new calling for me..

guitarjedi33

• Members

hey guys, i need some advice... i've always been a guitar player who owned drums but never really played them... never dropped the axe long enough to take it up, but now i have started to play and i need some good advice.. what is the best instructional video out there.. not sure how advanced i need it to be.. i can keep a beat to almost any style of music but i can't play a fill to save my ass... any suggestions??:confused:

• Members

A good drum teacher will be more valuable to you than any book. Even if you only get one or two lessons to begin with, at least then the instructor can see how you are with your playing and point in the right direction in terms of study material to get where you want to be.

• Members

Hey Jedi, where in Okla?? I'm originally from OKC!

Yes a teacher is the best because you have a live person there to show you how. Best thing to learn first is rudiments (is like guitar scales in a way) is learning different rythem patterns and can be played on any drums.

But also Carmine Appiece's Rock Drumming, beginner books or DVD's by Steve Gadd, Jeff Pocarro,

Practice, practice and even more practice. Every drummer has problems with keeping time, getting used to hitting different drums, keeping foot work going, while doing fills. Do some warm up playing all over the drums. It won't sound good at first until you learn time. Play a rythem on one tom and then another.

Play rythems all around the set. Get used to hitting different stuff and try to do in time. Even if it's one-two-three-four....Snare,tom, tom, crash cymbal...snare,tom, tom, crash, snare, tom ,tom, crash and then add the bass etc. Stretch out before playing and relax. tensing up makes it hard to play fills. let yourself fail and suck, you are just starting to study.

Hope this helps, main thing practice and studying more and getting a teacher will help answer many questions much quicker dealing with you live

• Members
Hey Jedi, where in Okla?? I'm originally from OKC!

cherokee.. in northwest ok.. i have checked into a few guys who give lessons but it is really tough for me to schedule lessons with the job i have.. i have the most screwed up hours ever... thought i'd get a jump with some dvd's or such.. thanks for the advice guys...

• Members

+1 on the teacher. In addition to showing you how to do things, they can spot what you're doing WRONG and correct it. My DVD player has yet to be able to do this for me.

At this point, learning the REAL basics like how to hold the sticks and how to actually hit the drums are things that you need to learn properly, since everything else flows from these basic fundimentals.

• Members

Is Cherokee out near Woodward??

I Would keep talking to a local teacher and just explain your situation. Try to work out at least a "few" lessons when you can if nothing else than to give you a few pointers.

Just like you can watch a guy swing a hammer or saw something for one minute and give him all kinds of tips on how to be more effective, same thing with teacher watching you drum.

If you are looking for a "home study course" , look for a beginner DVD. Look for Beginner drumset methods. If you will apply yourself somewhat, that will help greatly as there is no "study this and you'll be a great drummer" just as like guitar. Surf the web, check out music stores locally and in bigger towns when you get a chance.

Biggest thing is keeping solid time with a solid beat for at least two minutes, rolls, fills, crashes, etc come with studying and practice. Good luck and let me know if any more advice is needed....:thu:

• Members

In the meantime, if you can play a song and keep a beat with it....Play along with a song that you can keep up wioth the beat.

Break down the song. work on playing the intro and until the chrous, keep playing that until you get it down, then work on the intro and then through the chorus and then the middle solo. then once you get the intro, middle chrous and solo middle piece, then work on the rest of the song. If you get frustrated, just play something for fun. I used to and still do play along with song intro 19 times if I have to when I'm learning a new song. Was a lot of rewind, play rewind play, rewind play, play rewind play, etc.

Can also just play a beat with just you, nothing else, play that beat all around the set, just get used to playing all around the set. One of the first songs I learned to play was "I saw her standing there" by the Beatles, fills are on the snare. It through me off to hit the tom at first, I played the whole song on just the tom at times just to get used to hitting the tom. Play around and practice over and over, pratice and getting used to your set is the biggest part. Sorry so long

• Members

hey guys, i need some advice... i've always been a guitar player who owned drums but never really played them... never dropped the axe long enough to take it up, but now i have started to play and i need some good advice.. what is the best instructional video out there.. not sure how advanced i need it to be.. i can keep a beat to almost any style of music but i can't play a fill to save my ass... any suggestions??
:confused:

Book: The Drumset Musician by Rod Morgenstein and Rick Mattingly. The book is a practical application of playing the drums in a musical context. They start you out with playing 1/4 note and 1/8 note rhythms, then they show you fills to go with those rhythms and then you apply both of those in a play a long tune that is included on the CD. Then you move on to 1/16 note rhythms, fills for those rhythms and apply those on a tune.

Video: Kenny Aronoff: The Basics of Rock Drumming

• Members
Is Cherokee out near Woodward??

]

pretty close to it... it is about an hour northwest of enid... hey thanks guys... i have followed up and found a felloew musician to come show me some chops and have ordered a couple of the instructionals listed...

• Members

Cool beans Jedi! Glad to hear it! I would also check out the material Hungarian mentioned. I am self taught and would so recommend some proper lessons and learing to read drum music and instructional CD and DVDs.

I wish I knew what you know about contracting! I would make my wife so happy if I knew anything about building. We have built a little laundry room onto our porch and it was so slapped together!:rolleyes:

Some friends we know dryed in an add on for us (A closet and a 8'x12'? drumroom) I know just enough about computers to be dangerous and even less about building.

I guess building is kinda like drumming. It just takes doing it and practice to do it better. THe more you do it the better you get. You'll always make mistakes just like learning guitar I guess.

Well, good luck man! don't be afraid to post if you have any questions. Are mostly semi-pro drummers on here that have day-jobs or families on here. Is some rift-raft from time to time, but the lot of us are okay. Did you practice today????:)

• Members

yep.. practice everyday... lot of times i just drive down the road and beat on my steering wheel (airbag is gonna go off one of these days) wish i could help on the drywall and such but we do oilfield and dirt construction... we build well sites and roads, ponds, canals, and have even built a golf course.. so i drive ALOT... i know it isn't all that safe but i have been getting mad practice hours in... bout eight hours a day on a pad...:thu:

Archived