Drum solos

kmd_97

• Members

I look to Charlie Watts as the best example of what drum solos should be. Not so much for what he plays but for the duration. That 2-bar intro to "Get Off of My Cloud", the 2-bar fill in "Satisfaction", that's about how long a drum solo should last, certainly no more than 8 bars. If you need a timepiece to determine the length of a drum solo, I'd say that solo is a bit too long.

Charlie is also the best example of stick-twirling. He never does it during a tune, only between tunes while waiting for Mick and Keith to quit {censored}ing around.

• Members

Drum solos need to be musical or they mean nothing. Listen to steve gadd for solos that inspire. Everything he ever does is musical and well structured in groups of 4 or 8 bars. This makes it easy to listen to. He builds his solos from the ground up and tells a story. There is always a beginning a middle and an end. Above all, he's always playing music, not just drums. Solos are also an acquired taste. It's of course not a pre requisite to like solos in order to play drums. But I think listening to drum solos from metal bands for example do little to encourage drummers who aren't into solos. They just rattle off the fastest double bass licks and blast beats from their vast repertoire of..erm... double bass licks and blast beats, purely for the sake of entertainment by speed. The drumming equivalent of drag racing :D But I enjoy them anyway. Nowhere near as much as weckl, chambers or vinnie though.

• Members

Originally posted by El Glom-o

I look to Charlie Watts as the best example of what drum solos should be. Not so much for what he plays but for the duration. That 2-bar intro to "Get Off of My Cloud", the 2-bar fill in "Satisfaction", that's about how long a drum solo should last, certainly no more than 8 bars. If you need a timepiece to determine the length of a drum solo, I'd say that solo is a bit too long.

Charlie is also the best example of stick-twirling. He never does it during a tune, only between tunes while waiting for Mick and Keith to quit {censored}ing around.

+1:thu:

• Members

From what I could rembember In my guitar days. The drum solo was for so we could take a brake and get a drink. Why? hell If I know. There Is one simple rule, notes are like talking, you can say a bunch of words and not mean anything, or mean alot with a few words... Just listen to Eric Jhonson play guitar, sweet with taste and mucho feeling with just a small amount of notes. David Gilmore Is another one.

• Members

Originally posted by kylehoehn

well apparently you can't think for yourself, so it means

Holy {censored}. Looks like we found the idiot that Open Jam lost.

"You don't like drum solos, which everyone else likes, so apparently you can't think for yourself!"

I swear, the logic in that alone makes me want to go back in time nineteen years to finance your abortion.

• Members

Another really interesting solo is "Mr. High Hat" by Max Roach, 5:30 of just a guy on the high-hat, but very enjoyable. It was originally done by a guy in Count Basie's band Jo Jones, but I've never personally heard that version.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by boose44

Pappa Jones, man, now there was an innovator.

We'd all be playing 4 on the floor according to some folks -- if it weren't for him.

Check out two videos here:

doesn't have Mr. High Hat, but the second has a great solo.

-bruce

Thanks for posting that, that solo was a whole lot of fun to watch and listen to. Everybody could learn a whole lot from that one clip.

• Members

Originally posted by Drumr

Jeez, did you have to post that video...I was just getting over my depression from my last visit to Drummrsworld.

haha.. sorry Drumr. I'll try to refrain in the future as I know all too well of which you speak. :D

-bruce

Archived