I Like Ringing Snare Drums

sydfan

• Members

Yup. Personal Preference kicks ass. I like a moderate amount of ring in my snare. I've taken to carrying my snare drum back and forth with me to all my rehearsals at school. I can't stand the dull thud that everybody else seems to favor in the rehearsal kits. Funny thing is, when I switch in a snare with some natural resonance, the rest of the band says stuff like, "Boy, you've been practicing!"

/w

• Members

I like some ring, as well. I have no muffling on my snare drum, just a coated CS dot head to take away a slight bit of the overtones. But hey, it's an aluminum snare - you bet it's gonna ring! Makes for a nice live sound, too.

• Members

My snare used to ring all the time, but then I changed the phone number and had it unlisted.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk... I'm here all week, so don't forget to tip your waitresses and bartenders. Oh... and try the veal.

But all kidding aside, depending on the type of music, sometimes I like a subtle ringing sound if it is balanced and offset by a nice phat, deep snare tone to begin with. But if the snare is all ring and no meat, then, to my ears, it would sound more pleasant if you put on a steel claw and scratched a chalk board.

A prime example of a bad ringing snare would be the last Metallica album. The genius who produced that sound set the standard by which all of humanity should strive NOT to achieve. :thu:

Archived