Gear rape

sidereal

• Members

This sucks... my car got broken into last night. I lost my favorite snare drum (Premier Hammered Brass) and my gig bag. Nothing was visible in the car, it was in the trunk (momentarily)... somehow they knew it was in there. And it happened at my house, no less, generally a very safe neighborhood.

Now I have to make an inventory of everything I lost and replace it. I had a lot of stuff in there. Pearl Eliminator pedal, snare stand, D112 mic, vocal mic, Shure in-ear monitoring system, sticks, cables, earplugs, etc.

Arg!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:mad:Bummer!:mad:

That really sucks, and it's a little shady that it happened at your house. Got any enemies?

Same thing happened to me my first semester of music school. I was going home to see my folks and we stopped for lunch. I had course books, manuscript boooks with notes and exercises, tapes of lessons and rehearsals, my stickbag, new Dr. Beat, transcripts, other docs. The crazy bit is we didn't notice anything was wrong until we got home. When we went to open the trunk, the lock was all busted up. The bastardos left my dirty laundry bag, though.

• Members

Originally posted by sidereal

Yeah, I'm not a home owner. I rent. I wonder about car insurance though???

Actually, I was renting too. I lost the drums and my stereo. The car insurance covered the stereo, the RENTERS insurance covered the drums. You got Renter's?

/w

• Members

Originally posted by theFoot

:mad:Bummer!
:mad:
That really sucks, and it's a little shady that it happened at your house. Got any enemies?

Funny you mention that, because that thought crossed my mind. I don't have enemies, but I'm suspicious because it really is a VERY safe hood, and we live on a street hidden away with no foot/car traffic. What's weird is that after they took the stuff, they locked the doors back up and closed the trunk.

• Members

Yeah, I'm not a home owner. I rent. I wonder about car insurance though???

I have 'full' coverage on my van...only theft isn't covered...

but, DO investigate....this was done by sumeone you know..and who knows exactly what you had in yur trunk....

be it an enemy, or a mischeivous friend....friend with a drinking problem...gambling addiction....

i'd imagine, an 'enemy' might NOT know exactly where you keep your equipment

But anyway, I hate to hear this...it sucks to have to spend money to replace this, because of some 'low-life' !!

• Members

:cry:
No. It's been on the to-do list forever.

Yeah... I think that's bad news. Sorry, bub. I would call your automotive insurance anyway. Maybe there's a 1/1000 chance your policy covers it.

Renter's insurance is key.

So... what're you gonna do? Are you gonna be able to replace the stuff? Is this going to put you out of action for a little while? What next?

Did you make out a police report? What did they have to say about it?

/w

• Members

Originally posted by WillyRay

Yeah... I think that's bad news. Sorry, bub. I would call your automotive insurance anyway. Maybe there's a 1/1000 chance your policy covers it.

Renter's insurance is key.

So... what're you gonna do? Are you gonna be able to replace the stuff? Is this going to put you out of action for a little while? What next?

Did you make out a police report? What did they have to say about it?

/w

Very good idea and an important step...if it's not too late, see if prints can be lifted...with all the 'care' they took to relock doors and close the trunk.....it might be sumone close to you....doesn't sound like the usual thief, who most likely would have stolen the car stereo....rummaged thru the glove box, thru the center console, etc....and not worry about tidying up!!

This also, kinda sounds like it could be a 'prank'...Good luck man...would be nice to get that stuff back!!!

• Members

AMEN! on that, T !!

I don't think anything angers me, more than a thief taking my crap...EVEN if it's crap, it's mine!!

After a few drinks one night, playing pool....I think I almost broke a guys finders...SIMPLY because he took my cigarettes from the bar....

Everyone was like, 'Relax, dude, it's Cigs"!.....

Well, they were mine.....and a thief is a thief...if they'll steal cigaretts, they will steal ANYTHING....

If I would catch sumone stealing my cig lighter($1.49 item), I'd most likely break only a $1.49 worth of his fingers!!

Had to vent.....I hate {censored}ing thieves, also!!!!

• Members

I am a commercial agent . I am afraid you wont have coverage for your missing items. Your auto policy covers your vehicle only. The contents of your vehicle or personal items in your vehicle will be covered under home owners or renters insurance. I am afraid you are going to be out of luck. I have a policy that covers my drums any where they are for theft or damage. it costs only about 30 bucks a year. The down side is it wont cover them if left at a professional gig. The idea of this policy is for amature musicians I don't play clubs anymore and have only left them a couple of times overnight anywhere so I am willing to sometimes take the risk for the premium savings. But it gives me coverage if they are stolen out of my vehicle or hotel or house or somewhere like that. The policy states as long as they are not being used professionaly. If anything where to happen to them I would garuntee that I wasn't playing them professioanally or for profit. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by backtodrum

I am a commercial agent . I am afraid you wont have coverage for your missing items. Your auto policy covers your vehicle only. The contents of your vehicle or personal items in your vehicle will be covered under home owners or renters insurance. I am afraid you are going to be out of luck. I have a policy that covers my drums any where they are for theft or damage. it costs only about 30 bucks a year. The down side is it wont cover them if left at a professional gig. The idea of this policy is for amature musicians I don't play clubs anymore and have only left them a couple of times overnight anywhere so I am willing to sometimes take the risk for the premium savings. But it gives me coverage if they are stolen out of my vehicle or hotel or house or somewhere like that. The policy states as long as they are not being used professionaly. If anything where to happen to them I would garuntee that I wasn't playing them professioanally or for profit.
:rolleyes:

what constiutes 'professionally'?

• Members

What kind of a policy can a professional get?

Smith and Wesson?

A fellow drummer here had the same thing happen to him, except they got his entire kit. Happened right outside his apartment. I let him use my Pearl Masters Custom kit (I had just bought the dw's) on a long term loan. Told him he can return it when he is in a position to buy a new kit.

• Members

As T Hoffman asked "what constitutes professionally" I take it to mean any gig where you are being paid to play. I think the point would be arguable if you were palying for wedding or party or something. I think the policy intention is to exclude equipment hauled all over the country by gigging or touring musicians. Or regularly leaving equipment in clubs and venues. Coverage is available for these types of exposures. But Insurance companies want to get Premiums that they feel justify the exposure. If you play once or twice a month as I do, I think that the policy I have would suit your needs. Most Insurance companies will offer some type of equipment floater policy like the one I mentioned. (equipment floater) It's an industry term I Know! ;)

• Members

What kind of a policy can a professional get?

I know there are some things offered through PAS and the musicians union, but I'm wondering about private, non-group coverage for a person who's actively gigging.

/w

I used to do P&C insurance. You can (and should) get a rider on either your homeowner's or renter's policy. Make sure you review the policy, because there are limits to what is replaced based on policy limitations.

For example, if you have a $3000 drum setup, it burns to ash in the fire, and you have a personal property limit of $2000, you're 'el screwed'. Personal property will also include computers, couches, etc.

Now a rider for whatever amount will cover a specific thing. Any musician who has more than $500 in equipment needs a rider on all of his or her equipment, in my opinion. Also, take photos or videos of your equipment and keep it in either a safety deposit box or another person's house. Now you have a record of the equipment you did have.

Auto won't cover the things in your car that aren't stock or part of the original vehicle. I would get daily calls from clients wondering if their CDs were covered when their car got broken into (sorry, no dice).

And if you rent, GET RENTER'S INSURANCE! It usually only runs about $10-$15 a month. Friggin' dirt cheap to protect your stuff from the assholes in the apartments above and below you.

• Members

RockBass is correct in what he stated. You can do it either way either with a rider as he stated or a seperate policy. The policy I own is for replacement cost. sometimes as RockBass stated the Rider will only cover so much. And sometimes it is not for replacement cost but for the value of the stolen items at the time of loss. An example would be., what would a Pearl Export kit purchased in 2000 be worth if stolen in 2006. What you could buy a 2000 year kit that is six years old is all you would be able to get from the insurance claim, The floater policy I have would replace my kit new as it was purchassed originally. So you need to be careful about these issues as you shop for a policy as well.

• Members

Interesing thoughts. Two things I think I'll now give more serious consideration to:

1. Renter's insurance

2. A car alarm

What makes it creepy is that it happened in my driveway... so the punk knows that I play drums. So now I'm concerned about someone breaking into my house.

And this may solve a previous mystery. One day a couple months back, I went out to the drive way to find my trunk slightly ajar. I looked inside and my cymbal bag with all my cymbals were gone. I figured I had left the trunk open accidentally (although that had never happened before) and that they had most likely fallen out while driving on the highway. But now I think possibly the same guy did both jobs.

The brain goes all paranoid when these kinds of things happen. Now I don't trust anything or anyone.

Archived