ARG why are my toms so high (I suck)

Kevin K Is A OK

• Members
Right! This is me taking great care to ensure that my sticks hit the toms at 90 degrees:

NINETYOMG.jpg

As you can see, I'm fairly inexperienced and only getting something like 85 degrees... for shame.

LOL...if you want REALLY good sound, put your sticks in a pencil sharpener before you do that. :thu:

• Members

I tried that steve, But the nylon plugged up the sharpener...

Wood tips, man! You can't see it in the pic but I'm way ahead of ya Steve, those sharp-ass sticks make good weapons for when a bar fight breaks out, but those stupid cheap-ass drumheads keep denting and getting holes in them for some reason, it doesn't make sense!

• Members
great advice

Thank you so much. I do this with my pedals but there was no reason why I wasn't doing for my whole kit. I've been playing a lot of shows and stuff and have been constantly breaking down and re-setting up my kit and I gradually got to a {censored}tier and {censored}tier set up until it was impossible to play efficiently. Once I started missing toms and hitting rims and stuff I knew something was up! Like I say, I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but thanks a boatload!

I started with the pedals and then got the snare in the right spot that was the keeper I used to always put the snare in last. It's a perfect set up now! Thanks man.

While we're at it, who here has re-lubricated their bass drum pedal? I have a DW 5000 double pedal and I'm almost positive that there are little holes in it to inject some lube. I've never done that before and my "slave" pedal is letting me know all about it. It's squeaking real loud and of course because it's acting like it's riding the brakes it's not kicking back at all so it sucks. What should I use? WD40? KY? :)

• Members

Try to stay away from wd40 its a dust magnet.

Im having dejavu.

Any light grade plastic compatible oil should work. Just make sure you use the smallest you can get away with. Also make sure its not the spring. If it is. Like others have suggested. Stuff it full of cotton. My pearls have felt in the spring.

Mike

• Members

Try to stay away from wd40 its a dust magnet.

Im having dejavu.

Any light grade plastic compatible oil should work. Just make sure you use the smallest you can get away with. Also make sure its not the spring. If it is. Like others have suggested. Stuff it full of cotton. My pearls have felt in the spring.

Mike

Yeah I recently replaced my springs. That made a huge difference. But the slave pedal literally has no lubrication where it should have some. It just squeaks. Even though I have on the tightest tension it can go it barely bounces around at all if you let your foot off. The right one is all over the place though. But I bet it would be best with some lube.

• Members

Yeah I recently replaced my springs. That made a huge difference. But the slave pedal literally has no lubrication where it should have some. It just squeaks. Even though I have on the tightest tension it can go it barely bounces around at all if you let your foot off. The right one is all over the place though. But I bet it would be best with some lube.

Also check the "u" joints. The are another cause of binding on the slave.

• Members

Also remember that the higher things go, the more you have to angle them, and the lower they go, the flatter they'll be. If you have a drum set up "flat" but it's too high, you'll hit the rim. Conversely, if a drum is too low and you have it angled too much, your "impact angle" will be greater than 90 degrees, and the tip of the stick will have a tendency to dig into (and dent) the head.

Tell that to Igor, Old Steve. :)

He kicks ass and his set up is really high and really flat... yet he kicks a ton of ass.

• Members

I'm pretty tall guy and have a 20" bass drum, I would like to keep the toms at 0 degrees but it's not working without an extra stand, they're at about 20 degrees (from the ground level). I can imagine the problem is irksome with a 22'er.

Archived