Rat-A-Tat Busy Drummers

summit111

• Members

Depends on the song. Yeah, that's the answer to every {censored}ing question on every internet board there is, innit? :rolleyes:

{censored} it. I'll take a stand. No, if you're playing a regular old back beat, it sucks. If you play too many fills, you're a show off. If you solo too much, you're a wanker.

:mad: :mad: :mad::)

If you are a musician, you will find a balance. Actually, I like drummers who use toms in a groove rather than mainly for fills. I don't like "fills" much actually. They're annoying. Of course, I'm basing this on the incompetent idiots I've played with..asdkiusahgciuwgei uhacsiduciaug!U!!!!!!!!!!s dahahahreiafhd~!

I've had a really {censored}ty day today, I can't think straight. Fck it. Good night.

• Moderators
Originally posted by headmasterchaos

Actually, I like drummers who use toms in a groove rather than mainly for fills. I don't like "fills" much actually. They're annoying.

Hmm... well on this you're making sense to me. I'm more interested in creative grooves than wacky fills.

I try to remember to ask myself... "IS a fill needed before this change?

Also, crash cymbals can be very irritating.

But toms often make me happy. :love:

• Members
Originally posted by Actionsquid

....I also think a lot of drummers spend a lot of time on chops before getting their meter and dynamics solid. If you've tried to play in a band with these guys, you know how maddening it is.

Hey.....you know what? I say, let 'em keep doing it that way.

More work for us! :D:D:D

• Moderators
Originally posted by the DW

Hey.....you know what? I say, let 'em keep doing it that way.

More work for us!
:D:D:D

That is DAMN true.

Honestly, my "chops" are pretty basic. But I play a LOT with a click and often only play fills when asked to.

Funny, there's a LOT of people who'd like me to play with 'em, even if I just played a basic beat and didn't speed up in every chorus!

And I enjoy playing like that!

• Members

ovedrplaying for the sake of overplaying is just irritating.

if all that's called for is a simple 4/4 why bother doing anything else?

drummers are supposed to provide a beat and groove. as soon as you start overplayign for what is necesarry you're acting detrimentally to the groove and beat

i look at it this way. i'm a guitarist 1st and foremost but i had noodly {censored} like van halen and alot of 80s solos because it's overplaying simply because they can overplay. now imagine guitars going weedly weedly weeee all the way through a song and that's about how annoying busy drums are to me.

• Members
Originally posted by Actionsquid

That is DAMN true.

Honestly, my "chops" are pretty basic. But I play a LOT with a click and often only play fills when
asked
to.

Funny, there's a LOT of people who'd like me to play with 'em, even if I just played a basic beat and didn't speed up in every chorus!

And I enjoy playing like that!

I hear you!

It's kind of interesting that sometimes I'm accused of being a lazy drummer because I won't do the 'flash' thing. Just recently, I had to explain to one band leader that it's not that I'm lazy, I just don't like to overplay. To borrow from JBJ (above), it's like calling Eric Clapton lazy just because he doesn't shred like Eddie Van Halen!

It's almost like the difference between the nouveau riche and old money. Those with new found wealth will often flaunt it excessively, while those whose wealth spans generations don't. They know what they have, and don't need to prove anything to anyone.

Life is strange! :D

• Members

Originally posted by john clarity

so are we all agreed, we'll all be fine so long as we remember to be musicians, and not just "drummers"??

It just occurred to me....perhaps it's an evolutionary thing? When you're relatively new to the game, you want to show everyone what you're capable of. As the years roll by, you find out that people respond best to simple beats (hence the popularity of Disco), and you adjust accordingly.

Or think about one of the most famous drum solos in history (as outlined in another thread) - Wipeout. This has got to be the simplest solo - single stroke roll on one tom with accents - yet people go nuts when you play it!

Just a theory.

• Members

As a guitarist that's had the pleasure of playing with some very talented drummers. It's all about time! Either you've put in the time or you haven't! I don't enjoy the jam if someone hasn't put in the time to learn, understand, listen, enjoy, improvise, create generally know what to do without explaining everything! As with any musician we've all had our stint showing off. Hopefully you've realized that putting on a show isn't about you, it's about the audience! I remember the time when I was finally able to squeeze in a Joe Satriani solo inside of "I saw her standing there" and looking out at all the chicks assuming that I'd have the entire audience looking at me! Instead I had all the musicians that I knew in awe, but all the girls were up on the dance floor having a good time! So ya, as a musician I can really dig a drummer who can "light up" they're kit. But watching from the audience I expect to have someone who is part of the band! That goes for any member of the band!
Later
brian

Archived