cracking cymbals :[

SublimeOi

• Members

is no fun.

I have a 22" Zildjian ride from the 70's and it was seriously the best cymbal ive ever played. It always had a little knick on it and after about 2 years of playing it the knick just turned into a small crack which will keep getting bigger.

And soon enough i will have to buy a new ride. I wish i could fix it.

• Members

Originally posted by Flaat

you could drill a small hole at the end of the crack. That
SHOULD
prevent it from getting bigger.

I think a better prediction is that drilling a hole at the end of the crack COULD prevent it from spreading.

A couple things are just as likely:

1.) the crack already extends further than is visible on the surface of the cymbal. Lots of people end up drilling where crack is already established, and in reality the crack has already spread further into the cymbal than where they drill.

2.) the hole that is drilled actually stops the crack, temporarily, but the crack continues to spread again later on. Think of it this way, at one point (pre-crack) the cymbal vibrated "together" with itself since it was one unit. Now, where the crack is, you have two "independent" surfaces, so one side of the crack might be vibrating upward while the other side of the crack is vibrating downward. The hole you drilled is now dealing with opposing forces, and eventually a new crack develops.

Anyway, drilling can work for a while, but the odds are favorable that even a well placed hole will only slow down the inevitable cracking process once it's begun.

Archived