Benefits of 20 inch bass drums

naturalbluesky

• Members

Originally posted by theFoot

I wonder how the Catalina 22"x20" compares to your older 22"x? (16" I reckon). 22x20 is a lot of air (and wood) to move.

The one I had must have been a real thin shell. It had supports on the inside that ran from each spike tube to the underside of the tom mount. I'm guessing that this was to keep the load off of the shell, and let it vibrate freely. It worked, but it made the bass drum kind of heavy to lug around.

Great sound, though. I'm sure the Catalina will sound as good.

• Members

Originally posted by theFoot

Gotcha. my $.02

As a youngster I played out with 22" and 26", but I was playing loud, and often mic'd. For the more "toned down" stuff Iplay now I'm kicking an old 20" Slingerland that is beaten to hell and missing parts, but still sounds great. Recently, I picked up a Catalina Club kit and plan to use the 18" as my main set-up. I really wanted a small kit, and the 18" will be fine in most situations. Since I will never get rid of my 22" Rogers, I have a bigger drum when needed.

So, I went with 2 drums instead of 1. If I were to only have 1 set, it would ABSOLUTELY be built around a good 20" kick. With a 20", there a few times when I would need anything bigger.

As far as setup goes, with the 20" is a lot easier to work with. I keep my toms low, too. The 18" is just like the 20"do to the BD lifter.

My first pick would be Gretsch (not the Catalinas), then DW. I find that the best small BDs I hear are Gretschs. That could be because the people playing those drums really know what they're doing, too. I can't recall being in the same room as a 20" DW, but their small toms can sound HUGE, so why not the BDs?

So there ya go. Gretsch 20" BD and a few heads and you're set for the rest of your life!

Thanks Foot (and everyone else). Some good food for thought there. My guitarist works in a shop that deals in both Gretsch and DW, so I'm going to pay him a visit tonight.

• Members

In retrospect, I almost wish I'd gotten a 20" and a 22" instead of the pair of 22s.

I'm lefty, and own a lefty double pedal. If I were to buy another complete set today, I'd get:

- a 22" and a 20"

- a RIGHTY double pedal

I'd put the primary 22" under the smaller toms and next to the hihat, with the double pedal attached to it. The 20", even though on the left (primary) side, would be tuned MUCH higher - it would be used for special effects and in certain songs where I might want a very different bassdrum sound.

Hmmmm.... maybe I'll see if a local drum shop would take a trade-in on double pedals. Or maybe I'll just purchase a righty double...

Originally posted by Multibomber

My kit is 18x22 and 16x22 and I wish I would've gone with a 20x20 and a 18x20. Practically the same oomph, but being two inches smaller makes it SOOOOOOO much easier to set your toms up nice and low.

• Members

I saw a pretty sweet kit at the shop last night: A Ludwig Classic Birch w/ 20" kick and 10-12-14 toms in silver sparkle. It was 40% off, going for $1,400, snare and hardware included. I should have asked them to set it up for me, but I was running late.

I don't know anything about Ludwig kits, but it looked sweet.

• Members

sidereal

...Ludwig Classic Birch w/ 20" kick and 10-12-14 toms in silver sparkle...for $1,400, snare and hardware included...

Set it up to see if you like BirchPoplar sound.

Do they have any Ludwig Classic Maples in the same sizes? AB 'em. I would assume the tone of the birch will be a little more present (high-end) with shorter sustain.

• Members

I just played the new Gretsch Catalina Club 18" tuned way low. The room was about 70'x55' and had apx 115 people in it. That thing was just fine with no mic's. I was playing along with a couple old Twin Reverbs and the mix was great. If the guitars had more fire power, I would have just mic'ed the drum, but the tone was fine. It had nice prescence with enough low-end to give it the oomph.

Maybe I'll never need that 22" or 20" again!

• Members

I started out playing a 20" as well. If you're not playing Metal or need a lot of power, the 20" should be fine.

I now have a 22" and enjoy it. I was going to say that I like the 22" better because it has more of a lower end and Omph (to me that larger presence of thump)...BUT....

The 20" I had played on were cheaper sets and not the better woods. So I would bet that you could get a higher end bass be just fine.

Heads aren't that hard to find. It just another example of how GC doesn't know what people want, or care.

Is more like you're not going to find a Hummer oil filter at Wal-Mart. WM and GC are geared toward what sells everyday so no shelf space is wasted.

Just go to any band supply store and bingo! Seems to be that 20"basses are a staple in marching bands.

So, the better quality drum in 20" will work just fine. May be just a matter of heads. Can tune low w/thick heads or high w/thin heads.. or in between. The better quality will make up for the smaller size and should be punchier and tighter while still having a good low end. And is easier to carry and tune. Hope this helps.

• Members

Also I wouldn't get too many plies, trying to overcompesate for the smaller size with more plies might make it too limiting in the sounds you can get.

I think it gets like the smaller rack toms (8"/10"); can totally change the sound with different heads and the smaller size will make it also easier to tune to different sounds. Just my two cents.........

• Members

Another vote here, for the 22" kick. We're playing only rock, with our main style being classic/70's/arena rock. She's my cannon!! I'm currently using the Evans EMAD kick, and as it stands now, I will never use any other batter head on this thing.

If you are basing your decision on buying the 20", due to the wieght and having to carry it around, i believe, that most of us drummers could easily handle toting around an extra 2" of wood(although, my girlfriend keeps insisting I could STILL use another 2" of 'wood')

Rock on!!

• Members

This is a question that has been rattling around in my mind for little while. Does anyone have experience with this to prove or disprove?

Assuming a 20" and a 22" are tunedheadedmuffled similarly, would the crowd be able to hear a difference between the sound of a 22" or 20", once the sound guy puts the mic in that tub? I think the PA would make up for any difference that may exist.

I've only had a variety of 22"s and my 26" with mic & PA set-ups (and played 20"s and smaller with out mic's), but due to my experience with; A) sound systems in big rooms, and B) the sound of 20" BDs, I think they would sound the same.

In fact, due to the controlled nature of a 20", it may sound better. I know that my 22" were always easier to handle than my 26".

Anyway, anyone have experience with rockin' out with the 20" and a big PA?

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I've used both 22" and 20" in small clubs on up to large outdoor festivals.

I think that unless you have your own PA your drums are going to sound the way the sound guy thinks they should. Usually you're setting up so fast that you have no say in how it sounds. Without PA I think a 20" cuts through better. More than any other reason, I like the 20 becuse its smaller, lighter,

easier to fit in a car etc.. I'm 35 and tired of carrying heavy stuff.(DW flat base stands :thu: )

Archived