How do I get my songs into the open?

• Members

Hello,

How are things?

I was wondering how I should go about to get my songs into the open, in other words how do I get my songs to be listened to by "the audience".

I've started a thread at the Songwriting forum ( just in case you might be interested) where you can listen to my songs.

I'm asking other musicians to have a listen.

If the feedback is good I'm thinking of putting them on a download site. And of course I'll try to get the "big" industry interested.

But now with the internet going on we, as musicians, have an audience just a few clicks away. And the means to let our tracks be downloaded without some record company breathing down our necks BUT...........Where do I click to reach that audience and make my songs known???!!!

And how can I find trustworthy downloadsites?

How can I prevent my work from being stolen?

Any Ideas will be welcome.

With kind regards, P-Alpha.:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It sure seems like a multi-pronged approach is in order ( I am surely no expert on distribution, but as a curious listener, I find no definitive resource...but then again having one would bring us back to a "megalith" type architecture people complain about)

Just a thought on possible avenues

at least one of the Sat radio services have an

unsigned" channel - perhaps you can submit your work for rotation

Depending on the type of music, perhaps you consider sending it to progressive programs such as "spinning on air"

How much would this help in achieving popular profitability (if that's the goal)...I don't know, but have my doubts - but in terms of releasing performance material for a potential niche or for people to enjoy...can't hurt

• Members

i forgot to add the fact, that along with web-based distro/recognition methods, you can always submit things to local indie radio stations... many of them would be happy to play your stuff if you ask nicely.

if you're interested, you can send music to:

wmxm att. nick rennis, box 395

555 n. sheridan rd.

lake forest, il 60045

that's our addy here at lake forest college's wmxm radio station. we've been recognized as one of the most promising chicago-land indie stations. we report to CMJ weekly and have concerts almost regularly. chances are good that at least one of our many dj's would be interested in your stuff... so yeah, get your music out there!

• Members

Hey,

how goes it?

Originally posted by MorePaul

It sure seems like a multi-pronged approach is in order ( I am surely no expert on distribution, but as a curious listener, I find no definitive resource...but then again having one would bring us back to a "megalith" type architecture people complain about)

True, but when you want to find music, as a listener, on the internet....how do you start your search. You'll have to start somewhere. What captures your attention, a title, a style, a picture, recommendation from a friend.

What is your approach?

Just a thought on possible avenues

at least one of the Sat radio services have an

unsigned" channel - perhaps you can submit your work for rotation

Do you have alink or name(s) perhaps?

Depending on the type of music, perhaps you consider sending it to progressive programs such as "spinning on air"

Sorry I don't know those programms. What are they?

How much would this help in achieving popular profitability (if that's the goal)...I don't know, but have my doubts - but in terms of releasing performance material for a potential niche or for people to enjoy...can't hurt

The latter is at least my goal. To let my work out for those who might enjoy it. Mind you I do not say no to a couple of bucks or making a living of music. It's just that when you create something you want people to taken notice and if by any chance you find that people like it it gives you motivation to go on creating, it's stimulating.

In my case I just started out to put some stuff on the internet after people where pleased with it and now the music generated over 4600 streams in just about 5 months so I started wondering id maybe more were interested in it. Hence my question.

For a musician is the fact to be able and make a living of his/her own music a great thing to look forward too.

When others like my music too and want to contribute to the creation of more by buying one track or more that would be just awesome but how to reach them.

Radio is a good one, I'll go and try that.

But where to find links, adresses to stations, anybody familiar with that?

Peace.

With kind regards, P-Alpha:D

• Members

Hey!!

Thanks, you're great!!:cool:

I'll put a CD in the mail this week.

Got your adress noted.

Is your station on the internet yet?

If so ......got a link?

Good luck and lots of success wished to you and your station.

I'll send you a PM about this later allright?

With kind regards, P-alpha.:D

Originally posted by wmxmbd

i forgot to add the fact, that along with web-based distro/recognition methods, you can always submit things to local indie radio stations... many of them would be happy to play your stuff if you ask nicely.

if you're interested, you can send music to:

wmxm att. nick rennis, box 395

555 n. sheridan rd.

lake forest, il 60045

that's our addy here at lake forest college's wmxm radio station. we've been recognized as one of the most promising chicago-land indie stations. we report to CMJ weekly and have concerts almost regularly. chances are good that at least one of our many dj's would be interested in your stuff... so yeah, get your music out there!

• Members
Originally posted by Project Alpha

Hey,

how goes it?

pretty good

True, but when you want to find music, as a listener, on the internet....how do you start your search. You'll have to start somewhere.

It varies - I tend not to default to a single source even for searches, but employ a multi-mode search strategy

Sometimes I'll find a cool little source, but then that dreis up...or a source may have a single certain nniche appeal

That's the bitch and the beauty of networks -- there is a certain decentralization in terms of control

Attractors will build up, but as they solidify (like HC) they tend to become specific unto themselves

Even something as ubiquitous as google -- the problem there is that searches get ""tuned" to a specific way -- sometimes using alternative, less popular engines actually get me where I want more effectively...don't name your cattle as they say

What captures your attention, a title, a style, a picture, recommendation from a friend.

What is your approach?

different things at different times, I personally pref to filter feed - sometimes it is genuinely arbitrary (personally audio programming isn't restricted to music...spoken word , OTR, MAD, audiobook, enhanced audiobook, poetry, soundscape)

Do you have alink or name(s) perhaps?

To the satelite systems?

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Page&cid=1019257316790

The first topic is actually "send in your recording"!!!

try XM as well

Sorry I don't know those programms. What are they?

Spinning on air is an elcectic radio program by David Garland in New York

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/spinning

It's fairly popular, but the host is very easy to contact

oh, maybe make a distribution pack that can be released P2P (legal torrents, etc) - pick up on "podcasts" etc

For a musician is the fact to be able and make a living of his/her own music a great thing to look forward too.

The arts (and not justthe performance arts) are a hard way to go...has been for centuries

• Members

I may be a bit confused here (I just noticed the "how do I protect my work from being stolen?" question)

QAre you looking to SELL the present work?

or to freely release the current work?

I feel less confident now that I'm understanding the specific project goals here

• Members

Hey,

Why would you feel less confident?

In the end it would be nice to earn money with my work, I guess that's obvious. Who wouldn't want that? One cann't live from air alone.

But that is not what I meant with my work being "stolen".

I guess I should have named it copyright.

See if it's floating freely on the internet ( which it will anyway) anyone can claim it if you cann't prove in one way or another you made it in the first place. So there must be a fixed date and name from the one who created it at first attached to it.

Now I know how to do that in my country, but the internet knows no boundaries. So how do I go about that?

Not that I'm that famous, hahahaha, no no just trying to do my thing here. But much effort is put in creating a song one way or the other. A good or a bad one doesn't matter, the effort is the same. It would be ashame if another than runs off with your effort, ennit?

My specific goals???

Get world fame, hahahahahaha!!!!!!:cool:

Who wouldn't go for that??

But seriously, my main goal is to be able and express myself through my music and main instrument, the bass guitar.

Play effortless what comes into my mind/heart.

That's my main goal.

Cool?

With kind regards, P-Alpha.:D

I may be a bit confused here (I just noticed the "how do I protect my work from being stolen?" question)

QAre you looking to SELL the present work?

or to freely release the current work?

I feel less confident now that I'm understanding the specific project goals here

• Members
Originally posted by Project Alpha

Hey,

Why would you feel less confident?

Just on reread of the original post I felt less sure what your specific goals were

In the end it would be nice to earn money with my work, I guess that's obvious. Who wouldn't want that? One cann't live from air alone.

I'm wondering about project goals as opposed to ultimate goals (ie what are you trying to accomplish with this particular release as opposed to "in the end")

But that is not what I meant with my work being "stolen".

I guess I should have named it copyright.

See if it's floating freely on the internet ( which it will anyway) anyone can claim it if you cann't prove in one way or another you made it in the first place. So there must be a fixed date and name from the one who created it at first attached to it.

Now I know how to do that in my country, but the internet knows no boundaries. So how do I go about that?

copyright is largely international these days through the Berne Conventionon.

My specific goals???

Get world fame, hahahahahaha!!!!!!

great mission statement, now we need requirements and design specs :p

but seriously, my questions of goals aren't so much directed as "ultimately" but more "for this project"... next week...this afternoon...the next single move

• Members

Hey,

how goes it?:cool:

[bJust on reread of the original post I felt less sure what your specific goals were

I'm wondering about project goals as opposed to ultimate goals (ie what are you trying to accomplish with this particular release as opposed to "in the end")

I have no specific goals other than to produce my music through this project. I don't know...it's just a way of expressing myself. For the listener it's hopefully an enjoyable or at least some kind of experience and not just a matter of getting an empty gaze and sitting it out, hahahaha. In this case it's not in the eye of the beholder but much more the ear I guess.

While making this music it touched a lot of emotions and feelings of myself which were poored into it. You or someone else might not even notice it. In fact the music/project has fulfilled its purpose already for me on a personal level. Simply because of the fact I'm able to do this for the first time in my life, man that feels great.

But, as any creative artist would want, now I'm finding out that others like my work to, though it is still very rough around the edges I think. So that stimulates me to go on, it's like a kind of language. A short story or a journey to another place. For me it is anyway.

It is not so however that I can sit down and presto I have a new tune. I know there are some who are able to do that and I wish I had that capability as well. But no, I have to wait for a tune, a note, a sound, a basslick, an image, a colour to pop into my head or from my bassguitar while practising for excample or when just walking or cruising around ( without the bass of course, hehehehe). When I'm near my house and a melody pops into my head I have to rush home and play/record it or its gone.

Don't know much about how other musicians work but I cann't force a tune to come out, I have to wait.

copyright is largely international these days through the Berne Conventionon.

Eerrrr say what???

great mission statement, now we need requirements and design specs
:p

Hahaha, indeed.

but seriously, my questions of goals aren't so much directed as "ultimately" but more "for this project"... next week...this afternoon...the next single move

I hope I was able to explain that to you in the above lines.

Thanks for your interest man and I do hope you enjoy music in general and maybe mine a bit as well.

With kind regards, P-Alpha:D

Archived