Drumming in Studios: Who likes?

DrumMonkey

• Members

So this weekend I did some work for 2 mates, Mr 5150 and Big Hair...

So we were asked to use MIDI so having my Roland we went with that. Nightmare - Cubase was being an arse. I was spot on with the click, but listening back within 2 or 3 bars the drums would sound like they were way out... Some kind of techie latency issue. So we switched to real drums (yeah!)...

So I had 3 hours to set-up, mic, try various mic positions, various snares and get 5 tracks down... Only got 4 in the end...

But man... I've missed studio work!

Only the 3rd time I've done it, and it's the first time I've played to clicks. Not to blow my own trumpet, but the sound engineer couldn't believe it was my first time with a click.

Now to elaborate, my grooves were very simple. For one, I didn't know the songs (they were sprung on me a week ago cos the drummer my mates had planned backed out) and for two, I've never been (nor will be) a "wow" drummer... but it seems I have good timing and can pretty much nail a click...

So for me, it's been great. There's been pressure, sure.. but overall I'm chuffed I could nail things with a click which is something I was well worried about...

So the point of the thread is this... What studio experiences do you have, and did you enjoy it/them?

I really have the urge to do more now. I felt really satisfied when I nailed a take. It's a real nice feeling...

And as an addendum, what do you think is more important.. producing stuff that makes you think "wow", or keeping it simple but being bang on with the click?

Interested in your thoughts and comments.

- DM

• Members

I like it too.

My favorite story is when the last band I was in was recording a song called 'montague'. It's pretty technical and we nailed it on the first take. The engineer clicked in and said, "Wow! Nice job, I think we have it." We played it again anyway, but kept the first one. It's on my site. Drums aren't perf how I'd like them, but for a demo CD it was fine.

• Members

For recordings, I like the "wow" stuff, especially if you've got a larger expected audience. Some of the base beats is cool if the other instruments are interesting enough.

I like working in recording studios IF everyone has their {censored} together (***especially*** the engineer - don't let them bull{censored} you into thinking they know more than you JUST because they have a studio) or if I'm solo. I like it less if its under pressure (e.g., paying by the hour/day).

I have a home "studio," well, decent recording gear anyway, so I'm always in the studio. :D

Playing to a click = easy. Playing to a loose drummer = not so easy. :o

• Members

Yup, love it. I just love that feeling of grooving along to a click, and almost forgetting it's there and letting the band power through the song as a unit. I also like the 3 million mikes the engineer always manages to fill the room with. :)

The last producer I worked with has worked with people like U2, The Cure and other big name bands and he personally complimented me on my playing, saying I was one of the best drummers my age he's worked with. I've never really been openly complimented on my playing before, so it was nice coming from a guy who's seen it all. :eek:

I still suck though. :mad:

• Members

Yeah, I visited a studio a couple of times recently - i began drumming a few weeks ago ;) - just fooling around without pressures, but it was kind of motivating to jam a little and to finally hear some real drum sounds, because my drums are not miked. I wish to be in that position in a year or two with a real band.

• Members

I too enjoy recording in a studio. The first time I ever had to record to a click I was a bit worried, thinking I'd screw up all over the place.

I was very happy and proud of myself that I didn't.

As far as keeping with the click or being a "wow" I'd have to say you've got to do both. But that is dependent on the song as well and what is called for.

I have been thinking lately that I might be getting too mechanical playing to a click so I may be experimenting with that. The last few albums I recorded was just to a click and a reference part. The next time I will record with a full rhythm section and maybe scratch vocals so I can groove to the song as opposed to an inhuman click.

• Members

It was great working with you in this session and I was well impressed with the tones and beats you got. I knew you'd do a good job because the songs are based around similar types of music that you like, so I thought the fills etc would be just the type I'd want.

Hopefully soon we'll be able to do more sessions since me & mark are carrying on writing new songs. We also might do the songs which were done originally via programmed midi through a proper kit. Feel free to help out and join us, it'd be great to have you on board :D:cool:

• Members

I love recording and tracking my parts. I hate mixing though. Tedious and time consuming...

btw, everyone should record to a click. Unless you've got perfect meter, that is.

And before anyone says, just because you play to a click, doesn't mean you play robotically. A lot of people freak out because they feel that they have to play right on the beat. You can play slightly ahead or behind it to alter the feel. It's just a guide to prevent any radical speeding up or slowing down.

• Members

It's all good. I love the whole recording process in general. I'm in the midst of turning my basement into a "studio" as well, so I can start working with and tracking ideas as soon as they come to me.

• Members

Originally posted by C JoGo

I am playing 88% studio =>= much preferred over live. It took some time to get used to the pads--but now, after 10+ years on electronic only~~ never going
:thu:
back

That looks more like you're playing office than you are playing drums. :confused::freak:

And is that a reel to reel off to the side!?

• Members

i've never played to a click before. but i do enjoy studio drumming.

my band just started recording a demo about a week ago, and it is pretty fun to have the whole band together recording.

at times it can get pretty stressful because im worried about messing up and having to redo it, but the best thing to do is just relax, and it turns out a lot better than being on the edge of your seat and all tensed up.

• Members

Originally posted by ulank

That looks more like you're playing office than you are playing drums.
:confused::freak:

And is that a reel to reel off to the side!?

The "office" drums are great live~~ as well as the studio:p

Actually a Tascam reel to reel 8 track --have a cassette 8 track, also >> --just around for clients with that format >>probably switchcd on twice, in 10 years:eek:

• Members

my band is soon to go to do studio work.

I have a question. Is it alot easier to play to a click?? I forget parts really bad if I can't hear my guitarist. I'm really interested to hear my stuff recorded professionally.

• Members

Originally posted by redviper

I have a question. Is it alot easier to play to a click?? I forget parts really bad if I can't hear my guitarist. I'm really interested to hear my stuff recorded professionally.

Playing (well) to a click takes practice. It would probably benefit you (not to mention the music you're recording) if you played live with the whole band.

• Members

I had the click and one of the guitrarists playing a guide track at the same time. Plus we also had cheat sheets up on the wall (verse 8 bars, chorus 8 bars, solo 16 bars, etc).

It's doubtful you'd be asked to play to a click and a click alone.

- DM

• Members

As Huskerdude said, definitely practice with a click prior to going into the studio. If you don't and have never practiced with a click before, I can pretty much guarantee you'll be in for a struggle.

And indeed, the best thing IMO is to play along live with the band, with a click in the mix. A good headphone mix is CRUCIAL IMO, so if you don't like the levels, be sure to ask your engineer to give you more of what you want (click, guitar, whatever.)

• Members

If playing edrums--you play to the click--and after the take , simply quantize your MIDI performance ..and you are in perfect time !! One does not have to play so exact to the click --just a reference for the band. I play primarily studio drums, and clicks are a standard of the industry ..since time is money.

Archived