee signature and Joey Jordison (~5B and 7A respectively).

I did actually break my first pair of AHEADs about 2 months ago... but bear in mind I'd gigged these sticks for about 18 months in total before I snapped em...

• Members
Originally posted by slickrick1688

Must be your technique then. But still, metal hitting your cymbals is not a good thing. And since aheads stop vibrations from going into your hands, where do you think they go to, they go into your cymbals, which also isnt good.

Well, don't forget.. the Aheads have a rubber sheath that covers 3/4 of the stick.

Sure, you end up gouging chunks out of the rubber, but as long as you keep replacing the rubber sheaths as necessary - no problems.

So, from my experiences thus far, I haven't had "metal striking metal".

*shrug* Maybe it's just me... :D

• Members

I also have never cracked or broken any cymbals with aheads, I used them exclusively for about 2 years and throughout those two years I used them on Sabian AA's, AAX's, Pro Sonix, Zildjian ZBT, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Z Custom and also my Paiste Rude's. I did however crack a ZBT Crash with some travis barker signature sticks :p

I know many drummers who use ahead who have also had no problem with cracking cymbals, I dont think its my technique at all or anything I strike the cymbal full on with the shoulder and tip of the stick instead of making the "Sweeping motion"

I never had a problem, I just switched because they were too heavy for me (I had lars, joey signatures and a pair of special editons 5b's) I never tried the ahead 5a's which is weird because im using 5a pro marks, and I think I will for as long as I drum, theyve lasted me about 8 months and its the same pair except theyre a bit worn out.

I only started using a new pair so that I can "wear them in" because I prefer to use a stick which has been used for a bit rather than a completely brand new stick

The Aheads definitely dont deserve all the negativity they get, dont knock it till youve tried it!

• Members

they are very heavy and thats why i switched sticks, that doesnt mean they break cymbals though. I bet that the majority of people who have used them or use them havent broke any more cymbals than they would have had they used normal wooden sticks

• Members

actually, i have heard from a bunch of people on another forum who used them have broken cymbals where as they didnt using wood sticks. And to the plastic sheath on the sticks: if you coated a hammer in 1/16 inch think plastic, do you still think it will do the same amount of damage as it did without the coating?

• Members

Are hammers hollow? if they were then I would say it would do significantly less damage but theyre not, Ahead sticks ARE hollow and the metal on them is no thicker than 2mm, the covers are about 2mm thick and if you cant tell that theyre worn to the stick then its your fault.

• Members

Yeah, I think cymbals breaking is symptomatic of bad technique, bad angle/tightness setup, and just lots of wear and tear. The cymbal distributes the shockwave motion of the impact, which creates that "wash" sound, so the actual surface that hits the cymbal doesn't matter as much as the mass and velocity of the impact. That said, straight metal on your cymbals will eventually make little mars in the surface, which can't be good.

• Members

It does matter what hits the cymbal, when what is hitting the cymbal doesnt absorb the excess vibrations of the impact like most sticks do. With aheads, most vibrations arent absorbed and end up being distributed to the cymbals and your hands, which isnt really a good thing. Also try doing some rimshots with them.

Archived