Remo Emperor X??

MattACaster

• Members

Ohh, bro, the most underrated drum head ever. Really good head. Not as deep sounding as people think. It gives the snare a really thick, strock, medium pitch, and doesn't tottaly kill the ring. When you first put them on they sound really flat, but when you tighten them a couple of times, and they get broken in, wow, you are in for a treat. Believe it or not, I like it on my maple more than my brass.

• Members

hey man, have you tried the evans st dry yet?? WOW!! that is an awesome head!! i have it on my aluminum snare, and it gives it such a nice sound! its got dry vents along the edge so it doesnt ring too much, but just right! no dampening needed! its sweet. try one out if u can!

• Members

Originally posted by sherman22

Fiberskins are calf--like heds, made to replicate the warm sound of old jazz albums. But, the fiberskin coarting, wears away like any other coating, and they come in the standard weights, emperor, ambassador, diplomat.

Hmmm... doesn't sound like what I'd want considering I'm a metal guy... :)

• Members

Fiberskins make snare drums sing, go for it. Also, the renaissance are really nice under brushes too. I have been really into brushes lately, What brushes do you like? I find the Regal tip Hamiltons are nice, but my buddy swears by the zildjian ones. Recommend anything?

• Members

Originally posted by tmetaler

hey man, have you tried the evans st dry yet?? WOW!! that is an awesome head!! i have it on my aluminum snare, and it gives it such a nice sound! its got dry vents along the edge so it doesnt ring too much, but just right! no dampening needed! its sweet. try one out if u can!

I've never heard of those. The only Evans I've ever tried are the hydros on my toms and this POS EC2 on my snare. I'll look into that. Thanks!

• Members

Edit: This conversation moved here.

Originally posted by sherman22

Fiberskins make snare drums sing, go for it. Also, the renaissance are really nice under brushes too. I have been really into brushes lately, What brushes do you like? I find the Regal tip Hamiltons are nice, but my buddy swears by the zildjian ones. Recommend anything?

These Steve Gadd brushies are supposed to be pretty good:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vic-Firth-Steve-Gadd-Wire-Brushes?sku=447684

But I haven't tried them.

I've spent most of my brush time on the standard, anonymous retractable brushes with the black rubber handles. Old-standby, pretty much no matter who the manufacturer is.

I recently picked up a set of these Regal Tip 550Ws.

http://regaltip.com/phpshop/htdocs/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=46&category_id=c14a1ced6db4242e3b58f444677a8107&PHPSESSID=48af14249c0ccf52d7f18e24947c443d

Got them mainly because I had never had a pair of brushes like them (wood handle, non-retracting), and I wanted to increase my knowledge of different styles of brush. They're nice. I leave them in the plastic sleeve in which they were sold to me, so they don't get munged up in my bag. So far, I like them fine, and it's nice to be able to get a different sound with the wood handle. Overally, though, I probably won't buy them again. I was thinking I'll evaluate the Gadd brushes next, but now you've turned me on the the Hamiltons, I may do that. Jeff Hamilton is an AMAZING brush player (not that Gadd isn't).

/w

• Members

Originally posted by tmetaler

+1....I use this same head on my Pearl snare(birch) very easy to control any unwanted rings....I've played it at a couple different tensions.....even if it's not your fave sound, you'd not be 'totally' disappointed with it:thu:

Archived