New album, now what to do about copyright

Parallex

• Members

A quick question on copyright as there are several different things you can do....

I want to officially register with the copyright office, just to establish this point first off.

Once we get this cd completed we're working on, I know you can copyright the recording or compilation. Does this serve as a copyright for each song on the cd too? Or only for that "compilation" of songs.

Basically what I'm asking is to properly register my music, do I need to go through and pay and register each song individually, or is there a way I can register the whole cd in one shot and it's all protected?

• Members

We registered our by sending two cds out. Everything is copyrighted at the same time. I am sure you have to fill out a form that asks about each song, but sending the information is a one time thing you can do all at once.

I didn't do the paper work for ours, but it sounded pretty straight forward and there was only one fee.

That being said, it takes months to get your official copyright information. The bright side is that the copyright starts, however, as soon as they receive the work.

• Members

Originally posted by HarpNinja

The bright side is that the copyright starts, however, as soon as they receive the work.

Actually, the copyright starts as soon as it is recorded in a tangible form. When you are registering, you are only registering the copyright that already exists.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#what

See questions 4 and 5.

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

Actually, the copyright starts as soon as it is recorded in a tangible form. When you are registering, you are only registering the copyright that already exists.

See questions 4 and 5.

that is correct, but if you are wanting to duke it out in the courts you're going to have the strong arm if you're registered.

• Members

Originally posted by Parallex

that is correct, but if you are wanting to duke it out in the courts you're going to have the strong arm if you're registered.

Yes.

Unless the other person is too.

See the case where George Harrison got sued for "My Sweet Lord ( a registered copyright) for sounding too much like "He's So Fine", also a copyrighted tune.

Registering usually protects you from ownership issues, but not from infringement.

• Members

Originally posted by joestanman

man this forum is full of worry warts!

but it's education, too. I'm not necessarily worried about anything, I just want to know how to do what I want to do. But I think people do need to keep up on this stuff too.

We're small time and assume nothing bad ever happens to us and we're safe. Except recently we discovered, while randomly watching "Made" on MTV one of our very own {censored}ing songs playing in the background. How they got it, I don't know, who's permission they got, I don't know, and who did they pay, I don't know...we're still looking into it, but the whole point is I quickly discovered I can't be immune to the evil powers that be out there just because we're small time.

• Members

You copyright the songs, as many as you want in one lumpsum, for $30, using the PA form. They'll all be nder one title.

You copyright your CD as a complete product for $30 using the SR form.

NOTE you can now submit songs using a PA form in digital format...that means your songs can be MP3, WMA, WAV, etc...so with a disc full of MP3's...you could copyright like 100's of songs for $30 in one shot. Cool {censored}!!!!

If you ever need to break a tune out of the PA copyright...you can just do a new PA form for the one song, flip $30 for it, and reference the original PA title it was previously copyrighten under the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Have you had personal experience with this, out of curiousity?

From the US copyright office FAQ:

I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?

The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

From the US copyright office FAQ:

I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?

The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

I'm aware of this. I've read the copyright office's website several times. But I was curious about hearing a story of this in action and seeing how it turned out.

• Members

Yes. I tried to tell the ninny that such a "poor man's copyright" was worthless, and the song "Help Me Make It Through The Night" - written around the original song - held up due to a duly executed copyright, and the fool's didn't.

I was called as a professional witness, but the case never went on to trial on sound legal advice. She lost a ton of money listening to 'experts' who never did it themselves. She actually lost 10 of her best works in the process of 'going to Nashville'.

FireStorm

• Members

I have a friend much like all of us that posts tunes on forums for people to hear.

Well this guy posted one, then about a year and a half later someone emails him about some guy selling some music on the Internet claiming my friends song is part of this guys CD. Well, one of the songs this guy was selling was my friends!!!!

Everyone on the forum jumped in, we wrote letters to his local newpapers about the community thief, contacted his website provider in which they shut that portion of his site down.

After a little more invesigation....we found that others had made the same type of complaints about their tunes. About 80% of his songs on the CD were someone else, someone elses recordings even.

This guy had endorsements and everything. He was "the king of the blues" in his local area.

But, this guy actually took steps to copyright the music he stole...even though it wasn't his stuff. So, there was no legal action that could be taken. He ripped off people that didn't copyright their music and then copyrighted it himself. So, by law he was the owner by legal rights.

We found out later that this guy was also passing off some other guys military record as his own, and some other goofy stuff.

So...do you know you can copyright your stuff by submitting MP3's??? Big stuff. For one $30 fee and a PA form you can copyright 100's of songs for $30. There's simply no excuse not to protect yourself...especially once you start distributing it...especially on the Internet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

while randomly watching "Made" on MTV one of our very own {censored}ing songs playing in the background. How they got it, I don't know, who's permission they got, I don't know, and who did they pay, I don't know...

Are you {censored}ting me? That's messed up!:eek:

• Members

Except recently we discovered, while randomly watching "Made" on MTV one of our very own {censored}ing songs playing in the background. How they got it, I don't know, who's permission they got, I don't know, and who did they pay, I don't know...we're still looking into it

I don't know how you might be looking into it, but just in case, at this point you should be a member of ASCAP or BMI. Either one can pursue this on your behalf.

Archived