Need help to chose a set of cymbals...

Andier

• Members

I'm seriously considering the Zildjian, but I don't know what "A series" and "K series" means respectively, and if there is any other series....

I'd like to chose them individually, two crashs, one lower and one higher, a pair of hit-hat, a ride and a splash... but I just don't know what to do about the sizes and individual model(since I was informed of the lack of reliability of the packed cymbals... ) so i'm asking for help to work out an array of numbers, and models.... thanx ...

Any reply is really appreciated!!!

Andier

• Members

Zildjian are the best by far.

There are also Z series cymbals to choose from.

K's have the warmest of the tones and make some awesome crashes.

On another note, Bosphorus makes a killer 22 and 20 in ride for the fraction of the cost. If I were going to buy a ride it would be this.

I would stick to Zildjians for your Hihats. Check out the "ROCK"

14's. All around great durable set. Still pricey

• Members

Cymbals are very subjective and depend entirely on the music you are playing, Loud or soft, dynamic or not.

I wouldn't recommend a "box set". Most are cheaper series...but not all.

I have been collecting cymbals of all types and brands for 35yrs and finally have what I need for most anything I tackle.

I play mostly quieter music, country and older rock, some jazz & blues.

Here are some of my favs/recommendations:

Hihat: A Zildjian 15" Mastersound (NOT Custom)

Crashes: A Zildjian 12" ( a nice splash/crash), Sabian HHX Studio 14", Zildjian and Cie 16", Paiste 18" Fast Crash. A well rounded mixture.

Rides: I have 3 zildjians and don't really like any of them. My favorite that I don't have anymore was a Paiste 2002 22". It was really shimmery but was too loud for my ears.

You just have to try them out, and swap the ones you dont' like. I wouldn't recommend eBay for cymbals, as the ones for sale, someone else doesn't like and you probably won't either. That's my experience anyway.

Good luck.

• Members

Really if you are looking for a good deal. Get sabian XS20. They are freaking awesome.

If you want to spend some money Get the Sabian eXplosion crashes the 16" and 18" then get the AAX cymbals for the rest.

I personally like sabian over zildian because they don't break and crack as easy. But don't get me wrong Zildians are still pretty awesome if you get the really expensive ones.

It all depends on your style of music. If it's more rock and heavier stuff definitely get the Sabians but Zildians are really good for the lighter music.

• Members

One good way to get started, Andier, is to visit the major's web sites (Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste) and look at what their various endorsers are using.

Chances are, you'll see someone who's drums you like the sound of (ok, doubtful it's the exact thing that was recorded -- what with samples and all, but at least it will get you in the ball park).

Next is to visit your nearest cymbal mega-store and whack a few for yourself. You'll be more able to tell the differences between them in person. Oh, and make sure you have someone hit/play/whack the cymbal for you while you listen across the room.

Keep at it, and eventually you'll start to learn the characteristics that various models share with each other. Then you'll be better at using the eBay crap shoot.

-bruce

• Members

i also prefer sabian to zildjian.

i've had 3 zildjians crack on me and never a sabian.

i own alot of the sabian Paragon line. which is Niel Pearts signature set. and they are the most amazing cymobls to my ears.

but the HHX are also quite nice.

• Members

Why not do the smart thing... go too the music store and pick out the Cyms you like. Just stay away from the entry stuff like zxt's,zbts and equivielent in paiste and sabian and you'll be ok. Its not what others think...It's what you think that counts. I personally have never broken a Zildjian or Paiste cym. I dont like Sabian...so I have not had a chance.

Gotta do this for yourself .:thu:

• Members

I prefer used cymbals myself. UFIP, Bosphorus, Paiste, Zildjian, Sabian, whatever's decent.

It's simple. If you're in a band, you'll need to be heard. Your ride will need to cut ("ping") and have enough wash to be present in the mix. Likewise with your hats. Cheap beginner crap ain't gonna cut it.

Find a local drumshop that carries used cymbals; keep stopping by there. Patience is a virtue. Don't worry about brands. 99% of cymbals are round and made of alloys. Listen to them closely. Listen to them from a distance as someone else plays them. Learn to discern what's good and what's not. With a little time you'll be able to tell what's crappy with your ears. When you've settled on your cymbals, you'll be happy to have them, and not wishing you'd saved up for something better.

(the cymbals that I settled on are 15" A.Zildjian NewBeats, either a 21" UFIP Classic or 22" Paiste 2002 ride, and 17, 18" Zildjian K crashes ... except for the 2002, everything was purchased used)

• Members

You guys are so awesome!!~ I've never expected so many replies... and your experience really help me out!

I now decided

Sabian AAXplosion Crash Pack

Sabian AAX Series Stage Ride

(alternative:Sabian AAX Series Metal Ride)

Sabian AAX Series Stage Hi Hats

(alternative:Sabian AAX X-Celerator Hi-Hats)

Hope you guys feel ok about this setup...

and definitely I'll go to the music store to hear them right in front of my face.

especially I'd like to thank Drumr, your advice is really appreciated, but I just think it's a little complicated for me a beginner to choose in different brand names..:)

• Members

Take your time Andier...like Agogobill said.

Avoid entry level like Tama Tom said.

Listen close, don't worry about "matching" by brand or series.

But, maybe buy a box set now...upgrade piece by piece as you can afford and learn what you need. I'm sure you will be doing that anyway...we all do.

22" Paiste 2002...Yeah!

Don't forget about the horribly expensive but awesome A Zildjian 15" mastersounds ($299).

Cymbal collecting is fun and it's interesting how different cymbals work within different styles. Lots of cymbals is fun, but so is a hi-hat and a single crash/ride.

Sell what you tire of on eBay.

Have fun!

• Members

To give you a better idea of what you are looking at, you have to realize that Sabian and Zildjian's are part of the same family tree. Sabian AA = Zildjian A

Sabian HH = Zildjian K

Basically, AAs are lathed cymbals and HHs are hammered cymbals. Lathed cymbals are focused and have less of a full sound. Hammered cymbals have more body but lack a defined cut.

All the other cymbals fall somewhere in between. For instance, AAXplosions are lathed cymbals with a hammered bell.

• Members

andier I have almost the exact set-up that u mentioned(plus more) and i love them. The 16 and 18 xplosions are awsome together. I also have the stage ride which is great but there are others and I have the x-celerator hats which are sweet. If you get a splash and want to stick to sabian check out the hhx evolution its amazing in my opinion.

Archived