What cracks a cymbal?

kenm

• Members

Hey All,

Last night I found a crack in my 16" Zildjian crash. I am not sure if I should replace it with the same cymbal or something heavier. I don't want to buy another just to have it break because of the way i am playing it or have my drums set up. I had this cymbal for 3 or so years.

So, what cracks a cymbal?

Ken

• Members

Well, it's actually made from cocaine. :eek::D

Oh wait this is about cracked cymbals, not crack.

:D :D :D

Like DW said, bad technique will cause cymbal breakage, and also putting the cymbal on the stand and tightening down the nut so the cymbal cannot move is a big no-no.

Personally, I have never cracked a cymbal, and I have played some pretty thin cymbals. So I believe that it has nothing to do with the cymbal itself. If you play it correctly and set it up correctly then you most likely will not have any problems. Then again, it can still happen, I mean you are hitting metal with wood after all, but it shouldn't be a regular occurrence.

Good luck.

• Members

Yeah, I busted an 8" crash once. Tiny little cymbal, and I was hitting it way too hard, and driving through it with the stick. It was kinda neat though; I knew the cymbal was ruined, so I just kept playing it. Eventually the bell completely separated from the rest of the cymbal. Two parts. Both extremely sharp and nasty-looking.

/w

• Members

I cracked an A Custom a few years ago. When I looked at the whole situation, I had my cymbals too flat on the stands, and my technique was bad (I struck the edge of the cymbal). I got it replaced, but I opted for heavier cymbals after that for insurance. To correct the problem, I tilted and raised my cymbals slightly so I would be giving myself the chance to hit them properly, and worked on my cymbal striking technique.

Since then, I haven't broken one.

• Members

Good advice up above.

I just want to add, don't change to a heavier cymbal ONLY for durability. You should play the instrument that sounds the best to you. Practice the technique that will help you get the sound you want and make the cymbal last.

Crashes break. Some of them may last longer than others, but in the end, they all meet the same demise. At which point you should stack them on top of each other to make a crasher sounding thing (just be careful of those edges).:)

• Members

I might have cracked a cymbal once.

It broke the first time I played it, I bought it used. 17" K Thin.

I gave it to a kid.

I used my first cymbals for 23 years, Paiste 2002s. I sold them for more than they cost new in 1977. I regret selling them. I used Paiste Signatures for 2 years. I regret selling those. I used Paiste Traditionals, I dont really regret selling those, but never broke one. Im currently using K Customs, And would trade them in a heartbeat for my old Signatures. But Ive never broken one.

When I first started playing, the set had an old K Constantinople that someone had dropped and it had a 3" crack about the middle of the body in the groove. I learned the difference between playing and bashing a cymbal. And then technique, how to hit.

My teacher told me theres no excuse for breaking a cymbal. Buy good ones, they will last a life time, if you take care of them.

Im still buggered about that 17" K.

• Members

I have a 20" Zildjan ride which I've had for my whole drumming career (6 years). Last year it cracked. I still use it, even with an inch long crack from the edge inward, then it has a drill hole and it goes to the right for about 1/2 and inch. Still sounds good.

I just don't have the money to drop on a new one.

• Members

I've broken a number of cymbals, but on the plus side I'm happy that all of them gave me over 10 years before going.

I've broken far more stick on cymbals. When I got my Z medium ride, I was breaking almost a stick a session wailing on the bell. :eek:

The one thing I can really think to add to the thread is you should also consider corrosion. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not occuring. Very abrasive cleaners are probaby the biggest no-no for metal fatigue. Do I use fairly heavy cleaners? Yes. But I shouldn't...

Now that you've broken a cymbal, it would be really good form to check your other cymbals for hairline fractures/fracture nucleation sites around the edge and try to get them out of your play area. If the cymbals rotate after a while of play to come back into your playable area, then you've got a problem with bell warpage or keyholing as well...

• Members

Originally posted by WillyRay

Yeah, I busted an 8" crash once. Tiny little cymbal, and I was hitting it way too hard, and driving through it with the stick. It was kinda neat though; I knew the cymbal was ruined, so I just kept playing it. Eventually the bell completely separated from the rest of the cymbal. Two parts. Both extremely sharp and nasty-looking.

/w

My splash is starting to do that. I think the problem is, I wear plugs when I play and the splash just doesn't carry a ton of volume so I end up ripping through it in an effort to hear it. I need to not do that once I get a replacement. :o

As others have alluded, it's usually a combo of poor technique and bad setup. I too suffered a casualty from having a cymbal too high and too flat so everytime I hit it, I was actually digging into the edge. I didn't realize it initially, but the saw dust all over the place should have given it away. :o One thing I watch for now too is when playing shows when you only have -4 minutes to set everything up and you get your cymbals in good position, but not ideal position leading to possible issues with hitting the cymbal improperly.

• Members

The number one best way to avoid cracking cymbals?

wait for it....

......are you ready?

TELL THE GUITARIST TO STOP PLAYING SO DAMN LOUD!!

:D:D

• Members

Cymbals are primarily made up of copper and tin and both of these materials contain oils...

Any cleaners that contain ammonia (like brasso) will contribute to drying these metals out and making them more brittle and more pron to crack or break... Watch out what kind of cleaners you use to clean your cymbals...

Carry your cymbals in a secure case ...

Dropping a cymbal and landing on it's edge can easily crack or break it, just the same as hitting it on it's edge when mounted on your stand...

Don't try to go through the cymbal with your stick , you need to snap or pop the cymbal with the stick as in the technec of popping some one with wet end of a towel... A cymbal will only produce sound so loud so hitting the cymbal to hard will only produce more of the lower end of the cymbal tone...

If you want louder you need to go bigger in diameter...Being splashes and crashes are generally smaller they sometime take the hardest hits due to being small and not very loud...

Getting a thicker cymbal will only produce a higher pitch cymbal and not louder and can still also crack or break...

Mounting the cymbal to tight on it's stand is not good at all...

TO MASTER THE BEAST YOU HAVE TO FIRST KNOW THE BEAST!!!:thu:

Archived