Paiste vs. Zildjian

Dyzio

• Members

I'm considering to getting a new set of cymbals (hi-hats,crash,ride) and I'm stuck between paiste and zildjian cymbals. Can anyone here give me any good advice on which company I should choose?:confused:

Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Wideyed Gecko

Yeah, what did Bonham use? That would be a good place to start.

Bonham used Paiste, but I agree that you just need to listen to different cymbals and decide which sound best to you. I personally like the Zildjian Avedis series because of their all around versatility and because they're reasonably priced.

• Members

I personally play Paiste myself but the drum institution Im at has a endorsement with Zildjian. Ive played the 3 main manufacturers and I liked Zildjian the least, by all means Im not saying there bad they just didnt have that nice of a sound compared to Sabian or Paiste for me.

• Members

You shouldn't buy somthing just because someone else uses them. I will submit that is true. But you can't really deny that if you like a particular drummers sound then you have to use similar gear to achieve that sound efficiently.

If he likes Bonham's sound. (not just his style) then he should be playing Paiste. Maybe not the 2002's (because they may be out of his price range) but even the lower models have a similar ring to them as the pricier ones. I say SIMILAR not exact or as good but similar. Because similar techniques are used to make Cymbals of the same brand name.

• Members

Originally posted by Locky

as long as u stay away from zildjian ZBT and ZXT ur fine

also avoid sabian B8'.. good strength but not the greatest sound.

may i ask why u've cut out sabian?

i dunno why I cut out sabian, never really considered them....

But yeah, I should start with paiste since bonham did play them

• Members

Gonzo used paiste, therefore use paiste! Ok? Case CLOSED! My advice: get whatever your hero used, and if they don't turn out to be exactly to your personal taste down to the last detail, put your ear right next to the hi-hat and meditate on the sound, find your center; now you are one with God.

jk I would go with zildjian; much more palatable in my opinion.

• Members

I must put in another vote for "buy whatever sounds good to you".

I'm using Zildjian, Paiste and Sabian cymbals in my setup. Bought the best sounding cymbal for the job, regardless of brand.

More food for thought.

• Members

Originally posted by Sty1es

I've got a set of ZHTs! Does that make me lame?
:(

Or just a beginner?
:rolleyes:

I've said this before: A good drummer can make the audience forget he's playing a bad drumset (or cymbals), but a bad drummer can't make the audience forget he's a bad drummer, no matter how good the equipment he's playing on.

Strive to be a good drummer!

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by ledzepfan

i dunno why I cut out sabian, never really considered them....

But yeah, I should start with paiste since bonham did play them

yea my set up is 3/4's sabian paragon. they are amazing, niel pearts signature set. usually i wouldn't recomend gettin a full set up but these are an exception. i got the 13", 14" hats 16" crash 18" crash 22" ride and 19" china.

but paiste also make very nice, but very expensive cymbols.

• Members

Originally posted by rockbeat

I have yet to actually hear any of the ZHT series, but I have heard good things about them.

Hey, if you're happy I'm happy.
:D

You know what....I'm happy because I have something decent to play for a decent price. They definately do sound better than the ZBTs.

I can't wait until everyone's gone tommorow and I can bang again :thu:

• 2 years later...
  • Members

try the ZHTS or the ufip tiger seiries kk

if your ever gettin a china get a paiste 2002 china or a 16 inch oriental china trash. or even do what ronnie from the killers doeswith the constantinople crash as top hat and breakbeat ride as bottom hat. that way when you do a break down just open your hihat. that is all:thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Nothing really matters aside from whay sounds RIGHT to your ear.

-That being said-

My personal preference w/any of them runs to their premium premo - stuff

And having said that - in with the premo priced stuff Zildjian Ks compete and shake out extremely well! ..... I love'em and they are made - RIGHT HERE - in the USA - NO_BODY_ELSE!!!!! can say that!

YMMV etc...etc... I'm Just sayin' that I've gone around for a long time ...going around to every store......hitting....slappping...and spanking every cymbal I can find.......which is far from everything that's around - i.e. there is no Istanbul dealer in my neck-O-the woods etc.....

From what I've had available to listen to.......Zildjian K.... Mainly of the DARK persuasion..and sometimes CUSTOM DARK Ks have been the clear hands-down favorite of my ears! I freakin' love the things...Nice woody clicky stick w/dark underwash that never over-rings or builds up into some uncontrollable FREAKIN' MESS Like so many do..including Zildjians own A Custom line which I mostly hate with the one exception of the 16" A CUSTOM FAST CRASH which i think is the perfect rock or even jazz crash ---and it gets out of the way really quickly but still is a crash and not a splash!

I could go on but I'm done!

Archived