Which is easier for quick setup/teardown

kannibul3

• Members

Rack, or standard mountings?

I'm debating on moving to a rack since I do want an assload of cymbals, it'd make for better mounting possibilities.

That said, Mapex makes some double and triple stands I could probably leverage to do what I want - just that they aren't exactly cheap...and I'd probably spend a good chunk towards the rack idea otherwise...

So, I guess it comes down to which is easier to setup and tear down, which is quicker, and finally which can take up less of a spacial-footprint.

Thanks!

• Members

I have a rack, and it definitely has less of a footprint than my 6 stands had. Placement is not a problem, because if you have your boom arms memory locked, they just drop into the multi-clamps (which never leave the tubes) and everything is in the same place you had it before. I can set up and tear down my rack faster than the 6 stands, because the stands all required placement, where the rack is just one item to place. Adding new pieces to the rack is a dream. I used to have to fart around for a day and a half figuring out how and where I was going to fit something. Now it takes about 5 minutes to add a new cymbal, drum or percussion piece.

• Members

I have a Pearl i-con rack with 6 clamps, I only use 2 sides. It is nice once set up, but you do have to transport it and it only gets so small. Yes you can take it apart but that defeats the "quick set-up". If youy use the 3 sides its going to be big to carry. I am torn, I have a Mapex Saturn with 12, 14, 16 all hanging toms and I do have 3 multi-stands that hold the toms and 5 cymbals. Its a virgin BD so the 12 is on a stand as well. I have a golf bag w/wheels and all stands go in it. So with the Hi-hat stand and snare stand I have a total of 5 stands that have to be placed. I can do this quickly. You have to weigh that against carrying the rack to and from the gig.

The rack is solid and you can move most of your set at one time when there is another band coming on stage. I have decided that its not that much different. Right now i'm going with the stands. Thats my 2 cents.

• Members

I had a rack with my first set. IMO is faster set up and for sure less footprint with rack. Of course it may differ depending on how simple the rack and how many stands you now have. In my past was like cqc, rack held rack toms and cymbals, slide out the Bass and snare, move over the far right cymbal stand....lift the rack and move, quick and easy to move set.

BTW, what part of OK? I grew up in OKC.

• Members

I've got a rack and use it for the gigs, and use two stands for practice.

1 tom crash and jam block on one stand ride off the bass, snare stand and if you count the hihat than three.

But when gigging I use a gibraltor rack cause I got a {censored} load of cymbals and toys. I love it.:thu:

I say, what ever works for you :D

• Members

Originally posted by aqualung211

So.....2 crashes, a ride, one rack, and two floor(12 and 14).....bad idea for a rack?

the 12 and 14 are suspended, no?

think of it this way, if you like:

how many tripod stands are you using?

Is your rack tom mounted on the bass drum; if so, does that bother you?

how many tripods can you eliminate by using multiclamps? Will that be aesthetically pleasing to you, or a pain in the ass?

I played a setup like yours, plus one rack tom, (10,12,14,16) successfully with two tripods. one for a crash, one for the 14,16, ride and other crash. That tripod is a BEAST. My up toms were on the bass drum. I could have eliminated the crash stand with the third input on my BD mount, but I hated how it looked.

No problems, no rack necessary.

• Members

Originally posted by fesswrx

I use a rack and can leave all my booms attached to it in the van. All I have to do is loosen the multi-clamps and bend the arms in. Can set up in under 5 minutes, very handy set up to gig with IMHO.

If you've got the transport to move a rack without disassembling it, that's golden.

if you have to break the rack down all the way how much longer does it take to set up?

I have to fit my kit in a hatchback.

• Members

Originally posted by fesswrx

I use a rack and can leave all my booms attached to it in the van. All I have to do is loosen the multi-clamps and bend the arms in. Can set up in under 5 minutes, very handy set up to gig with IMHO.

Thats what I do when I gig. Fold it up as much as possiable, I ussaully ask one of my guitarist to help since they don't have much to break down.

• Members

I don't use a rack, although I do appreciate a nice one when I see it.:D No really though, I have seen some people cram a set with a rack into some pretty tight spaces, so that is a huge advantage. I use memory lock on my stands and toms, same as cheese. For placement, which is still not as easy as a rack but this is if you don't have one, I use foam (some kind of foamish material) floor mats that you can get at a hardware store. They interlock and come in 2'x2' so you can create what ever size you need. The leave a nice little divot where your stands, bass drum anchors, floor toms go. And they are relatively inexpensive.

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

If you've got the transport to move a rack without disassembling it, that's golden.

if you have to break the rack down all the way how much longer does it take to set up?

I have to fit my kit in a hatchback.

I can fit it all in my 4 door Impreza but it is a bit tougher. I would have to take off the booms from the rack and take the sides of. So lets see thats the remove of 9 multi-clamps, two of the booms slide down inside the rack tubes so that helps a bit too. I would guess add 10 minutes for a full rip down like that.

• Members

Originally posted by the DW

Which is easiest for quick setup/teardown?

I think there is a point at which stands are easier by far, but once you add too many of them and start to get into the gray area, you reach a period where the rack is easier because of placement and such.

I would say a four or five piece kit with one or two floor toms [legs], two crashes and a ride is easier to set up and tear down on stands than it would be on a rack. Now if you added three or four more cymbals to the mix, and maybe a cowbell/block setup, then the stands would get to be a pain in the ass. A rack would probably be faster then.

• Members

I use a rack, I mount my 12"+13" toms, my cymbals (17", 18" Crash, 18" China, 20" Ride) and my drum brain.

I used to use 3 stands and a multiclamps

Stand 1: 17" Crash 12" Tom Clamped on

Stand 2: 20" Ride, 13" Tom Clamped on

Stand 3: 18" Crash, 18" China Clamped on

this worked but...

1.The stands didnt seem that stable, my hardware wasnt top of the line but still fairly decent

2. The tripod bases of the stands would usually get in the way of each other.

Life is a lot easier with the rack, I have marked all my boom arms and parts with a marker and even though it isnt precise everytime (for whatever reason) it only takes me about 5 mins to fine tune.

I have to strip the whole rack down 9 out of 10 gigs but my friend who drives me to gigs is a drummer to so helps me set up :D

• Members

Originally posted by twosticks

I had a rack with my first set. IMO is faster set up and for sure less footprint with rack. Of course it may differ depending on how simple the rack and how many stands you now have. In my past was like cqc, rack held rack toms and cymbals, slide out the Bass and snare, move over the far right cymbal stand....lift the rack and move, quick and easy to move set.

BTW, what part of OK? I grew up in OKC.

I'm in Jenks (suburb of Tulsa)

• Members

Originally posted by cheeseadiddle

I think there is a point at which stands are easier by far, but once you add too many of them and start to get into the gray area, you reach a period where the rack is easier because of placement and such.

I would say a four or five piece kit with one or two floor toms [legs], two crashes and a ride is easier to set up and tear down on stands than it would be on a rack. Now if you added three or four more cymbals to the mix, and maybe a cowbell/block setup, then the stands would get to be a pain in the ass. A rack would probably be faster then.

I used a 4-piece Pearl kit with two crashes, a ride, a splash, and a Zil-Bel... and the rack was infinitely faster even for that tiny setup.

Right now I've got a 4-piece Gretsch kit, and I'd really love to stick it all back on the rack, but I just don't like the way it looks. Sounds stupid, I know, but I love the way my setup looks right now, and with a rack, it just looks wrong, and it's a sparkle wrap so it's quite visible. I dunno.

I have a Pontiac Vibe and I couldn't fit the rack in there without taking it apart. All I did was unclamped the two rack legs. Now I've got three pieces. Carry both legs in on the first trip, carry the center bar, hi-hat stand, and snare stand on the second trip, and grab the throne and drums on the third. Easy. With stands, I'm using like six of 'em, so not only is that a couple trips, it's time to extend and place them all, too.

• Members

Originally posted by JBrig

I have a Pearl i-con rack with 6 clamps, I only use 2 sides. It is nice once set up, but you do have to transport it and it only gets so small. Yes you can take it apart but that defeats the "quick set-up". If youy use the 3 sides its going to be big to carry. I am torn, I have a Mapex Saturn with 12, 14, 16 all hanging toms and I do have 3 multi-stands that hold the toms and 5 cymbals. Its a virgin BD so the 12 is on a stand as well. I have a golf bag w/wheels and all stands go in it. So with the Hi-hat stand and snare stand I have a total of 5 stands that have to be placed. I can do this quickly. You have to weigh that against carrying the rack to and from the gig.

The rack is solid and you can move most of your set at one time when there is another band coming on stage. I have decided that its not that much different. Right now i'm going with the stands. Thats my 2 cents.

I also use the Icon rack. Mine has 9 clamps, I keep it folded up and put all my cymbal arms, set in position, in my trap case. I don't find it heavy to carry, I usually carry the rack in one hand and the bass drum in the other. I swear by racks for working drummers, it's way faster for set up and keeps everything in position

• Members

Even with my SUV, I always tear down the rack and use a rock bag (like a golf bag but bigger wheels) and all hardware fits in the bag. Easy to wheel anywhere.

My rack houses 3 toms, (10,12,14), 2 crashes, a splash, a ride, a china, and a tray for misc stuff. Just a basic PDP with the front and one side. So much easier to set up since it all memory locks to itself, only trick (which is easy) is to place the kick and then the snare stand and hi-hat. Which my array of individual stands, I was always tweaking the cymbal placements during sound check. Now once they are set up, they are just like they were at practice.

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

the 12 and 14 are suspended, no?

think of it this way, if you like:

how many tripod stands are you using?

Is your rack tom mounted on the bass drum; if so, does that bother you?

how many tripods can you eliminate by using multiclamps? Will that be aesthetically pleasing to you, or a pain in the ass?

I played a setup like yours, plus one rack tom, (10,12,14,16) successfully with two tripods. one for a crash, one for the 14,16, ride and other crash. That tripod is a BEAST. My up toms were on the bass drum. I could have eliminated the crash stand with the third input on my BD mount, but I hated how it looked.

No problems, no rack necessary.

Wowsa! I didn't know a stand could hold a ride, a 14, and a 16.:confused:

What brand stand is it? Might look into one.

Archived