cymbals for serious amateurs

kenm

• Members

Originally posted by swilder

I think cymbals are sort of mislabeled.

Instead of being starter cymbal , intermediate, pro and such.

They should label them something like:

cymbals for hobbyists - They're cheap and they clang

cymbals for serious amateurs - bang for the buck

Uncompromising sound cymbals - If you have to ask about price then you're not our target customer

That is a good point. I have a set of the Uncompromising (Zild Ks) and am now trying to put together a set of Serious Amateurs for a practice/secondary/recording at home kit. Suggestions? Good used cymbals or cheap but good sounding stuff?

Ken

• Members

Originally posted by whiskee

Sabian B8's are good bang for the buck. I got the standard set.

Meinl, Wuhan... I would look into at least those. Pretty cheap in general, but not "beginner brands".

The B8's are ok. I am not sure that I would put them above the "they're cheap--they clang" category though. I have been most impressed with wuhans. Of all the low-cost sets, I think they are the best. YMMV

• Members

I'm not sure if there are 3 different levels....I'd say that there are really two:

Budget cymbals and pro-level cymbals.

While Zildjian K's definitely are definitely "pro-level" so are A's, A Customs, and even Z's if you ask me. Granted, they have different applications, but all of them would be considered 'top of the line' IMHO.

Sheet brass, and other non-premium cymbals are the low cost alternative for people who want to save a few bucks.

I suppose below that, there's "no-name" cymbals, but I don't think too many people go out and buy those as much as they're "thrown in" on low end kits.

• Members

Originally posted by JSimms

The B8's are ok. I am not sure that I would put them above the "they're cheap--they clang" category though. I have been most impressed with wuhans. Of all the low-cost sets, I think they are the best. YMMV

After having played brass cymbals, I really really would. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by kenm

That is a good point. I have a set of the Uncompromising (Zild Ks) and am now trying to put together a set of Serious Amateurs for a practice/secondary/recording at home kit. Suggestions? Good used cymbals or cheap but good sounding stuff?

Ken

Overall I like sabian for bang for the buck. Where some cymbal makers put all their cool stuff at $200 or above. Many of sabian's cool cymbals can be had for less than $200

• Members

I would not buy a pre-assembled "cymbal set" from ANY manufacturer!

If I were just getting my first drums and cymbals now, I'd go for

a) a decent hihat set

and

b) a truly quality crash/ride. Not neccessarily expensive, just something that sounds good.

Makes me look back at my first set, which I (my parents, that is) bought used in 1975. 5pc Ludwig 1960s- era classic maple with Supraphonic snare, and all Zildjian cymbals: 22" crashride, 20" crash, and 14" standard hihats. All old and crusty, you could see those cymbals had been on the road at least a decade (and likely two) already. $250 for all of it.

Nowadays, a single new 20" ride can cost close to $250!!

• Members

I had thought that my next set of crashes and rides were going to be Paiste Rudes. But today I checked out the 2002's and they were sweet. I really like them, especially that 24'' ride! I was channeling the spirit of Bonham playing those today.

Now, they arent cheap. MF lists the ride at $350 ish and the crashes at $250ish. I also need some hats, so I think I basically need about $1000:cry:

Its a bit steep, but those Paistes gave me that musicality and sizzle that I like. I was with my guitarist (we both played hooky from work) and we tested the Zildjian A's against the 2002's and we both found that the A's were a little less musical. Not bad, but a little less lively, if you know what I mean.

So, Im taking donations. large bills only, please. :thu::D

• Members

I concur with Old Steve, Coyote, and Mraia.

Zild: A's, A customs, Ks and Z's (for heavy/metal)

Sabs: AA's, AAX, HH, HHX

Paiste: 2002s, Vintage, Sound Formulas, Rudes (for heavy/metal)

All above are good all around cymbals. even better if you can find used.

• Members

I'm partial to the turkish stuff. It's leaps and bounds better sound and quality wise than anything the factories are putting out, and for at or below the cost of their high end stuff [read, not boutique stuff]. HH and HHX is ok in a pinch. Been some Paistes I like. Sigs, DE's and for some reason I like the Giant Beats. And if I get near a set of vintage 602 hats or a 22" ride when my wallet is fat, look out. My infatuation with Zildjian ended a long time ago.

• Members

Originally posted by cheeseadiddle

I'm partial to the turkish stuff. It's leaps and bounds better sound and quality wise than anything the factories are putting out, and for at or below the cost of their high end stuff [read, not boutique stuff]. HH and HHX is ok in a pinch. Been some Paistes I like. Sigs, DE's and for some reason I like the Giant Beats. And if I get near a set of vintage 602 hats or a 22" ride when my wallet is fat, look out. My infatuation with Zildjian ended a long time ago.

Oh yeah, there are all kinds of other brands outside of the 'big 3', but the problem is that they're harder to find and/or try out. Since they don't have the distribution worked out like the bigs do, a lot of drummers (myself included) don't know much about companies like Istanbul, Turkish, Meinl, or some of the other obviously high quality options out there. Meanwhile, every drum shop will carry Zildjian, Paiste, and Sabian.

• Members

Internet retailers like cymbals only have done a tremendous job of showcasing individual cymbal's soundfiles, in multiple situations, so that you can hear it before you buy. And in Tony's case for sure, he'll let you return it if you aren't happy. I've bought from him, and I know countless others who have, and the experience is always positive. With companies like Istanbul Agop and Mehmet, Bosphorus, and Alchemy, this is pretty much the normal way to buy them. You have to exhert a certain amount of trust, knowing that you will spend a little less (comparitively speaking) for a much better cymbal that you will most likely be happier with. In the off hand chance you aren't, you return it in the original packing for a different one.

It's a process some of us are willing to go through for these cymbals. $140 to $175 for fully hand hammered and hand lathed 16" to 18" crashes made by the some of the remainder of artisans that made the K. Zildjians? What's an A or an A Custom cost at it's best price nowadays?

I was talking cymbals one day with a drummer in GC and the sales geek had the nerve to walk up to me and tell me that hand hammered cymbals from Turkey were brittle and cracked alot. I've seen more cracked A Customs than any other cymbal. I've layed into my Agops so hard, I swore I cracked them. Nothin. I talked to Tony about it once. He said the cymbal alloys they use are more malleably than those from the Big 3. Probably accounts for the sound too.

• Members

Originally posted by rritter

I second that, in fact my Zildjians (Vintage A's) are on my practice kit and my Wuhans are on my show kit. They are that good.

yes..they certainly are. i cant speak for the Western series, but the S series is {censored}in great. and they dont crack like the chinas. i'd honestly say they can make stuff like agop, istanbul, etc etc for half the price:D

Archived