Another Collector's Item To Be Rebuilt (Advice Needed On Replacement Heads)

J.A.G.

• Members

Good Morning Guys,

This old 1965 Slingerland "Modern Combo" is my next project for stripping and bringing back to natural wood. The hardware is beautiful and the shells are magnificent. The bearing edges are like new; old 45 "Round Overs".

slw012k.jpg

I need advice over what kind of replacement heads you would suggest. I have been thinking of putting Evans EC2 Clears on, but I would like to have some feedback from you first.

When this kit is finished, it will be primarily used for Jazz and Classic Rock work. When not in use, it will sit in the studio and keep the other vintage kits company.

Thanks for any input.

• Members

IIRC, 1965 they used remo smooth white ambassadors. (I might have missed by 2-3 years on that though) But some jazzers still used calfskins.

Have you seen the companies that still make natural drumheads? Like earthtones etc?

That's a cool resto project!

I will be looking at my Slingerland book (Rob Cook) to see if I can verify.

• Members

IIRC, 1965 they used remo smooth white ambassadors. (I might have missed by 2-3 years on that though) But some jazzers still used calfskins.

Have you seen the companies that still make natural drumheads? Like earthtones etc?

That's a cool resto project!

I will be looking at my Slingerland book (Rob Cook) to see if I can verify.

Thanks SyntheticTubs,

I'll check out the Earthtones. I'm hoping there may be a more modern head that will give the kit a bit more punch on those speaker like shells but keeping the tones alive.

Thanks Again...

• Members

Thanks SyntheticTubs,

I'll check out the Earthtones. I'm hoping there may be a more modern head that will give the kit a bit more punch on those speaker like shells but keeping the tones alive.

Thanks Again...

If I had my druthers, the modern vintage from Aquarian attain that effect. I prefer those to remo fs.

• Members

If I had my druthers, the modern vintage from Aquarian attain that effect. I prefer those to remo fs.

Is "Modern Vintage" the name of a certain head?

---------------

OK...just looked it up...a very delicate head! Tends to split.

• Members

You mentioned EC2's? I have them and I love them. But for some old vintage drums like this, and you say you're going to use them for jazz, I don't think EC2's bring out the right "sound" for those drums. I don't know if you've tried G1's, but those might be a closer step in the right direction.

• Members

What condition is the finish in? If it's not too bad I wouldn't touch it, and if you were to strip the shell etc, then I would suggest that you go with something similar to what they offered. Changing the finish too much will kill the value of the kit. Also the shell under the current finish may look bad, that's why it's finished the way it is. You probably already know all this, but I just wanted make sure that you destroy the value of the kit.

James

• Members

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. SYMBOLIC, the plastic/foil covering is really, really bad.

The guy I picked this kit up from (100 Bucks!) WITH the double bass pedals / hi hat stand & some old cymbal stands, used this kit to place his beer bong on and god knows what else. It was in pieces spread all over the place.

It was in his basement (dry thankfully) in between chicken {censored} and empty beer cans but over the years it's been used more for bar furniture then anything else.

I took a long shot, handed the 100 over, got all the gear home and was amazed the damage was limited to the plastic/foil.

I don't really care that much about the resale value as much as getting back the tonal qualities of the kit. I LOVE natural wood...so I want to bring it up to par with the same colorations as the rest of my vintage kits. Maple with 5 coats of Oil Based Polyurethane.

So that's the story guys. I'm listening carefully to all your input over the heads.

Thanks again.

• Members

Good Morning Guys,

This old 1965 Slingerland "Modern Combo" is my next project for stripping and bringing back to natural wood. The hardware is beautiful and the shells are magnificent. The bearing edges are like new; old 45 "Round Overs".

slw012k.jpg

I need advice over what kind of replacement heads you would suggest. I have been thinking of putting Evans EC2 Clears on, but I would like to have some feedback from you first.

When this kit is finished, it will be primarily used for Jazz and Classic Rock work. When not in use, it will sit in the studio and keep the other vintage kits company.

Thanks for any input.

I have a 4 piece 60's Slingerland kit. On the toms I put a coated ambassador on top and clear diplomats on the bottom. On the snare I put a Aquarian Modern Vintage head on top and a clear snare ambassador on the bottom with a 20 strand Pure Sound snare. On the bass, I put a powerstroke 3 on the batter and a coated ambassador on the reso.

They've become my favorite drumset, I play them everyday and they rarely go out of the house. Good luck with your project.

• Members

Wellhungarian, Walt D.,

Thanks Guys! I must apologise...I tried to respond last night but my damn router kept switching off. :mad: I hope it stays on today.

Both of your ideas sound very good. I must point out the toms are a single head. So no bottom reso to consider.

With that in mind, would you still suggest the heads you mentioned? That has been my problem from the beginning. With these single head "cannons", I'm a bit in the dark.

(Lord of the P.C.'s, please keep my router on.)

• Members

Wellhungarian, Walt D.,

Thanks Guys! I must apologise...I tried to respond last night but my damn router kept switching off.
:mad:
I hope it stays on today.

Both of your ideas sound very good. I must point out the toms are a single head. So no bottom reso to consider.

With that in mind, would you still suggest the heads you mentioned? That has been my problem from the beginning. With these single head "cannons", I'm a bit in the dark.

(Lord of the P.C.'s, please keep my router on.)

What comes to mind is Dead Ringers. Remember those?

Archived