Is Lars Ulrich Really That Bad?

jacoe99

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't hate Lars' playing at all...As a drummer I think he's top notch and way up there in terms of skills and talents...The guy has layed down the foundations to some of rock and metal's best songs to date IMHO...

As a person though, Lars is a guy who's ego outgrew his playing abilities a long time ago...I had heard a lot about him changing over the recent years, but it took seeing Some Kind Of Monster only once to believe it...He's turned into a compelte jackass...

• Members

I don't hate Lars' playing at all...As a drummer I think he's top notch and way up there in terms of skills and talents...The guy has layed down the foundations to some of rock and metal's best songs to date IMHO...

As a person though, Lars is a guy who's ego outgrew his playing abilities a long time ago...I had heard a lot about him changing over the recent years, but it took seeing Some Kind Of Monster only once to believe it...He's turned into a compelte jackass...

I totally agree I didnt even SEE the actual movie I saw the commercial on a DVD of their videos and he's actually seriously like "If you dont like the way I play, you can leave now" To James Hetfield lol ridiculous

• Members

Oh man you need to see the documentary...It's actually quite good...I don't know I guess I'm just way into the whole "Behind The Music" wth bands I like and grew up with...I love being able to get an inside look at what they are about and how they have changed over the years be it good or bad...

• Members

Lars will forever be a debate to drummers. Back in the `80s, when hair metal and big bombastic simplified parts played on huge kits was king, this wiry little dude with this "take no prisoners and kiss our butt" mentality (better known as "Metal Up Your Ass!") comes along. He played fast, loud, and uncompromisingly. His feet, at the time, were insanely fast (go throw on Ride the Lightning and check out "Fight Fire With Fire") and his band was bringing metal to the actual mainstream. They ended up on radio, they opened for Ozzy Osbourne, and they slowly took over the heavy world with NWOBHM roots.

Lars' style has changed, AS HAVE ALL DRUMMERS'. When looking at Lars now, I agree that the man could benefit from some lessons and some humble pie, but that will not take away from what he helped create and bring about. Guys in the vein of new metal (A7X, All That Remains, etc) owe a lot to Lars' drumming, though what he did from `91s Metallica onwards may not be representative to his contributions to the drumming community.

So no, Lars is not as bad as what some people give you the impression of. Most of those people have big mouths and don't consider the history.

PS: More or less, this is the same concept behind the Carmine Appice thread that's on here

:)

• Members

I can't complain about his playing. He does what he does, isn't the BEST out there, but if far from the WORST.

My beef with him is totally about his attitude. The guy is a little too in love with himself for my tastes. Guys like that need a good ass kicking once in a while to re-learn how to be humble. If he stops by my house, I'll be sure to smack some sense into him.

• Members

In the 'some kind of monster' video, where they're jamming and he plays this utterly {censored} beat then says he's 'just trying to do something different'...pathetic.

Mind you, so was the album. Guess every band just has its time. Pity they couldn't have gone out gracefully.

Steve.

• Members

His drumming was "revolutionary" for that music he was playing at the time that it came out, but in the grand scheme of things he is really nothing all that special.

I think this is a good summation.

• Members

Lars Ulrich = Master of Kick, Snare, Kick, Snare, Kick, Snare......

I personally hate his drumming style. Couldn't think of anything more boring than listening to him on Master of Puppets or anything for that matter.

• Members

Actually, he has always been an ass. When Metallica was just starting out, he'd walk into clubs like Ruthie's and wonder why the world didn't fall to it's knees. Combine that with being a 2 beer drunk...well, you get the picture...

• Members

You know what? Every kid who was ever into metal tried to play Enter Sandman. His drumming has gone to a place that is a little more 2 and 4. But I see that as a sign of maturing. Sure a "drummer" might find it boring, but it may fit the music better. So he played a little more 4/4 in the 90's big deal! It's all about playing to the song, not playing for other musicians to go "wow".

I like ALL of Metallica's music, Always have. I even like St. Anger, though it may not be number one on the list, it's still not that bad of an album.

Sure, Lars might act like a goof, but who gives a crap. He worked harded than EVERYONE here to get were he is, and every drummer into rock music can attribute something to him.

• Members

His drumming was "revolutionary" for that music he was playing at the time that it came out, but in the grand scheme of things he is really nothing all that special.

Actually, I think that because his drumming was revolutionary at the time and had a huge impact on so many who followed, he really is special in the grand scheme of things and his "place" in history is set. I wouldn't argue that by today's standards, or in today's scene, he's not all that special, but if you're talking about the grand scheme of things he is.

I can't think of a person I'd like to hang out with for an hour or so less than him, though.

Mind you, so was the album. Guess every band just has its time. Pity they couldn't have gone out gracefully.

I don't think that one bad album means that the band has had their time. I think that the problems with "St Anger" had more to do with the production than anything. I actually have high hopes for the new one they're working on with Rick Rubin. I think that they (along with Bob Rock) made such a conscious effort to make their album sound less "polished" than their previous efforts that they wound up going way too far beyond "raw" to it just sounding horrible. We'll see what happens.

-Duardo

• Members

You ever notice how, when he starts to roll on the bass drums, they go down in the mix?
:D

I thought I smelled something of the sort as well. I wonder how many takes it takes for his feet to get fast.

Archived